Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default The Official "MAGGIE SAWYER Should Return To The Superverse" Thread

Maggie Sawyer should return to Metropolis and the world of Superman. There. I said it.

I realize it's been a while since she was "traded" (wait, the Superverse never got anything in return), I mean, "signed on as a free agent" to the Batverse.

Maggie Sawyer debuted in SUPERMAN #4 (volume 2) in 1987. In the Superverse.

Maggie Sawyer earned her first coverspot in SUPERMAN #15 (volume 2). In the Superverse.

Maggie Sawyer and her girlfriend Toby Raynes were recurringly featured in SUPERMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES. In the Superverse.

Maggie Sawyer was portrayed by Jill Teed on several episodes of SMALLVILLE. In the Superverse.

I get that she's currently the girlfriend/fiancee of Batwoman. Nothing stopping non-Question Renee Montoya from filling that role.

Maggie Sawyer belongs in Metropolis with Toby Raynes (whom she can MARRY due to neither of them being a super-hero). In the Superverse.

Any other SuperFans want Maggie back?

Incredible Member

Nope, she is fine in Gotham with Batwoman. Ty for the gift DC.

If Batwoman wasn't around I'd say absolutely, but she's been in fine hands as Kate's main love interest in her title. Ripping off Superman's supporting cast and villains was a tiresome trend some time back, but no point snatching an important character in a good title away just to make a point.

Besides, his new iffy origin aside, they already took back Cyborg Superman from his lame role in the GL franchise, so I'm happy.

Just left of the wormhole Terok Nor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightReturns View Post
    Nope, she is fine in Gotham with Batwoman. Ty for the gift DC.
    We need her home. A break up is definitely in order.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

It would be nice, however I'm not sure New 52 Maggie has a prior history with Superman/Metropolis, so unless they want to re-establish that, I don't see the point of bringing her in.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Terok Nor View Post
    A break up is definitely in order.
    Someone doesn't read Batwoman...

Just left of the wormhole Terok Nor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    I meant with the Bat-verse in general, but guilty as charged.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Terok Nor View Post
    I meant with the Bat-verse in general, but guilty as charged.
    I see. Well, they're not an item anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    It would be nice, however I'm not sure New 52 Maggie has a prior history with Superman/Metropolis, so unless they want to re-establish that, I don't see the point of bringing her in.
    She does. In the Batwoman Zero Year issue, #25, she's an officer in the Metropolis PD. Her ex-husband still lives in Metropolis.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    She will come back with Batwoman. Thrust me on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightReturns View Post
    She will come back with Batwoman. Thrust me on that one.
    I'm not "thrusting" you anywhere

Also, this is comics. NOTHING is ever permanent. Maggie can and will return to where she belongs.

Maggie's entire backstory was developed entirely within the Superverse from 1987 through the mid-2000s (that's at least 15 years in one corner of the DCU).

The Batverse already gained their 2 newer lesbian characters (Batwoman and Renee Montoya) before her transfer. Then the Superverse wrongly LOST their 2 older lesbian characters (Maggie Sawyer and Toby Raynes).

Maggie Sawyer's rightful place is in Metropolis, as the Head of the Special Crimes Unit, with her future legally-married wife Toby Raynes.

#BringMaggieBackToMetropolis

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

That's from Futures End #16, when Lois is in Metropolis. Now she either still has her connections in Metropolis due to her past like confusiongrows noted above, or maybe she transferred back there in that future timeline? Is she a Commissioner in Batwoman as well or a Captain? Either way, both her and Dan Turpin were great characters in the Superverse.

More Maggie in Metropolis Moments!

Confronting Metropolis Police Commissioner Bill Henderson:

Maggie Sawyer's origin in two pages (Superverse):

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

To be honest, she was more prominent when transferred to the Bat-Verse than she had for years in Superman. I love her and Kate together, and hope they can reunite soon (not holding my breath).

I'm not sure where she'd fit anymore as Superman doesn't really interact with the police these days.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    To be honest, she was more prominent when transferred to the Bat-Verse than she had for years in Superman. I love her and Kate together, and hope they can reunite soon (not holding my breath).
    Maggie was primarily defined in the Batverse by her relationship to another character; conversely Maggie was primarily defined in the Superverse by her job. Anyone who is more defined by their job (like say Superheroes and Supervillains) is a MUCH more stable character than someone who is defined by their relationships to said Superheroes/villains. Maggie may have been more prominent in the Batverse, but once Kate was done with her, Maggie became completely expendable. Not so in the Superverse, where she had job (and role) security. Not to mention, since Toby Raynes is not a superhero, Maggie can safely marry her.

Maggie needs to come back to Metropolis, where WHAT she does is way more important than WHO she does.

I'm not sure where she'd fit anymore as Superman doesn't really interact with the police these days.
    In a New52 continuity where Hawkman went from Egyptian back to Thanagarian without another CRISIS, this would be so easily fixable by comparison.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Maggie was primarily defined in the Batverse by her relationship to another character; conversely Maggie was primarily defined in the Superverse by her job.
    That's not true. In the New 52 she has been a solid part of the Batwoman cast, but before that she was brought over for Rucka and Brubaker's Gotham Central and appeared many times in the Bat-Verse after that title had ended. All of this was about her job. She had all but disappeared from Superman by the late 90s.