Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

What do people think of the Gold Goblin suit and the interview about the series?
    Last edited by Xwho; 10-23-2022 at 02:57 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    yeah would have boosted his standings among the heroes in the marvel greatly
    Indeed, it sure would have.

Quote Originally Posted by Xwho View Post
    What do people think of the Gold Goblin suit and the interview about the series?
    Interview sounded promising. As for the suit, I like it in the sense of Norman trying to get as far as possible from Green Goblin imagery, but not being able to fully escape from it, given that the media still calls his new costumed alter ego a "Goblin."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Indeed, it sure would have.

Interview sounded promising. As for the suit, I like it in the sense of Norman trying to get as far as possible from Green Goblin imagery, but not being able to fully escape from it, given that the media still calls his new costumed alter ego a "Goblin."
    What do you think will happen if the sales to the series are good or bad?

What do you think will happen if the sales to the series are good or bad?
    If it's good, it lasts longer than the five issues it was intended to last, or it gets a follow-up series or extra-sized one-shot. If not, it's just five issues.

Fantastic Member

If it's good, it lasts longer than the five issues it was intended to last, or it gets a follow-up series or extra-sized one-shot. If not, it's just five issues.
    What are the chances that people will be interested in seeing the Gold Goblin in more depth considering the criticism against Norman?

I could like to see more of him as the Gold Goblin.

With everything he has done they might be able to end this Chapter in his life without him going back to evil or him getting killed, maybe sacrificing him self.
    Last edited by Xwho; 10-25-2022 at 06:10 PM.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

What are the chances that people will be interested in seeing the Gold Goblin in more depth considering the criticism against Norman?

I could like to see more of him as the Gold Goblin.

With everything he has done they might be able to end this Chapter in his life without him going back to evil or him getting killed, maybe sacrificing him self.
    I'd like to see it go beyond the 5 issues and give Norman a shot at redemption, or at least balancing the scales. As it is, I'm sure whatever endgame they (Marvel editorial) have in mind for the series and Norman was decided months ago. Likely the status quo of Norman/Green Goblin will return before long.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    I'd like to see it go beyond the 5 issues and give Norman a shot at redemption, or at least balancing the scales. As it is, I'm sure whatever endgame they (Marvel editorial) have in mind for the series and Norman was decided months ago. Likely the status quo of Norman/Green Goblin will return before long.
    Why do think it was already decided?

It's Cantwell so it's going to be good, and in the recent interview, he said:

"
    In this book, at least these first five issues, the idea was for him to arc in a way where we get him into a place where he's not just motivated by guilt and fear of how awful he is. What does it mean for him to actually do something good and to actually help someone? That is really the journey for him.
    So I'd guess the idea of doing more has crossed his mind or at least hasn't been ruled out, but I'd not be surprised to see it just be the five issue character study it's intended to be.

Why do think it was already decided?
    cause if doc ock cant last as superior spiderman highly doubt norman will be allow to remain good for a long time maybe 3-4 years at best?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    It's Cantwell so it's going to be good, and in the recent interview, he said:

"

So I'd guess the idea of doing more has crossed his mind or at least hasn't been ruled out, but I'd not be surprised to see it just be the five issue character study it's intended to be.
    As someone who started reading his Iron Man for Ben Reilly/Scarlet Spider and stuck around for the excellent character work on Tony Stark . . . I definitely concur.

so what relationship did Osborn have with Howard Stark at all? Just curious.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

As someone who started reading his Iron Man for Ben Reilly/Scarlet Spider and stuck around for the excellent character work on Tony Stark . . . I definitely concur.
    Same, it has been an excellent run.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Incredible Member

It hit me; it makes we wonder if this turnabout with Norman is to make his 616-version as sympathetic as the Tobey Maguire Spidey-verse Norman, or even the 90’s Animated series? That version was never truly a bad guy… but the Goblin persona was.

This could be the comics version to go that route…. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so what relationship did Osborn have with Howard Stark at all? Just curious.
    Not much of a relationship from what I could tell in canon, though the Spider-Gwen: Gwen-Verse miniseries showed an alternate reality where Norman and Howard raised a version of Gwen named Toni Stacy, whose armored suit was called Iron G.W.E.N., which stood for "Guardian Ware Exo Network."

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Same, it has been an excellent run.
    Oh, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    It hit me; it makes we wonder if this turnabout with Norman is to make his 616-version as sympathetic as the Tobey Maguire Spidey-verse Norman, or even the 90’s Animated series? That version was never truly a bad guy… but the Goblin persona was.

Funny enough, that was the route the comics originally went with him in the 1960s and 1970s, before he caused Gwen Stacy's death, then accidentally offed himself trying to kill Peter, and stayed offed for 20+ years until being brought back in the 1990s at the end of the Clone Saga (and as the mastermind of said saga) as a fully, unrepentantly, even irredeemably evil version of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post

It was one of my initial thoughts too. The Dafoe interpretation is something of a popular character himself.

I think more importantly, though, stories like this serve to reinforce why Spidey is justified in not killing his foes -- especially the Goblin. If you want to keep the Goblin around, at some point, there has to be an in-story justification for why Peter never ends him no matter how dangerous he is. The story occasionally has to remind you that he's right to make that call. If Goblisn keeping show up and trying to murder Aunt May or whoever else Peter cares about, at some point, you run into the 'Joker Problem' that's always bandied about. Showing that a character like Norman can evolve reinforces one aspect of Peter's overarching story.

(Stupid Nick Spencer's Mephistol Deal BS should just never be spoken of again.)
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-27-2022 at 07:07 PM.