Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Clea - Sorcerer Supreme of the Dark Dimension - Appreciation 2022

Clea is the Sorcerer Supreme and occasional ruler of the Dark Dimension. She is the daughter of Umar and niece of Dormammu, the Faltine warlords who took over the Dark Dimension after the death of Olnar, the last of the Mhuruuk wizard kings who had previously ruled the Dark Dimension for thousands of years. Umar had an affair with Olnar's son Orini, resulting in Umar becoming pregnant and giving birth to Clea. Umar abandoned Clea into Orini's care and he raised her in complete ignorance of her relationship to Umar and Dormammu. Clea became Stephen Strange's ally in the Dark Dimension, resulting in her nearly being killed by Umar and imprisoned by Dormammu. To save her, the Ancient One hid her in a pocket dimension, where Stephen Strange eventually found her and brought her to earth. She became Strange's lover and his magical disciple. Strange taught her all the magic he knew. Although Clea and Strange loved each other deeply, she eventually returned to the Dark Dimension to liberate it from Umar and Dormammu. She led a rebel army and eventually defeated Umar - who Clea learned was her mother - and then she became the new ruler of the Dark Dimension. Clea and Strange were married in a Dark Dimension ceremony and the pair agreed that each would stay in their own home dimension to protect it, but they would still get together whenever they could. Eventually the two became estranged and separated, though Strange was not willing to officially end the relationship. Dormammu took over the Dark Dimension again and Clea fled to Asgard for a time. Clea and Strange got back together during a fight with Galactus. To win that battle, Strange made a deal with Mephisto that meant sacrificing the one thing that meant the most to him: Clea. Strange wiped all of her memories of him and left her in the Dark Dimension. Her memories were restored after Strange's death in the Death of Doctor Strange mini-series. As a result of the events in that series, Clea has become the Sorcerer Supreme of the Earth Dimension. She has vowed to retrieve his lost soul and bring him back to life. This is the basis for the new series, Strange which debuts in March 2022.

Clea first appeared in Strange Tales #126, back in 1964. In all those years, she's largely been a supporting character in the various Doctor Strange series or in the Defenders, and only rarely appeared in other titles. The new Strange series by writer Jed MacKay is the first time that she is being featured as a leading character in her own right, so it seems like a good time to establish an Appreciation thread for her and this new series. Clea has not yet made an appearance in any of the MCU films. It's unknown at this time if she will be appearing in the next Doctor Strange film. She has appeared as an NPC and a playable character in some of the Marvel games.

Live Faust, Die Jung.

Some previews and reviews for Strange #1:

https://www.superherohype.com/comics...ew-strange-1#2

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/02/25/ma...iew-strange-1/

https://screenrant.com/doctor-strang...cerer-supreme/

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/do...e-debuts-clea/

Per Jed MacKay, in the comicbook.com review:
    "Stephen's take on the role of Sorcerer Supreme has strayed over the years, but essentially he believed himself a doctor. The scale may have changed and the patient lists may have swelled to include everyone on the planet, but essentially he was there to fix, to heal, to put to rights," MacKay said. "Clea, on the other hand, comes from a line of rapacious conquerors, and her views on the correct way to discharge her duties are going to be colored by that. She's not even a native resident of Earth, but rather an alien queen, heir to the title of warlord, and we'll see how that influences her in the position of Sorcerer Supreme."

He added, "It's fun putting Clea into the spotlight and seeing how she goes about her business. She's native to the Dark Dimension, has never been human, and wants something with the same single-minded desire that we've grown accustomed to seeing from Umar and Dormammu. And now she's the world's Sorcerer Supreme, and isn't shy about reminding people what that, all of that, means."
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

By Adam Hughes:

Live Faust, Die Jung.

Astonishing Member

Clea appeared in the 1970s Dr. Strange TV movie, but she was just a patient of the doctor's -- not a magical princess from another dimension. I've always liked Clea, and wish she had taken over Dr. Strange's role in Defenders when he left. Roger Stern did an amazing job with her in his run in the 1980s. I can't believe we still don't have a Clea action figure from Marvel Legends. I just hope when they finally do one -- it's not a movie version.

I have to say I loved the first issue.

Best bits:

1) Clea & Wong. Their dynamic is just *chef's kiss*
    2) The fact that Clea may be the first Marvel hero who dresses DOWN when she puts on her costume.
    3) Bats! Coffee! Snarky snakes!

And just as a random prediction:

spoilers:
    I think Stephen is the face behind the Harvestman's mask. Call it a hunch.
    end of spoilers

I'm not exactly sure why that particular character showed up on the last page, though. He should be elsewhere.

Extraordinary Member

Like the issue, As much as the death of Stephen is ill-timed w/ the movie I hope they don't end up w/ him back just yet

It was an interesting start for Clea as the new Sorceress Supreme. It clearly showed that Clea will use a different approach than Strange. Liked the dynamic between Clea and Wong.

Nicely timed with today's issue .

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I really enjoyed this first issue. I love Clea's "take no **** and kill the murderers" attitude...**** humanity's soft heart.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Like the issue, As much as the death of Stephen is ill-timed w/ the movie I hope they don't end up w/ him back just yet
    Given Marvels history I don't think the death is ill timed, so much as it's right on time. Whenever a character is in a movie Marvel seems to go out of their way to pull a 180 in that characters title.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I was in the fence wether or not to get this book, but you guys all seem pretty positive about it/make it sound fun. I’m gonna go for it, thanks.

I thought it was a good first issue and a good introduction to Clea as a character. Partially cause this is my first time reading anything of hers.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    I have to say I loved the first issue.

Best bits:

1) Clea & Wong. Their dynamic is just *chef's kiss*
    2) The fact that Clea may be the first Marvel hero who dresses DOWN when she puts on her costume.
    3) Bats! Coffee! Snarky snakes!

And just as a random prediction:

spoilers:
    I think Stephen is the face behind the Harvestman's mask. Call it a hunch.
    end of spoilers

I'm not exactly sure why that particular character showed up on the last page, though. He should be elsewhere.
    DigiCom, you and I are thinking alike when it comes to your random prediction. It would make for a great story arc for Clea, and it truly does flow well with Strange's previous history, all things considered. (Trying to be vague here about all the previous times Strange has died or had interactions with the entity known as Death.)

Also, I was totally cheering for Bats! Coffee! Snarky Snakes! Did you ever see the movie Moulin Rogue? The in-story tagline for the characters was "Truth! Beauty! Freedom! And above all Love!" Clea's new tagline for this series can be "Bats! Coffee! Snakes! And above all Love!"
    Last edited by Clea; 03-02-2022 at 02:54 PM.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Also, I was totally cheering for Bats! Coffee! Snarky Snakes! Did you ever see the movie Moulin Rogue? The in-story tagline for the characters was "Truth! Beauty! Freedom! And above all Love!" Clea's new tagline for this series can be "Bats! Coffee! Snakes! And above all Love!"
    No, but I am familiar with the show.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Great first issue! If MacKay keeps it up, I'm not sure how happy I'll be when Stephen inevitably returns....

My only critique would be why not call this series something else? Sorcer(ess) Supreme would've been a more fitting title than Strange; or even just Clea works for me.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES