Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Strange #6 cover by Lee Garbett. Garbett will also do the interior pages.

Blurb for the issue says that someone has stolen pieces of Wong's memories. It's up to Wong and Bats to investigate the clues to resolve the theft. Per Lee Garbett's Instagram, the issue touches on the events of Death of Doctor Strange in some way. Seems to be riffing on the title, 'The Big Sleep' so I'm hoping this means we're in for a stylish, noir-inspired mystery.

Swooning over this.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Hey DigiCom,

I remember you stating that you felt some "fatigue" with these MCU movies and shows last year? Do you still feel that way? I used to think that superhero fatigue would NEVER happen to me because I thought the MCU was so great, but I have to admit, I'm getting bored and tired of it a bit lately. I guess I'm more of a "casual" fan than a "stan". This movie reviewer (a big fan of the MCU) is starting to get bored of it too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmHD3iTU2lw
    A little bit. MoM was the first MCU project I actually went to the cinema to see, instead of waiting to see on streaming. And honestly, it was more of a desire to get out of the freaking house than "I HAVE to see this movie!!!1!"

The MCU isn't a "sure-thing" watch for me. Not because the quality has gone down, or anything of that nature, but simply because between the climax of ENDGAME and an enforced exile from the movies, there just isn't the same excitement anymore. I'm 52 years old... nowadays, EVERYTHING is "casual"

(That being said, I did enjoy Moon Knight.)

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Wow. I guess Clea is a "warrior sorceress" who's not afraid to brandish a sword? I like that!

As I said earlier, I don't think Marvel Studios needs to get too bogged down in magical rules. I DO think that MCU viewers are getting more confused as to what kind of powers the magic users in the MCU have. Like we have time travel with the Pym Particles, but we also had time "rewinding" with an Infinity Stone. We had confusion over whether changing the past could change the future in Endgame, and when it comes to Strange in particular I have read comments about how he can use sling rings to travel throughout the "multiverse". But the first Strange movie meant "dimensions" when it came to multiverses, but in subsequent shows multiverses mean "alternate realities". Things are starting to feel like the comics a bit. It shouldn't really matter if the stories are entertaining, but I don't think Phase Four has delivered on that front (in my opinion). I particularly dislike how Disney is introducing NEW characters into the MCU. It's like they're DELIBERATELY making them uninteresting from my vantage point.
    Since this is a comic book forum and these are comic book movies, I see zero problem with the movies becoming / being like the comics. And of course it matters if stories are entertaining! WTF?

Hey DigiCom,

I remember you stating that you felt some "fatigue" with these MCU movies and shows last year? Do you still feel that way? I used to think that superhero fatigue would NEVER happen to me because I thought the MCU was so great, but I have to admit, I'm getting bored and tired of it a bit lately. I guess I'm more of a "casual" fan than a "stan". This movie reviewer (a big fan of the MCU) is starting to get bored of it too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmHD3iTU2lw
    Who the F cares if some random Youtuber is bored? If people are bored, simply stop watching or reading. You don't need to announce to everyone that you are bored. It's like these people expect someone to rescue them from boredom, instead of them taking responsibility for their lives and going out and actually doing something exciting in their lives.

I thought this anime/manga podcast which gave a review of the MoM reflects the opinions of MANY fans of the MCU who are growing weary of how Disney is doing things in Phase Four. One of the critics of Strange 2 complained about "not knowing what Stephen's powers are". But a lot of this stuff was explained in Strange 1, but Marvel Studios has released like a 75 new projects since that movie, so I don't blame him for not being aware of Strange's abilities. I think the MCU is actually becoming more like the comic books and that's hurting its accessibility to the general public:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqrS-knRHKY

Again. Who the F cares about the opinion of a random Youtuber? They can GTFO if they think my movies and COMIC BOOKS, for F's sake, should be dumbed down for their convenience. There's a gazillion books and movies for pre-schoolers, and plenty even with Marvel characters. They can go read / watch them. General public can also GTFO. Lord, this isn't rocket science.

The stakes in the MCU are just WAY too low in my opinion. I can't believe I'm starting to agree with Scorsese and his ilk a bit more now. There's absolutely no sense of emotional danger in these MCU movies and shows anymore. And NOTHING is at risk. EVER. I was really angry when Marty made his criticisms severals years back, but it's weird how I've sorta fallen in line to his way of thinking. Which is really sad, because I think the MCU has so MUCH potential and Strange and Clea are such AWESOME characters who audiences should embrace wholeheartedly. These two dudes LOVE Marvel and the MCU, but I agree with their critiques of what Marvel Studios is doing lately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPMrmizhvuE
    More unknown Youtubers I'm not going to watch. I'd rather watch any Marvel show again or read a comic. And yes, Scorsese can also GTFO. I love most of the MCU shows and movies, and he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. Nothing but sour grapes cause his movies don't make as much money.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    A little bit. MoM was the first MCU project I actually went to the cinema to see, instead of waiting to see on streaming. And honestly, it was more of a desire to get out of the freaking house than "I HAVE to see this movie!!!1!"

The MCU isn't a "sure-thing" watch for me. Not because the quality has gone down, or anything of that nature, but simply because between the climax of ENDGAME and an enforced exile from the movies, there just isn't the same excitement anymore. I'm 52 years old... nowadays, EVERYTHING is "casual"

(That being said, I did enjoy Moon Knight.)
    Yeah, I feel the same way. The MCU absolutely used to be a sure-thing for me up until very recently. I just don't feel the same way about it anymore, and that makes me sad. 52 is not that old. Comic book movie fans are all basically twelve year olds trapped in the bodies of folks who are much older than that! I know, because I'm one of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Since this is a comic book forum and these are comic book movies, I see zero problem with the movies becoming / being like the comics. And of course it matters if stories are entertaining! WTF?

Who the F cares if some random Youtuber is bored? If people are bored, simply stop watching or reading. You don't need to announce to everyone that you are bored. It's like these people expect someone to rescue them from boredom, instead of them taking responsibility for their lives and going out and actually doing something exciting in their lives.

Again. Who the F cares about the opinion of a random Youtuber? They can GTFO if they think my movies and COMIC BOOKS, for F's sake, should be dumbed down for their convenience. There's a gazillion books and movies for pre-schoolers, and plenty even with Marvel characters. They can go read / watch them. General public can also GTFO. Lord, this isn't rocket science.

More unknown Youtubers I'm not going to watch. I'd rather watch any Marvel show again or read a comic. And yes, Scorsese can also GTFO. I love most of the MCU shows and movies, and he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. Nothing but sour grapes cause his movies don't make as much money.
    I meant "wouldn't" instead of "shouldn't", sorry about that. And no, these comic book movies and shows aren't YOURS. They never were. General audiences are important to Disney's bottom line. Their money is just as good as comic book readers'. To make things more accessible and palatable to "casuals" is not dumbing storytelling down. Making things clear is itself a storytelling skill. Even on Star Trek, the writers were highly aware of the need NOT to confuse audiences. And I think they did a better job of doing that than the current Marvel writers I'm sorry to say. Scorsese can say whatever the hell he likes in my opinion. I thought his Irishman was a self-indulgent and pretentious piece of ****, so it's not like you could accuse me of being a "stan" of his. I appreciate his work to preserve films from across the world, and his influence on "cinema" (I actually STRONGLY disagree with his views on what constitutes cinema and definitely consider superhero movies to be a part of it) will be far more long-lasting than any MCU director. These "random" YouTubers might seem insignificant to you, but they REPRESENT a decent chunk of MCU viewers. And EACH of the above commentators have made clear that they LOVE the MCU. So they're not haters. And what's so great about killing off characters and then reviving them later and saying they're "different" because they come from different "universes"? How is that original storytelling? I don't get it. To me that's pure comic book horseshit. And why is it a good strategy to introduce so many characters so quickly before even the veteran ones have retired yet? Do you even remember what Natasha's parents' superhero names are? Instead of introducing even more characters, how about focusing a little bit more on the ones that are already in the MCU. If the MCU caters just to the "nerds" and "geeks", than they will no longer be the greatest entertainment and media franchise in Hollywood history.

"Comics have a different set of rules that apply to them than the TV shows and movies we watch. Comics have much more freedom to explore story lines and distinct plots within a comic series without being limited to run time, time related deadlines, budget, studio interference and other things that the cinematic industry might have. A movie has to have a certain structure in order to tell a good story that is distinct from a comic book or novel. So therefore they should not be approached the same way because they are not. What Marvel is doing will eventually backfire unless they find a clever way to tie all these story lines, plots, and lore that they are setting up because right now it’s a mess whether folks like to admit it or not."
    Last edited by Albert1981; 05-25-2022 at 01:22 PM.

To drag this WAY back on topic... Strange #3 is out next week!

No sign of the preview... yet.

To drag this WAY back on topic... Strange #3 is out next week!

No sign of the preview... yet.
    Yeah, sorry about that. Why don't Marvel just call it Clea?

Yeah, sorry about that. Why don't Marvel just call it Clea?
    Trademarks. One of the bigger reasons why DC or Marvel revives old properties after a few years is to prove to the trademark office that they are still using it. Hence the multiple revivals of Thunderbolts, Defenders, etc.

Plus, name recognition. Mackay started on this well before anyone knew she was in the movie.

Trademarks. One of the bigger reasons why DC or Marvel revives old properties after a few years is to prove to the trademark office that they are still using it. Hence the multiple revivals of Thunderbolts, Defenders, etc.

Plus, name recognition. Mackay started on this well before anyone knew she was in the movie.
    Well, the timing was certainly fortuitous! I think Theron is great. As I mentioned earlier, my brother met her twenty years ago and thought she was a really nice person. He's always liked her work and Mad Max: Fury Road is one of his all-time favorite movies. I just can't imagine Theron playing a passive damsel in distress. Apparently she stood toe-to-toe with Tom Hardy in Mad Max (2015), and didn't back down when they clashed during the making of that movie (I respect them both by the way). I'm just worried that Stephen and Clea will have a Peter/MJ, Scott/Hope, Tony/Pepper, Peter/Gamora kind of relationships where the two insult each other constantly before they get together. For now I'm just trying to convince my father that Doctor Strange is not being played by Peter Sellers.

For now I'm just trying to convince my father that Doctor Strange is not being played by Peter Sellers.
    That would be a neat trick since Sellers died in 1980...

That would be a neat trick since Sellers died in 1980...
    My dad keeps mixing up Doctor Strange with Dr. Strangelove!

My dad keeps mixing up Doctor Strange with Dr. Strangelove!
    Could be worse, I suppose. He could have confused him with Doctor Goldfoot:

Or, indeed, Dr. Erasmus Craven, played by the same actor:

Could be worse, I suppose. He could have confused him with Doctor Goldfoot:

Or, indeed, Dr. Erasmus Craven, played by the same actor:

Hollywood created a lot of weird doctors back in the 60s.

Wow. I guess Clea is a "warrior sorceress" who's not afraid to brandish a sword? I like that!
    Swords. Snakes. Whatever:

Strange #3 Preview

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Swords. Snakes. Whatever:

Strange #3 Preview
    Boy. Clea has ... shed any previous ... softness. O_O
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?