Default Atomic Pulp's Atomic Action line

I rarely get on twitter, but I got on there the other day to reach out towards Comixology due to the recent changes.
    While I was there, I saw Chistopher Mills' tweets about Atomic Pulp's new shared universe line of comics based on public domain heroes.

With everything going on, and me looking into DRM-free comics, I went to IndyPlanet to check them out.
    I really liked Mills' work with Femme Noir and Gravedigger, so I figured I'd give them a try.
    I purchased all four issues currently available:
    Savage Sagas #1
    Sleuth Comics #1
    Space Crusaders #1 and 2

There's more planned to come out, but issues are releasing rather slowly since it's one writer doing all of them and doing the self-publishing.

I read the first story from Space Crusaders #1 last night, featuring 'Rex Dexter from Mars'. Rex is a character that appeared in Fox Feature's Mystery Men Comics.
    The story was quite good, and the art would put many current comics artists to shame.

From what I can tell, Space Crusaders is an anthology, and will feature a different space hero in each issue.

Something, I would like to see is maybe if Mills could find a reliable co-hort or two to share writing duties with.
    He could do the first stories, establishing the characters and their world, then let the other writer take over for a mini-series or a spin-off.
    I wouldn't mind seeing Rex Dexter return, but with all the other comics Mills has teased, I don't really see how he would have the time.

Regardless, I really enjoyed what I've read so far, and plan to continue supporting Atomic Pulp's new line of comics.
    All of Atomic Pulp's comics can be found, in DRM-free digital PDF or Print-on-Demand, at IndyPlanet.

"There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

They look cool.

They seem to be going for a "What if these forgotten Golden Age heroes had been revived in the Silver Age?" aesthetic, which I dig. I'll have to check these out.

I'm really enjoying them so far.
    Just read Sleuth Comics #1, which is the first appearance of the new Black Owl.
    Rick Burchett did the character design and does the inking.

I liked the Handbook pages for the character.
    I also liked how they treated the character in-story as if he's been around for a while. He already has established foes and some history with the police.
    It reminded me of the '66 Batman show in that regard.

The story also seemed like the most appropriate to begin with as it gives an opportunity for Mills to drop exposition on Black Owl's setup.

Looking forward to the next issue with the new Ms. Fury.

I also liked Mike Lancer, Private Eye. I hope we get to see more of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I'm really enjoying them so far.
    Just read Sleuth Comics #1, which is the first appearance of the new Black Owl.
    Rick Burchett did the character design and does the inking.

I liked the Handbook pages for the character.
    I also liked how they treated the character in-story as if he's been around for a while. He already has established foes and some history with the police.
    It reminded me of the '66 Batman show in that regard.

The story also seemed like the most appropriate to begin with as it gives an opportunity for Mills to drop exposition on Black Owl's setup.

Looking forward to the next issue with the new Ms. Fury.

I also liked Mike Lancer, Private Eye. I hope we get to see more of him.
    But how long ago was that issue released?
    And how long until issue #2?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But how long ago was that issue released?
    And how long until issue #2?
    Soon.

It’s not a big company, and the whole line of comics are being written by Mills.
    So, I’d say… chances are good it’ll come out before the next issue of Sabrina.

Astonishing Member

Looks cool. I have to check out were I can get these.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Looks cool. I have to check out were I can get these.
    They only do print on demand.
    Christopher Mills did a tweet about the reasons why he chose to do print on demand over the regular methods of distribution.
    Long story short: he won’t go bankrupt providing comics of a niche type with a small audience just to do the kinds of comics he wants to do.

They can be found on IndyPlanet.

Astonishing Member

It makes sense. I will take a look.

Wow, these look really cool. I’d never heard of this project but will look it up.

In the near-ish future, the original versions of Superman and Batman could be included!

(I'm more than half kidding - I know the legal vagaries will be too dicey for most people to want to try something like that, even after copyright expires on the earliest issues.)