Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Technically, there's ONE example of how her magic works.

Your first problem is that the way magic works in the comics != the way it works in the MCU. So any examples we can find in the comics may or may not apply to the MCU.

That being said, in the comics she uses the same style of magic as Stephen. If you recall the three types I posted elsewhere, her primary advantage is that her half-Faltine nature gives her a larger pool of personal energy to draw from (she can also fly under her own power for some reason, but that's not a serious powerup ) and a certain amount of enhanced strength/durability. But Stephen had more experience, so he had things to teach her.
    But since the MCU takes the "spirit" and the "essence" of the characters from the comic books, I imagine some of the things in the source material will appear on screen. I actually prefer it if they change stuff from the comics to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    But since the MCU takes the "spirit" and the "essence" of the characters from the comic books, I imagine some of the things in the source material will appear on screen. I actually prefer it if they change stuff from the comics to be honest.
    Well, they kept the "essence" of Stephen's character, but changed his powers, personality, and relationships. So... yeah.

Well, they kept the "essence" of Stephen's character, but changed his powers, personality, and relationships. So... yeah.
    I think Benedict's a great Strange. He's done a terrific job in the role. I just wish the MoM was a less polarizing and divisive movie. The first Strange film was really good.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Okay, after a bit of searching and downloading the app to my phone, I finally got to read the Infinity Comic with Clea and Wong and America Chavez.

I can't say I was exactly impressed. It was a pretty standard short introduction with serviceable art. I was a bit surprised, as it was written by Al Ewing. The art was by Ramon Bachs. You can see it in the preview here:

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...ok-day-preview

I think these Infinity comics are like short weekly / bi-weekly webcomics, formatted especially for phones and tablets in a single column, vertical scrolling panels. This one is called Strange Tales and appears to feature Dr Strange as a Watcher like, Rod Serling like host on the other side of a mirror??

Anyway the story is basically America shows up asking for help since her inter-dimensional travel powers apparently aren't working? And she's searching for her sister in another dimension?? Clea and Wong agree to help her, but something, perhaps America's powers, messes up the spell and our trio end up fighting dimensional parasites. Clea manages to get them back home and close the portal before something really ugly shows up. America takes off and screws up, when her sister is also attempting to find her. Dr. Strange narrator closes the story hinting at more to follow.

So, all in all, pedestrian and focused on America Chavez.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I think Benedict's a great Strange. He's done a terrific job in the role.
    I'm not denying that. But he's a LOT more sarcastic and pop-culture savvy than the comics version. Up until fairly recently, anyway.

I'm not denying that. But he's a LOT more sarcastic and pop-culture savvy than the comics version. Up until fairly recently, anyway.
    But that's a good thing in my opinion. Strange should be a "modern man" in my opinion and very up-to-date with the latest cultural trends. That makes him relatable to me. I don't want him to be some character who is divorced from the real world. I AM shocked that apparently he has become such a big part of MCU horror. I didn't think Disney was gonna do that. I never saw him in that light before.

But that's a good thing in my opinion. Strange should be a "modern man" in my opinion and very up-to-date with the latest cultural trends. That makes him relatable to me. I don't want him to be some character who is divorced from the real world. I AM shocked that apparently he has become such a big part of MCU horror. I didn't think Disney was gonna do that. I never saw him in that light before.
    You know, this IS a comic book, not movie forum, right?

As someone who has read the comics, I don't think Dr. Strange should be a "modern man" foolishly chasing after the latest cultural trends to be 'relatable' -- which doesn't make him relatable to me at all. TBH, I don't really get an impression of trendy from Cumberbatch's MCU Dr. Strange. It's the hubris, and the fall from grace, and the mistakes that make him relatable to me. It's the courage to pick himself back and put himself back together after destroying his own life. It's his willingness to sacrifice.

He's a surgical doctor who had a god complex BEFORE he became magically powerful enough to face gods -- he should be amazing and awesome. He's the freaking guardian of our dimension, facing off against mind shattering horrors. He's enlightened and lived quite a long time. These aren't exactly things that make him a relatable or trendy guy.

That said, I'm fine with the MCU Dr. Strange, because I love Cumberbatch and he captures enough of Strange with the scripts he's given, to satisfy me. But I don't confuse the MCU with the comics books or expect either to follow the other. In fact, I'm often disappointed when the comics do so. MCU Strange is simply a variant of the 616 comic book Strange.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Back to the topic of appreciation ....

I'm pretty happy with the casting for Clea in the MCU, but were there other actress you visualized for the part?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Back to the topic of appreciation ....

I'm pretty happy with the casting for Clea in the MCU, but were there other actress you visualized for the part?
    That depends on which Clea we are casting.

If we are talking OG naive Clea, I might suggest someone like Evanna Lynch (Luna from the HP movies).

For a more modern version, maybe Emily Blunt or Christina Ricci. Someone who could keep up with the Cumbersnark.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    You know, this IS a comic book, not movie forum, right?

As someone who has read the comics, I don't think Dr. Strange should be a "modern man" foolishly chasing after the latest cultural trends to be 'relatable' -- which doesn't make him relatable to me at all. TBH, I don't really get an impression of trendy from Cumberbatch's MCU Dr. Strange. It's the hubris, and the fall from grace, and the mistakes that make him relatable to me. It's the courage to pick himself back and put himself back together after destroying his own life. It's his willingness to sacrifice.

He's a surgical doctor who had a god complex BEFORE he became magically powerful enough to face gods -- he should be amazing and awesome. He's the freaking guardian of our dimension, facing off against mind shattering horrors. He's enlightened and lived quite a long time. These aren't exactly things that make him a relatable or trendy guy.

That said, I'm fine with the MCU Dr. Strange, because I love Cumberbatch and he captures enough of Strange with the scripts he's given, to satisfy me. But I don't confuse the MCU with the comics books or expect either to follow the other. In fact, I'm often disappointed when the comics do so. MCU Strange is simply a variant of the 616 comic book Strange.
    Yep. But the movies and comics are interconnected so I figured what the hell, I'll ask about them both here. I get why traditional fans of Strange might not like his movie counterpart. But his condescending and arrogant manner is strangely appealing to me when I see it onscreen. I read some jokes that he made in the MoM (haven't seen the film myself yet), and I thought they were hilarious (like snarking about bands from the 60s, forks on dudes' heads, and bad breath). I don't believe Stephen would EVER talk like that in the comic books. And I suppose that's fine. But I can understand why older Strange comic readers would roll their eyes at that ****. I personally think it's great. If I were Feige, I would have absolutely requested that Raimi and Waldron up the percentage of jokes in the MoM even more. Film probably would have done even better. I will say that Cumberbatch has got me beat in one important area. He's actually READ the Strange comic books. I think that helps his portrayal of Stephen immensely. I think we have a fair exchange on the Clea/Strange threads. I find out more about Marvel magic from you, Clea and DigiCom, and in return you discover what an ignorant ******* I AM.

Yep. But the movies and comics are interconnected so I figured what the hell, I'll ask about them both here. I get why traditional fans of Strange might not like his movie counterpart. But his condescending and arrogant manner is strangely appealing to me when I see it onscreen. I read some jokes that he made in the MoM (haven't seen the film myself yet), and I thought they were hilarious (like snarking about bands from the 60s, forks on dudes' heads, and bad breath). I don't believe Stephen would EVER talk like that in the comic books. And I suppose that's fine. But I can understand why older Strange comic readers would roll their eyes at that ****. I personally think it's great. If I were Feige, I would have absolutely requested that Raimi and Waldron up the percentage of jokes in the MoM even more. Film probably would have done even better. I will say that Cumberbatch has got me beat in one important area. He's actually READ the Strange comic books. I think that helps his portrayal of Stephen immensely. I think we have a fair exchange on the Clea/Strange threads. I find out more about Marvel magic from you, Clea and DigiCom, and in return you discover what an ignorant ******* I AM.
    I think that's where you and I differ. I don't treat the MCU and the comics as "interconnected", but as their own things. So I don't (and won't) throw a fit when things don't line up regarding powers, personalities, histories, et al. There are the comics, and there are the movies. While one may inform the other, there's no causal relationship.

Hence, I don't expect MCU Clea (wherever she shows up next) to be much like the comics version at all. She MAY be, but she doesn't HAVE to be.

(That's also why I don't comment on your posts about how writers handle magic in their own works. There are no global hard & fast rules on how to do it, so it really doesn't matter unless I'm discussing those works specifically... and I don't read much fantasy these days.)

I think that's where you and I differ. I don't treat the MCU and the comics as "interconnected", but as their own things. So I don't (and won't) throw a fit when things don't line up regarding powers, personalities, histories, et al. There are the comics, and there are the movies. While one may inform the other, there's no causal relationship.

Hence, I don't expect MCU Clea (wherever she shows up next) to be much like the comics version at all. She MAY be, but she doesn't HAVE to be.

(That's also why I don't comment on your posts about how writers handle magic in their own works. There are no global hard & fast rules on how to do it, so it really doesn't matter unless I'm discussing those works specifically... and I don't read much fantasy these days.)
    Sorry, when I meant interconnected I meant that the movies/shows are based upon the comic books. Nothing more than that. I don't think synergy is needed. In fact, I want the live-action stuff to be different from the comics. Disney can do whatever they want with Clea. As long as she's a "magical gal" from another dimension and possesses a VERY unique fashion taste, I'm okay with whatever adaptation is made. I like Strange doing crazy visually entertaining **** onscreen because that is a major appeal of his character. But I don't think it will be great if he is too OP. Like doesn't Stephen ever get tired after casting spells? Not that I know of. But apparently he does some cool **** in the MoM without turning into Doctor Deus Ex Machina.

I'm not sure if it's a great idea if Strange and Clea join the Midnight Sons in the MCU. I mean, they are a "scary group" and I feel Strange and Clea belong more to the "cosmic" corner of the MCU. "Dimensions" means "outer space" to me. I mean can you really picture Clea hanging out with Ghost Rider, Werewolf by Night, Man-Thing, Moon Knight, Blade and Hellstrom?! I'm like, NO!!!

I'm not sure if it's a great idea if Strange and Clea join the Midnight Sons in the MCU. I mean, they are a "scary group" and I feel Strange and Clea belong more to the "cosmic" corner of the MCU. "Dimensions" means "outer space" to me. I mean can you really picture Clea hanging out with Ghost Rider, Werewolf by Night, Man-Thing, Moon Knight, Blade and Hellstrom?! I'm like, NO!!!
    Vampires, Werewolves, Supernatural Swamp Creatures, Demons & Avatars of Ancient Gods... This sound exactly like the type of thing Dr Strange & Clea should be involved in. Yes, Dr Strange can face Outer Gods of horrifying power, but he's not above taking out a vampire or ghost.

That depends on which Clea we are casting.

If we are talking OG naive Clea, I might suggest someone like Evanna Lynch (Luna from the HP movies).

For a more modern version, maybe Emily Blunt or Christina Ricci. Someone who could keep up with the Cumbersnark.
    I do love Emily Blunt and she's a great actress.

And that's a great point about an actress that can trade jabs with Cumberbatch. Originally, I thought of Eva Green, but now, I'm not so sure. A friend thought Kristen Bell would be good, but I can't see that at all.

That's the thing about characters like Stephen & Clea. On the one hand, they can stand toe-to-toe with cosmic horrors like Shuma-Gorath & Satannish... but on the other hand, they can deal with the smaller terrors of ordinary people. Hell, Clea was a member of the Defenders, back in the day.

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in power levels if I were you.