Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can you be a fan of a franchise is your dont like the source?

I have been thinking about this since I saw some of the stuff for the Amazon LotR show. And I got to thinking about this in regards to the MCU and other Franchises like Star Wars and Star Trek.

Let me Explain what I mean by my title with a couple of examples.

I did not enjoy the Lord of the Rings books Or the Hobbit book By Tolkien. I just never got into them. But I really enjoy some of the stuff that came from them. I enjoyed all of the movies. I enjoy the LotR Card game on my Switch, The Shadows of Mordor and Shadow of War. I love the LotR Minis game by Games Work shop. To be honest I know next to nothing about most of the characters or the lore. I understand the story from the LotR movies. But when it comes to characters outside of the main cast, the history of the world I draw a blank. You can name 50 characters and unless they were part of the Fellowship I would have no clue who you mean. I just know I love the movies and love the games as stand alones. So I think of myself as a fan of LotR

My friend really loves Mado and Bad Batch on Disney Plus but hates the original Star Wars Movies. He thinks of himself as a Star Wars Fan.

Another friend loves the MCU and the tv shows but wouldnt read a comic if you paid her a 100 bucks. She thinks of herself as a fan of Marvel.

So can you be a fan of the Franchise but note enjoy or like what the franchise came from? Or for that matter most of the franchise? I know how a lot of the hardcore fan boys and real fans think. But how about you guys. What are your takes?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Guess it is going to depend on just how far "Franchise..." goes...

The AMC "Preacher..." series?

It was all but "In Name Only..."

I could definitely see folks who were fans of the show not being able to get along with the comic.

You can like whatever you want to. Others can't define what a "real fan" is.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    So can you be a fan of the Franchise but note enjoy or like what the franchise came from? Or for that matter most of the franchise? I know how a lot of the hardcore fan boys and real fans think. But how about you guys. What are your takes?
    Definitely, sure you can.

I wouldn’t read a John Grisham book if you held a gun to my head, but I’ve enjoyed all the movies based on those books.

I don’t play video games, but I enjoy (most) movies based on them. Actually I’ve been told it helps in this case, as most of the things ppl who play the games complain about go right over my head.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 03-01-2022 at 07:19 PM.

love Legend of Vox Machine on Amazon. But I'm not watching Critical Role.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You can like whatever you want to. Others can't define what a "real fan" is.
    Exactly this, there's no wrong way to be a fan.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    …there's no wrong way to be a fan.

I have been thinking about this since I saw some of the stuff for the Amazon LotR show. And I got to thinking about this in regards to the MCU and other Franchises like Star Wars and Star Trek.

Let me Explain what I mean by my title with a couple of examples.

I did not enjoy the Lord of the Rings books Or the Hobbit book By Tolkien. I just never got into them. But I really enjoy some of the stuff that came from them. I enjoyed all of the movies. I enjoy the LotR Card game on my Switch, The Shadows of Mordor and Shadow of War. I love the LotR Minis game by Games Work shop. To be honest I know next to nothing about most of the characters or the lore. I understand the story from the LotR movies. But when it comes to characters outside of the main cast, the history of the world I draw a blank. You can name 50 characters and unless they were part of the Fellowship I would have no clue who you mean. I just know I love the movies and love the games as stand alones. So I think of myself as a fan of LotR

My friend really loves Mado and Bad Batch on Disney Plus but hates the original Star Wars Movies. He thinks of himself as a Star Wars Fan.

Another friend loves the MCU and the tv shows but wouldnt read a comic if you paid her a 100 bucks. She thinks of herself as a fan of Marvel.

If you like something you are a fan. It doesn't matter where you start.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-02-2022 at 09:20 AM.

Retired

In terms of THE LORD OF THE RING, I've been thinking about this lately, because a friend of mine has given up on the books halfway through, as it was too much work.

I read these books when I was a teen and I do remember how much effort it took, but ultimately a rewarding experience. After that I applied myself to reading the entire BIBLE.

As J.R.R. Tolkien was a scholar and a professor of English language and literature, at Oxford, I see his writing as an extension of his work in that field. For me, THE HOBBIT and THE LORD OF THE RINGS are not fantasy genre books--they are a part of English literature.

This is a fine distinction. You can say that all prose and poetry is literature--which is true. At bookstores, it doesn't work that way. You're most likely to see J.R.R. Tolkien in the Science Fiction and Fantasy section, while Jane Austen appears in the Classic Literature section. But in reality, I believe Austen and Tolkien are more alike than different. Their works might be adapted for movies, but watching movies is no way to actually study either. They are both working in the field of literature and language.

So while "Lord of the Rings" might be a franchise in terms of movies and television and kitsch sold on eBay--that's not Tolkien. His work is English literature. The two things are separate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In terms of THE LORD OF THE RING, I've been thinking about this lately, because a friend of mine has given up on the books halfway through, as it was too much work.

I read these books when I was a teen and I do remember how much effort it took, but ultimately a rewarding experience. After that I applied myself to reading the entire BIBLE.

As J.R.R. Tolkien was a scholar and a professor of English language and literature, at Oxford, I see his writing as an extension of his work in that field. For me, THE HOBBIT and THE LORD OF THE RINGS are not fantasy genre books--they are a part of English literature.

This is a fine distinction. You can say that all prose and poetry is literature--which is true. At bookstores, it doesn't work that way. You're most likely to see J.R.R. Tolkien in the Science Fiction and Fantasy section, while Jane Austen appears in the Classic Literature section. But in reality, I believe Austen and Tolkien are more alike than different. Their works might be adapted for movies, but watching movies is no way to actually study either. They are both working in the field of literature and language.

So while "Lord of the Rings" might be a franchise in terms of movies and television and kitsch sold on eBay--that's not Tolkien. His work is English literature. The two things are separate.
    I will agree with this. I always tell people I am a fan of LotR and not Tolkien. Because I just didnt enjoy any of his books. But I enjoy all the things that other people did with the world he created.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I will agree with this. I always tell people I am a fan of LotR and not Tolkien. Because I just didnt enjoy any of his books. But I enjoy all the things that other people did with the world he created.
    Never read LOTR & chances don't look positive that I ever will. Not a dungeon crawler or "high fantasy" fan other than CONAN. Thought the P. Jackson movies were great & a re-watchable treat every now & then.

Saw the first Star Wars trilogy & thought they're perfect & would watch again but I'm not going out of my way for it. The whole "Han shot first" thing did not phase me. The first set sequels I've seen 1x & that's quite enough of that. The less said about the SUPER-REY movies the better.

I like the TMNT comics. Not a fan of any of the other media super kid-friendly offerings.

Still watch the original Star Trek tv series whenever I come across it. However, modern Star Trek is super-woke now, so I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Never read LOTR & chances don't look positive that I ever will. Not a dungeon crawler or "high fantasy" fan other than CONAN. Thought the P. Jackson movies were great & a re-watchable treat every now & then.

Saw the first Star Wars trilogy & thought they're perfect & would watch again but I'm not going out of my way for it. The whole "Han shot first" thing did not phase me. The first set sequels I've seen 1x & that's quite enough of that. The less said about the SUPER-REY movies the better.

I like the TMNT comics. Not a fan of any of the other media super kid-friendly offerings.

Still watch the original Star Trek tv series whenever I come across it. However, modern Star Trek is super-woke now, so I'm out.
    How is it woke?

And with TMNT I dont really like the 80s comics. But love the later ones and the cartoon. The first cartoon. I havnt seen the others. And I love all 3 of the first movies. Mush more then the new ones.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

How is it woke?

And with TMNT I dont really like the 80s comics. But love the later ones and the cartoon. The first cartoon. I havnt seen the others. And I love all 3 of the first movies. Mush more then the new ones.
    It has women and people of color in charge which is scary for some people.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It has women and people of color in charge which is scary for some people.
    Ive only seen Season one of Discovery so I diodnt know if the Woke everyone was talking about was because the captain is a black female or if there was more to it. Like if they were really pushing things.

This is an interesting question, but yes.

There are quite a few James Bond fans who like the movies and/ or video games, but aren't familiar with Ian Fleming's books, or don't like them at all.

I'm sure there are many comic fans who don't like the original adventures of their favorite superheroes. You can enjoy The Dark Knight Returns without liking Batman's golden age adventures.

There were a lot of fans of Ronald Moore's Battlestar Galactica who were unfamiliar with the original, or didn't care for it.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets