Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    i thought thompson did this issue not wells
    This was on Thompson. They took what the last issue and this their spin. Pacing has nothing to do with the other writers as much as it's more of a lay up like in basketball and let the next writer either sink or miss the basket

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    i thought thompson did this issue not wells
    That's why I made the distinction between the plot and the execution of said plot

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    This was on Thompson. They took what the last issue and this their spin. Pacing has nothing to do with the other writers as much as it's more of a lay up like in basketball and let the next writer either sink or miss the basket
    The story beats are Wells' he needs Ben in a certain place for 93, he's the head writer

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Still reserving judgment until the arc finishes, but as the kids today say, "not a good look".

Devil's Reign Spider-Man on the other hand was serviceable, and Ben did come out looking competent enough (if anything).

spoilers:
    Just weird how the people who said they were going to "patch him up" just leave him at Beyond and go "good luck, buddy" and he is immediately arrested. Again.
    end of spoilers

But I think the story rebounds well enough after that. Unfortunately the one-shot does share an issue with this current issue of Amazing for a couple pages but nothing major. And the ending seemed something 'oldschool' enough in this age where people don't seem to be happy with just lending the hero a clean win.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

BANNED

According to an interview with Ziglar on Marvel's website, I can't be assed to get a link, this story was broken out in under 9 hours. 2 or 3 zoom calls. Then everyone went off and wrote the issues they were assigned or picked up. It shows.

I want to cut Thompson some slack. The Ben and Janine stuff from her Morbius 2 parter was pretty good. Even if the overall arc was a dud. I also don't think she is responsible for the daughters being in this, my understanding is she picked up the issues featuring them cause she wanted to write them. And fair play, I am all for women creators spotlighting women characters. But at this junction in the story I don't feel that Thompson's more playful style was effective. The story focus needed to narrow on What mattered and unfortunately characters that aren't Spider-Man for in the immediate orbit of a Spider-Man don't matter as much in a Spider-Man book. Too much of this issue was spent being silly and I could appreciate that if Beyond had been better.

The buck stops with Nick Lowe and to a lesser degree Wells for executing such a poorly planned and rushed story on such an accelerated time frame with so little coordination between the writers to maintain a sense of consistency or standards throughout the series. It seems as though it was decided that Ben would become Spider-Man and there would be touch points where the overall Beyond plot with the drive and his memories move the a plot forward. But there's no connective tissue and the style and tone veer wildly from one issue to the next. And it feels like there was no editorial or creative imperative to focus on a few important aspects of the book to give the story a sense of momentum and drive and instead each writer just did their own little story and they stitched it together.

Bad form on the Spider-Man editorial team.
    Last edited by MisterC; 03-02-2022 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    According to an interview with Ziglar on Marvel's website, I can't be assed to get a link, this story was broken out in under 9 hours. 2 or 3 zoom calls. Then everyone went off and wrote the issues they were assigned or picked up.

I want to cut Thompson some slack. The Ben and Janine stuff from her Morbius 2 parter was pretty good. Even if the overall arc was a dud. I also don't think she is responsible for the daughters being in this, my understanding is she picked up the issues featuring them cause she wanted to write them. And fair play, I am all for women creators spotlighting women characters. But at this junction in the story I don't feel that Thompson's more playful style was effective. The story focus needed to narrow on What mattered and unfortunately characters that aren't Spider-Man for in the immediate orbit of a Spider-Man don't matter as much in a Spider-Man book. Too much of this issue was spent being silly and I could appreciate that if Beyond had been better.

The buck stops with Nick Lowe and to a lesser degree Wells for executing such a poorly planned and rushed story on such an accelerated time frame with so little coordination between the writers to maintain a sense of consistency or standards throughout the series. It seems as though it was decided that Ben would become Spider-Man and there would be touch points where the overall Beyond plot with the drive and his memories move the a plot forward. But there's no connective tissue and the style and veers wildly from one issue to the next. And it seems as if there was no editorial or creative imperative to focus on a few important aspects of the book to give the story a sense of momentum and drive and instead each writer just did their own little story and they stitched it together.

Bad form on the Spider-Man editorial team.
    Yes bad on editorial team, but doubt Wells did more this part as he helped build what the idea was but this this more towards Nick and the other assistants but this is just a bad issue and can be happy that the next 2 is by Jed and then the big extended finale

Astonishing Member

I just tried rereading it to see if it’s any better under managed (or diminished) expectations and a few pages in and I’m already upset over how goofy and stupid the villains are. As the other poster said it destroys any sense of tension when they’re fighting a rooster in a boxing uniform and a killer snowman. And kittens. I mean, just what the hell. They could’ve made the villains terrifying and cool; hulking monsters, shadow people, aliens, whatever. Instead we get joke fight after joke fight. The lack of cohesion and jarring tones can be blamed on editorial. But these dumb sight gags masquerading as fights are on Thompson; she showed a bunch of stupid creatures in the background of one of the Morbius issues. That was bad enough but could be ignored. But to make these the villains Peter and Ben fight… I can’t even. And then Colleen drives a random car through the roof because? And Ben opens Door Z because? Nothing carries any weight in this issue. And they couldn’t even get Pichelli to draw the whole book. It’s Spider-Man, their flagship character! And they still had to sub the second part with someone who was clearly not ready for prime time.

Incredible Member

Just a quick question. Where has Curt Connors been sine he was separated from the Lizard persona? Was he merged back and I missed it? Obviously they could just flip the switch and say this is Marcus or whatever his name is (I couldn't care less about a random character like him.) And if Connors is still separated from the Lizard, wouldn't Peter remember that since he did see Connors right after it happened?

BANNED

I mean so we don't know that the lizard is Connors. Just because Peter uses that name doesn't really mean anything right? Because you know he's looking at a giant mutated vampire lizard not a person who resembles someone he knows

Incredible Member

I mean so we don't know that the lizard is Connors. Just because Peter uses that name doesn't really mean anything right? Because you know he's looking at a giant mutated vampire lizard not a person who resembles someone he knows
    Yes, that’s a given. I even mentioned that he knows connors and the lizard were separated. So technically it’s not Connors anymore and he shouldn’t have used the name.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Yes, that’s a given. I even mentioned that he knows connors and the lizard were separated. So technically it’s not Connors anymore and he shouldn’t have used the name.
    It's an editor issue as they would know and have it fixed before release or intended and a mis direct and will most likely be Marcus as he is the reason why Jannie escaped

But one cool thing was seeing Maxine actually afraid of Ben when we said he was coming for her
    Last edited by Mercwmouth12; 03-02-2022 at 10:38 AM.

BANNED

I don't think Pete seeing a giant lizard and assuming he's the dude who usually turns into a giant lizard, no matter how often he's been cured/separated/merged/whatever is that big a miss.

I don't think Pete seeing a giant lizard and assuming he's the dude who usually turns into a giant lizard, no matter how often he's been cured/separated/merged/whatever is that big a miss.
    The same lizard also has the tatters of what looks like a white lab coat. Of course you don’t have to be Kurt Connors to wear a white lab coat but it has become his lizard signum =)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I just tried rereading it to see if it’s any better under managed (or diminished) expectations and a few pages in and I’m already upset over how goofy and stupid the villains are. As the other poster said it destroys any sense of tension when they’re fighting a rooster in a boxing uniform and a killer snowman. And kittens. I mean, just what the hell. They could’ve made the villains terrifying and cool; hulking monsters, shadow people, aliens, whatever. Instead we get joke fight after joke fight. The lack of cohesion and jarring tones can be blamed on editorial. But these dumb sight gags masquerading as fights are on Thompson; she showed a bunch of stupid creatures in the background of one of the Morbius issues. That was bad enough but could be ignored. But to make these the villains Peter and Ben fight… I can’t even. And then Colleen drives a random car through the roof because? And Ben opens Door Z because? Nothing carries any weight in this issue. And they couldn’t even get Pichelli to draw the whole book. It’s Spider-Man, their flagship character! And they still had to sub the second part with someone who was clearly not ready for prime time.
    I agree on that part. There was a lot of tension in what was going on with Ben that kept getting interrupted with goofy villains. Maybe I'm too emotionally attached to Ben, but it felt frustrating that it wasn't being treated seriously.

Honestly, though, I haven't given up hope that he'll be okay or okay-ish by the end of the story. I remember being worried during Spider-Geddon (and people on here convinced Ben would be killed off) and that story actually was there to "fix"Ben. Plus, with Lowe supposedly being a fan of the character and some of the comments Wells made, I don't think we're going to end up with a repeat of villain Ben.

I do think that Janine might die, though. Her rushing to help him right after he opens Door Z with him thinking it's a familiar feeling of making a choice that will define him (ie letting the burglar escape that killed Uncle Ben) seems to be pointing to Janine being Ben's new "Uncle Ben" moment. Which sucks.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I agree on that part. There was a lot of tension in what was going on with Ben that kept getting interrupted with goofy villains. Maybe I'm too emotionally attached to Ben, but it felt frustrating that it wasn't being treated seriously.

Honestly, though, I haven't given up hope that he'll be okay or okay-ish by the end of the story. I remember being worried during Spider-Geddon (and people on here convinced Ben would be killed off) and that story actually was there to "fix"Ben. Plus, with Lowe supposedly being a fan of the character and some of the comments Wells made, I don't think we're going to end up with a repeat of villain Ben.

I do think that Janine might die, though. Her rushing to help him right after he opens Door Z with him thinking it's a familiar feeling of making a choice that will define him (ie letting the burglar escape that killed Uncle Ben) seems to be pointing to Janine being Ben's new "Uncle Ben" moment. Which sucks.
    Why fix him to break him up again? He was fine as he was, and they could have created conflict without giving Ben brain damage again.

Marvel went from killing Ben at every chance to damage his brain at every chance. It's all so tiresome