Page 4 of 80 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

I'm giddy!! I have wanted this for a while. I was being a whiner during reunions run when it seemed like we were getting three more years. Now with Matt's reeves masterpiece and chip writing barman I feel like this is either a simulation or I'm in some purgatory because I never get nice things like these...

Now hopefully went don't spiral into ww3 and we can all enjoy the amazing about to rain down on us...

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm curious if it would have any connection to the Knight miniseries he's doing currently.
    I hope so. I enjoy when a writer expands things out so that it rewards reading more and learning more about the characters and their world. But I also assume he's going to make it new reader friendly.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But then we wouldn't have gotten New 52 Batman and Robin out of it.
    Haha - with respect to that title's many fans, that is a loss I would *happily* accept.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Haha - with respect to that title's many fans, that is a loss I would *happily* accept.
    I tend to agree, though it is a prerequisite for Robin Son of Batman, which I would not accept losing.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I tend to agree, though it is a prerequisite for Robin Son of Batman, which I would not accept losing.
    Yeah, that and Super Sons.

Yeah, that and Super Sons.
    Well. As you might have guess from my previous comment. Losing Super Sons is not something I would mourn personally. And yes, I am aware that this is yet another one of my hot takes. I would mourn losing Williamsons' run much more than losing Super Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Well. As you might have guess from my previous comment. Losing Super Sons is not something I would mourn personally. And yes, I am aware that this is yet another one of my hot takes. I would mourn losing Williamsons' run much more than losing Super Sons.
    Yeah, but I feel like all the stuff we're talking about builds up to the Damian we get in Williamson's run, so it's all important .

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

I really like(d) Zdarsky's DD run (read the first 3 volumes), but only to an extent. I felt he had really cool and interesting ideas, but the execution was just not there for me. Some odd characterization, Matt getting laid every other issue, some real generic dialog (which could be Marvel mandate, who knows), etc. I have a feeling it may be more of the same for Batman - great ideas and new, cool things...but lots of and *eyeroll* moments, too.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Even Morrison acted like Tim was still Batman's partner in initial stages of Batman Inc. and Tynion wrote Tim as willing to drop everything to be there for Bruce like a proper Robin. Although at the same time that does kind of lend itself to the idea that Tim has a hard time moving on, even though he was one of the best Robin's as a Robin.
    In Morrison's run Batman started interacting with Damian as Robin (and wanted to ground him permanently) only in second part of Batman Inc. so I think it makes sense that Tim was treated as Batman's partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    I really like(d) Zdarsky's DD run (read the first 3 volumes), but only to an extent. I felt he had really cool and interesting ideas, but the execution was just not there for me. Some odd characterization, Matt getting laid every other issue, some real generic dialog (which could be Marvel mandate, who knows), etc.
    Ha, interesting - I have kind of the opposite take on his DD. In terms of themes and ideas, there's nothing new, but the execution (characterization, dialogue, pacing, etc.) is just so excellent it doesn't matter.

Your mileage may vary, as the kids say.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    Ha, interesting - I have kind of the opposite take on his DD. In terms of themes and ideas, there's nothing new, but the execution (characterization, dialogue, pacing, etc.) is just so excellent it doesn't matter.

Your mileage may vary, as the kids say.
    To be 100% fair, my experience in DD is limited (I've only read Man Without Fear and chunks of Waid's runs. Not counting his appearances in other media). However, I've seen more portrayals of Kingpin in other books and wouldn't take him to be so...I dunno, I don't want to say incompetent, but the bathroom murder scene seemed like a loss of control. He even broke down mentally a bit, right? Just made me NOT respect the KINGPIN of all ppl, which I feel shouldn't happen to that character.

And the whole situation w/ Matt and the bookstore lady and some of her dialog/mentality when she'd get angry at him later in their "relationship" just seemed forced and generic. I dunno, maybe it is just me.

But I did like the idea of Matt having to go to jail, Elektra being the new DD, Matt getting in relationship w/ a mob wife, etc. But as I said, to be fair, maybe that's all already happened in the past lol.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Great news on the writer! The Knight has been great so far and Daredevil is a blast (even if it's basically a greatest hits). Zdarsky writes characters over city on fire nonsense (though can bring that, too) and that is so needed on Batman.

I'm so pumped for this. And with Tamaki nailing it on Detective Comics I'm excited to look forward to both books again.

On Jimenez, I love the art but hope DC has an appropriate fill-in penciller because I don't think Jimenez can't do a non-stop monthly schedule. Maybe a certain penciller on The Knight whose art I adore...

Also, Tim is best Robin!
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    I completely agree that Nightwing and Red Hood are better in their adult identities, and Damian (in the real world) doesn't really need to be Robin. He has the "son of Batman and heir to the demon" thing. He could probably be called by any moniker and work very well. (That being said, I really hope Damian won't declare himself as the new Ra's at the end of the shadow war and try to reform the leagues).

The problem is that Robin is viewed as a kid's mantle, being a sidekick. That's the reason Dick moved on. When each of his brothers is his own hero, Tim being stuck as the forever sidekick and not his own hero (and being the 3rd Robin and the substitute Robin for Damian when he isn't around really isn't his own hero), doesn't present him in the best of lights.
    Yeah count me in agreement as well. I do think we can have multiple Robins. Especially because Damiens lore explores a different part of the Bat Mythos. Tim can remain a predominately Gotham based or more grounded Robin. Too be honest, his whole character was based around choosing to be Robin. I think it makes sense. Prior to Dick leaving the role, Robin was not seen as a role strictly for kids. It was expected that Dick was going to remain Robin even as an adult. I think that would be my preference for Tim.

But everyone's got their own tastes. I personally haven`t found Tim interesting since Dixons Robin.

Also, there is really not any rule you have to "graduate" from being Robin. Dick did in a story that was specific to him and it took off. Jason only left the role because he was dead 20 yrs and when he was resurrected Tim had the mantle.

Damian became Robin because he juxtaposed Dick well and even though he has remained in the role, Tim has as well.

Even Tim`s most successful identity shift was Red ROBIN. This was also when Dick was acting as Batman. With him in the role of Nightwing, he fills the grown up Robin operating as his own hero niche.

If Tims going to leave the role of Robin, it needs to come with huge and unique status quo shift. A simple name/costume change is not going to do the trick. Pretty sure this is why DC has been hesitant to give him a solo for the past 11 yrs.
    Last edited by Iclifton; 02-25-2022 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Great news on the writer! The Knight has been great so far and Daredevil is a blast (even if it's basically a greatest hits). Zdarsky writes characters over city on fire nonsense (though can bring that, too) and that is so needed on Batman.

I'm so pumped for this. And with Tamaki nailing it on Detective Comics I'm excited to look forward to both books again.

On Jimenez, I love the art but hope DC has an appropriate fill-in penciller because I don't think Jimenez can't do a non-stop monthly schedule. Maybe a certain penciller on The Knight whose art I adore...

Also, Tim is best Robin!
    I would also love to see some Di Giandomenico art on Batman! Even though I hated the run he was on, his art for Detective was so phenomenal back in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    To be 100% fair, my experience in DD is limited (I've only read Man Without Fear and chunks of Waid's runs. Not counting his appearances in other media).
    To be perfectly fair, I’ve only read the first few trades of Zdarsky’s run, so we’ll see if it holds up for me.

Even with a weaker writer than CZ, that Checcetto art would make it worth reading.