Default Picking a bone with Dark Ages #5 (spoilers I guess)

I really, really want to give Tom Taylor the benefit of the doubt. He's done a lot of great work for Marvel (barring that one uncomfortable Captain America moment in FNSM), and his Superman stuff is as left-leaning as corporate superhero books can be, but I was kinda floored to see the below panels in Dark Ages #5 yesterday, especially during Black History Month, and even more shocked that no one is addressing this online anywhere that I've seen. So...has anybody asked Taylor about this? Or is saying this kind of thing not a faux pas in Australia and he just...doesn't know it's rightly viewed as racist over here?

Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 12.01.55 PM.jpg
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

IMO you're reading too much into it. The two Furys are into espionage/counter intelligence and stuff so they can be shady at times. So that's probably the point of reference

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing 2099 View Post
    I really, really want to give Tom Taylor the benefit of the doubt. He's done a lot of great work for Marvel (barring that one uncomfortable Captain America moment in FNSM), and his Superman stuff is as left-leaning as corporate superhero books can be, but I was kinda floored to see the below panels in Dark Ages #5 yesterday, especially during Black History Month, and even more shocked that no one is addressing this online anywhere that I've seen. So...has anybody asked Taylor about this? Or is saying this kind of thing not a faux pas in Australia and he just...doesn't know it's rightly viewed as racist over here?

What am I missing? I don't see anything offensive unless it's not on those panels.. I didn't read it so I don't know the context of the conversation.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    IMO you're reading too much into it. The two Furys are into espionage/counter intelligence and stuff so they can be shady at times. So that's probably the point of reference
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    What am I missing? I don't see anything offensive unless it's not on those panels.. I didn't read it so I don't know the context of the conversation.
    To make a long story short, Nick Fury (Jr.) died at the end of the last issue and when Gabby told Deadpool what happened as the reason nobody was in the mood for his usual s***, that was what prompted Deadpool to get serious and say that Fury was "one of the good ones." Personally, I didn't think he meant it in the racial sense, but insofar as the moral gray zones in espionage/spycraft, Fury was a better person than most in that game. Considering that Peter Parker, who provided the narration for Dark Ages, referenced Fury as someone who took the chance to do his part in making the world a better place than what they'd once had to settle for, it would again be my doubt that he meant for that to be offensive. At worst, he might just not have understood that there could be a racial (or racist) context in calling a black or otherwise nonwhite person, albeit fictional, "one of the good ones." That said, I'd think that if we'd all keep this a forum for respectful and respectable discussion and debate, it might ultimately serve as a good case study for how even the most well-meaning people could still have blind spots concerning things like this.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I saw no racial connotations behind what Deadpool said. I think this is a case of looking into things a bit too much. He just meant that Fury Jr. was a good person that's all. Nothing to do with his race.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Mighty Member

edit: Mods, just delete this thread. I liked Huntsman Spider's idea for how to approach the conversation but lordzone's thrown that out the window right quick, and I don't see it getting better.
    sorry, my post was way too aggressive. It's just that I spend too much time on twitter where this kind of virtue-signaling (I'm not saying that was your case, and I think you were honest in your intentions) tends to stress people out and is often due to trolls. Maybe this thread will lead to interesting discussions, no need to delete it.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Extraordinary Member

people say "one of the good ones" as a high compliment in the context of a eulogy for anybody.

I have heard that phrase "one of the good ones" used ALOT in various war movies whenever someone's friend is killed and the news is related to a commanding officer.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

To be honest I'm surprised Deadpool cared enough about Fury Jr. to care about his death.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest I'm surprised Deadpool cared enough about Fury Jr. to care about his death.
    I think he cares more about Gabby, and seeing how upset she looks. Wade DOES have his moments of empathy, depending on the writer. (Kelly and Duggan for example, Daniel Way maybe not so much.)
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I think he cares more about Gabby, and seeing how upset she looks. Wade DOES have his moments of empathy, depending on the writer. (Kelly and Duggan for example, Daniel Way maybe not so much.)
    I guess, but would Gabby really care? I think she only remembers Fury Jr. trying to hunt her sister down, although I guess that ended well enough.

Maybe my own apathy towards Fury Jr. is coloring my take on this .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess, but would Gabby really care? I think she only remembers Fury Jr. trying to hunt her sister down, although I guess that ended well enough.

Maybe my own apathy towards Fury Jr. is coloring my take on this .
    Considering how far in the future this is and the events of that time...Nick Jr. hunting them is probably nothing she worries about anymore.

This is probably the most people have talked about Fury Jr. in years...