Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Hobgoblin (Roderick Kingsley and others) Appreciation Thread 2022

NOTE: Previous version of this thread:
    First appearance (with real identity unrevealed):
    Amazing Spider-Man #238 (March 1983)

----------------------------------------

from The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Vol. 1 No. 5 (May 1983)

I just got issue 238 (his first appearance) recently. It doesn’t have the tattoos that it originally came with but oh well. I hope to see him in a live action movie someday.

Astonishing Member

Am I the only person who misses Jason Macendale? I started reading Spidey when he was Hobby, so I have a soft spot for him. He was a dangerous loser, made more dangerous by his desperation to prove himself to the criminal underworld. I liked he wasn’t pretentious or mysterious or even that competent. He was just as likely to get the upper hand on Spidey as he was to fail spectacularly. I think he was well-defined too… much better defined than a generic rich industrialist like Roderick Kingsley, who seemed at times to be a pale Norman Osborn clone. Shame he was killed off imo.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Am I the only person who misses Jason Macendale? I started reading Spidey when he was Hobby, so I have a soft spot for him. He was a dangerous loser, made more dangerous by his desperation to prove himself to the criminal underworld. I liked he wasn’t pretentious or mysterious or even that competent. He was just as likely to get the upper hand on Spidey as he was to fail spectacularly. I think he was well-defined too… much better defined than a generic rich industrialist like Roderick Kingsley, who seemed at times to be a pale Norman Osborn clone. Shame he was killed off imo.
    Jason was cloned in Clone Conspiracy and how he died was never shown. So he can come back. I was hoping the unnamed Jack Lantern who worked for the Foreigner in Spencer's run was Jason.
    P.S. Read the Hobgoblin Axis series, it's very funny and cool. Roderick was great in this story.

BANNED

I love me some Rodgoblin. If you ask me, Hobgoblin franchising out other supervillains is the greatest idea of Dan Slott's career. Fitting that he barely used it.

There's something so adult about Hobgoblin and his relationship with Spider-Man that is lacking in a lot of his other enemies. It's not a personal vendetta, some decades long blood feud pushed by Satan, or a deluded quest for revenge or world domination.

He's just a guy out there trying to pursue a career in crime going against a competitor. He knew when to cut his losses. The dude was a professional. I love the Stern Hobgoblin series and find him so much more interesting than Normal and his "my madness/selling my kids soul to Satan" or whatever.

how often has Kingsley gone to jail once he was finally revealed?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    how often has Kingsley gone to jail once he was finally revealed?
    Has he been apprehended since Hobgoblin Lives? He was in jail in Goblins at the Gate but escaped with his Swiss bank accounts and didn't show up til Dan Slott's run/Axis. I read his Axis mini but couldn't tell you what happened to him in Slott 's stuff

Astonishing Member

Last time I read Kingsley in a Spider-man book was in Bendis final arc in Spider-man 2016 with Miles, and he was so low level and incompetent's especially dealing with Red Hulk that it's probably likely one of his many dupes. Frank Tieri Ravencroft which was more recent, he was seen and was portrayed much better.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Am I the only person who misses Jason Macendale? I started reading Spidey when he was Hobby, so I have a soft spot for him. He was a dangerous loser, made more dangerous by his desperation to prove himself to the criminal underworld. I liked he wasn’t pretentious or mysterious or even that competent. He was just as likely to get the upper hand on Spidey as he was to fail spectacularly.
    I agree with this 100%. Macendale was also the Hobgoblin I was first introduced to and I thought he was the coolest. Then he got cyber upgrades and I (somehow) thought he was even cooler still!

I will always have a soft-spot for the guy and his hubristic desperation for every more power. "if I just get this one more power I'll FINALLY be a serious threat". It's endearing.

However, the Hobgoblin Lives miniseries and my subsequent reading of the original arcs made me a much bigger fan of the original. But Clone Conspiracy happened, so there's always hope he'll return.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I love Roderick Kingsley Hobgoblin. It was so cool how Hobgoblin Lives finally resolved the mystery in such a quality way. I custom bind and Hobgoblin Lives may more or less end/conclude of my entire Spider-man collection.

I will really, really, really hope Marvel doesn't wait forever to release ASM Epic Collection Vol. 16, which will cover the ASM #273-288 portion of the first Kingsley saga (just before Leeds is "killed" off). A lot of this portion has NEVER been collected in trade.

(Macendale I will always think of as Jack O'Lantern, a character design I always loved)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-09-2022 at 08:10 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I will really, really, really hope Marvel doesn't wait forever to release ASM Epic Collection Vol. 16, which will cover the ASM #273-288 portion of the first Kingsley saga (just before Leeds is "killed" off). A lot of this portion has NEVER been collected in trade.
    Definitely. The Epic Collections started off releasing issues that have rarely been collected but the last few years have just concentrated on the old reliables. I really wish they'd commit to 3-4 a year to get the collection finished. Then give us Spectacular and adjective-less SM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

When I had gotten into Spider-man comics Norman was dead, been gone awhile. Harry had not yet embraced the family legacy.
    Hobgoblin was my first real Goblin and so by that measure I always love me Hobgoblin, Rodderick or Jason, even moreso than Norman/Harry Goblins. I know that is blasphemy to some.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by HorrorMetal View Post
    I just got issue 238 (his first appearance) recently. It doesn’t have the tattoos that it originally came with but oh well. I hope to see him in a live action movie someday.
    I'm jealous. I have a lot of real old Spider-Man issues (quiet a few between #1-#50) but not this one. When I was single I was able to get a lot of older books. Maybe someday I can get #238.

I'd like to see a mini series of the events that lead up to Kingsley first putting on the costume.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'd like to see a mini series of the events that lead up to Kingsley first putting on the costume.
    Yeah, it'd be especially nice if Roger Stern could write it (or co-write it, or be a big part of it).
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”