Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Can the X-Men go back to being heroes already?

I’m sick and tired seeing pretty much all of the characters in the franchise that got me into comics acting wildly uncharacteristic of themselves on a dumb ethnostate where the formerly good characters have adopted the mindset and company of villainous mutants. I thought this pod people schtick was going to be a gimmick and we were going to learn why they started acting so weird, but here we are years later. And we’re just supposed to accept it? Call me crazy, but I want to see the characters who got me into comics be heroic and face hurdles that test what makes them good people. Not annual Met Gala comics with celeb cameos. I mean what the heck happened?
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

So go ahead and read Duggan's X-Men book then. I think it is absolutely what you want from a nostalgic X-Men comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    So go ahead and read Duggan's X-Men book then. I think it is absolutely what you want from a nostalgic X-Men comic.
    I’m not looking for nostalgia. It’s not nostalgia to me because the best X-Men comics IMO, were written prior to my reading my first comic- many f which prior to my birth. I’m looking for the characters to be written on-model. No story in the New Krakoan era gives us that. I guess we have X-Men Legends, but that’s it. And Duggan? Unless his other recent X-Men stories were complete and total editorial mandate, his take is only driving the characters further away from their heroic roots.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

If it seems that hopeless to you, then...you may want to consider stepping away from the X-line for a couple of years or until the new era starts. Because I'm absolutely certain that no current X-writer will be giving you exactly what you personally want and looking for.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Krakoa was meant to be sketchy and had a lot of weird elements, yes. But they've started sanding those edges down and making the place a little more legitimate. And even before then, most characters weren't nearly as messed up as you're making them out to be. And most of the darker elements (Crucible, working with villains) were out of necessity.

As a point of reference, here are some good things they've done during this era: saving the world from demon-mutants, assisting other heroes in events, smuggling endangered mutants out of the country, making it one of their cardinal rules never to kill their oppressors, taking down a serial rapist and murderer, forming an X-Men team against the Quiet Council's wishes, allowing choice humans onto the island even when they don't have to, banishing Sabretooth for killing humans, challenging the Council's rulings to give rights to clones, smacking down villains when they tried to cause trouble, helping Amahl Farouk redeem himself, helping the poor and destitute of Madripoor, and Nightcrawler preaching forgiveness and understanding. Note that many of these happened before they started making Krakoa lighter and gentler.

As for the Hellfire Gala, it's not like the event was just 12 issues of characters huffing farts; they were making big moves and fleshing out Krakoan culture. During that event, there were a ton of moving parts: X-Factor investigated Prodigy's murder; Deadpool snuck in and Wolverine had to stop him before he caused an international incident; the Hellions crashed the party; X-Corp dealt with Fenris; Emma's brother was attacked; Beast's evilness was backfiring on him; they terraformed Mars; the drama in New Mutants was coming to a boil and Gabby was murdered; Rictor and Shatterstar got back together after the former stole from the British, and I think Pete Wisdom was ritually sacrificed by Clan Akkaba during the Gala's time period.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Behind good and heroic X-mens, there were good and heroic-loving authors… There aren’t any of them here (except you, Mr Busiek… ) so, maybe this channel is the wrong one to make this kind of call.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Behind good and heroic X-mens, there were good and heroic-loving authors… There aren’t any of them here (except you, Mr Busiek… ) so, maybe this channel is the wrong one to make this kind of call.
    While I cannot claim to be familiar enough with every X-writer right now, I am of the opinion this is pretty fair to say. You could strip away all the scummy elements of Krakoa and it would not make the writers any more inclined to write more traditional hero stories.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I’m sick and tired seeing pretty much all of the characters in the franchise that got me into comics acting wildly uncharacteristic of themselves on a dumb ethnostate where the formerly good characters have adopted the mindset and company of villainous mutants. I thought this pod people schtick was going to be a gimmick and we were going to learn why they started acting so weird, but here we are years later. And we’re just supposed to accept it? Call me crazy, but I want to see the characters who got me into comics be heroic and face hurdles that test what makes them good people. Not annual Met Gala comics with celeb cameos. I mean what the heck happened?
    It would be nice if the X-men got to be good guys again instead of creepy cultists.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    If it seems that hopeless to you, then...you may want to consider stepping away from the X-line for a couple of years or until the new era starts. Because I'm absolutely certain that no current X-writer will be giving you exactly what you personally want and looking for.
    Yes, do that instead.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Yes, do that instead.
    I have a better idea: reread old issues. They will be more satisfactory to you.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Hey bud, is there any point you'd be interested in chatting? Like in a PM? I don't send PMs to people who don't know me. I find that can seem invasive. But you bring up a topic not only of my interests, but the interests of others

They're still my heroes <33

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

I’m not looking for nostalgia. It’s not nostalgia to me because the best X-Men comics IMO, were written prior to my reading my first comic- many f which prior to my birth.
    Doesn't mean you aren't nostalgic to them.

Anyway, the X-men are heroes, and not just the ones in Duggan's book. The rest is non-sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormultt Divine View Post
    They're still my heroes <33
    Like! When did they stop being heroes? They still protect and serve humanity giving free medicines to impoverished communities all over the world, and giving human refugees free passage and asylum on their private islands. They literally have an xmen team to protect the world from internal and external threats. And one of their main reasons for terraforming mars is to create a barrier world to shield earth from extra solar invasions and attacks.

Like what about that isn't heroic?

Hero stuff.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!