Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retired

Default Why did we stop calling him "The Batman?"

I remember that after not reading any new Batman comics for a couple of years, I picked up the books again in the early 1970s and found that a lot had changed, while I wasn't looking, including the fact that Bruce was now called "The Batman." And this was lettered in a way that harkened back to the earlier lettering style in the 1940s. It was a way of signalling to the readers that the comics were going back to those pulpy stories of the early years for their inspiration.

It just seemed right that he should be called "The Batman." Why had that ever gone out of style in the first place? I guess, in the 1940s, they wanted to be more family friendly and calling him "Batman" made him more approachable and benign. But that's exactly why going back to "The Batman" made sense in the early 1970s, because they were restoring that sense of mystery and dread to the character.

Yet, as the 1970s wore on, "The Batman" was used less and less and it became "Batman" once again. And since then there have been times when "The Batman" has been used as a call back, like with the animated series, THE BATMAN (2004), and now with the new movie, THE BATMAN (2022). But the reason these usages stand out is because it's not the common usage--"Batman" is the norm. How come?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I remember that after not reading any new Batman comics for a couple of years, I picked up the books again in the early 1970s and found that a lot had changed, while I wasn't looking, including the fact that Bruce was now called "The Batman." And this was lettered in a way that harkened back to the earlier lettering style in the 1940s. It was a way of signalling to the readers that the comics were going back to those pulpy stories of the early years for their inspiration.

It just seemed right that he should be called "The Batman." Why had that ever gone out of style in the first place? I guess, in the 1940s, they wanted to be more family friendly and calling him "Batman" made him more approachable and benign. But that's exactly why going back to "The Batman" made sense in the early 1970s, because they were restoring that sense of mystery and dread to the character.

Yet, as the 1970s wore on, "The Batman" was used less and less and it became "Batman" once again. And since then there have been times when "The Batman" has been used as a call back, like with the animated series, THE BATMAN (2004), and now with the new movie, THE BATMAN (2022). But the reason these usages stand out is because it's not the common usage--"Batman" is the norm. How come?
    It's shorter?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

Also, from an in-universe perspective ''The Batman'' makes sense early on when people have no clue who this mysterious guy lurking in the shadows and beating up criminals is. There's that aura of mystery and fear surrounding him. But over time, he's become a pretty well-known and familiar figure, so it makes sense for people to just call him ''Batman''.

Also it used to be hyphenated "the bat-man"

A better question would be why he was ever called the Batman in the first place.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Also, from an in-universe perspective ''The Batman'' makes sense early on when people have no clue who this mysterious guy lurking in the shadows and beating up criminals is. There's that aura of mystery and fear surrounding him. But over time, he's become a pretty well-known and familiar figure, so it makes sense for people to just call him ''Batman''.
    In-universe that makes sense for the original Batman.

You see an evolution of the character, from this mysterious figure that no-one knows, to being a recognized law officer in Gotham and around the world, attending ribbon-cutting ceremonies, raising money for charity through exhibitions of his skills, being the subject of gossip columns in newspapers as he dates some of the most famous women in the world.

In the early 1970s, Julie Schwartz was trying to pull back on that familiar version of the character and get back to the man of mystery. Thus "The Batman."

Which is an approach that hasn't gone out of style. In fact, when Denny O'Neil was the editor, he doubled down on it by insisting that the Batman was an urban legend to most people. So while it makes sense for the Robins to call him "Batman," because he's their buddy--it makes less sense for the average person to regard him that way. Even for Gordon--if the Dark Knight is this guy who appears mysteriously in the shadows and then disappears just as weirdly--he would be the "The Batman," officially wanted by the authorities.

Since fans thought calling him "The Batman" was cool, I'm not sure why this went out of fashion with us. Sure "Batman" is shorter, but so is "Flash"--we still like to say "The Flash." Even in the late 1980s when the official title of Wally's comic was FLASH (no definite article), he was still often called "The Flash."

But don't get the wrong idea. I'm not insisting this should be so. I like "Batman" without the definite article. I just thought, as a word nerd, it was a fun matter of language to discuss and a different approach to the whole "The Batman" subject, raised by the movie. But I'm alone on that island, I can see. From the responses here, it seems like everyone else thinks it's a worthless subject.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

But over time, he's become a pretty well-known and familiar figure, so it makes sense for people to just call him ''Batman''.
    Yeah, both in story and in real life. I think as The Batman became a more popular hero, he became: Batman. Superman was never The Superman, and so maybe The Batman, also a DC hero, became Batman in accordance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    From the responses here, it seems like everyone else thinks it's a worthless subject.
    You've made great contributions to answering your own question Jim.

It's not a worthless subject/topic. It definitely highlights Batman's pulp roots. The Batman, Batman, I love both.

I can add no better analysis than what you mentioned here, except that perhaps Superman's success affected Batman's dropping of the "The."
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-02-2022 at 11:21 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Did we really stop?

How many people call Joker "The Joker" anymore?

Eh, I like both, and if nothing else it gives us a way to differentiate 1989's Batman and 2022's The Batman via an extra word in the title. Not bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Yeah, both in story and in real life. I think as The Batman became a more popular hero, he became: Batman. Superman was never The Superman, and so maybe The Batman, also a DC hero, became Batman in accordance.

I can add no better analysis than what you mentioned here, except that perhaps Superman's success affected Batman's dropping of the "The."
    Just watch, like how The Dark Knight inspired Man of Steel, The Batman will inspire the next Supes' movie to be call The Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Did we really stop?

Depends on how he's referenced. Examples:

The Joker did it.

Joker! You're going to get away with this!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, I like both, and if nothing else it gives us a way to differentiate 1989's Batman and 2022's The Batman via an extra word in the title. Not bad at all.

Just watch, like how The Dark Knight inspired Man of Steel, The Batman will inspire the next Supes' movie to be call The Superman.
    Doesn't work quiet as well for Superman though...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Did we really stop?

I think a lot of people still do.

Because he preferred being called Mr. Batman, so show some respect you whippersnappers!

Doesn't work quiet as well for Superman though...
    Neither did Man of Steel as a movie title imo, but try telling WB execs that Superman shouldn't ape their #1 cash cow somehow. I was joking of course, but only half joking. I can legitimately see them making the next Superman called "The Superman" if The Batman does well enough.

I remember people wondering about a "The Superman" cartoon to coincide with The Batman cartoon.

He was referred to as 'The Batman' in the Nolan movies