Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Great first issue! If MacKay keeps it up, I'm not sure how happy I'll be when Stephen inevitably returns....

My only critique would be why not call this series something else? Sorcer(ess) Supreme would've been a more fitting title than Strange; or even just Clea works for me.
    Calling the book 'Strange' provides some continuity for fans who don't know who Clea is. She's been sidelined for so long that I suspect a lot of casual Doctor Strange fans don't really know about her. I'd have to go back and actually count the years in which she regularly appeared vs the years in which Marvel broke them up as a couple and banished her to oblivion in the Dark Dimension, but for most of the last several years, she has barely been around at all. Had they called it Sorceress Supreme, I think some fans would complain and whine, 'Oh look, Marvel is replacing a DUDE with a GIRL to be WOKE!!!111!!!" and skip over it.

Possibly the title is also a pointer to the throughline of this story, which is Clea's goal to find and restore Stephen Strange. (That may be a stretch. I'd have to ask Jed MacKay if this was one of his intentions.)

I appreciated the point that Clea made in this issue that the Faltine don't have surnames (and from what we've seen, neither did her Mhuruuk ancestors), so she purposely adopted Strange's last name to show the world that Strange is still the Sorcerer Supreme, and she is enacting his last wishes.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

PHYSICIAN/PSYCHIATRIST WAKANDA FOREVER!'s Avatar

Clea keepin' it straight gangsta. I like.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clea View Post
    Calling the book 'Strange' provides some continuity for fans who don't know who Clea is. She's been sidelined for so long that I suspect a lot of casual Doctor Strange fans don't really know about her. I'd have to go back and actually count the years in which she regularly appeared vs the years in which Marvel broke them up as a couple and banished her to oblivion in the Dark Dimension, but for most of the last several years, she has barely been around at all. Had they called it Sorceress Supreme, I think some fans would complain and whine, 'Oh look, Marvel is replacing a DUDE with a GIRL to be WOKE!!!111!!!" and skip over it.

Possibly the title is also a pointer to the throughline of this story, which is Clea's goal to find and restore Stephen Strange. (That may be a stretch. I'd have to ask Jed MacKay if this was one of his intentions.)

I appreciated the point that Clea made in this issue that the Faltine don't have surnames (and from what we've seen, neither did her Mhuruuk ancestors), so she purposely adopted Strange's last name to show the world that Strange is still the Sorcerer Supreme, and she is enacting his last wishes.
    I love Clea, but I hate that she continues to be defined by Stephen Strange -- as several of Marvel's femmes are defined by the men in their lives. And I hate that she's little more than a placeholder here. When Stephen is inevitably brought back, it will be back to limbo for Clea. Or worse, she'll be the occasional background filler and eye candy as his paramour again. Sad.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I love Clea, but I hate that she continues to be defined by Stephen Strange -- as several of Marvel's femmes are defined by the men in their lives. And I hate that she's little more than a placeholder here. When Stephen is inevitably brought back, it will be back to limbo for Clea. Or worse, she'll be the occasional background filler and eye candy as his paramour again. Sad.
    Well the female characters in question are taking/carrying the mantels of pre-existing Male characters.

I never got this complaint, like ofc the men play a role in female characters roles not because of their gender but because the mantle belonged to them before being carried forward by new characters.

I do agree the Strange stuff comes in heavy though, specially since we haven't seen their relationship(and her) for so long

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Marvel will eventually bring Stephen Strange back and restore him to his own book again so I'm not surprised that Clea's goal here is to find him and bring him back. (My hope is that MacKay writes this initial new launch because he has a good grasp of the character and the magical side of the Marvel Universe.) I do think that this series will be more than just a placeholder until Strange returns. My hope is that it will truly establish Clea as a major character in her own right so that when Strange does return, she won't be shunted off to the sidelines again. Realistically, I can only see that happening if Clea is somehow permanently separated from the Dark Dimension so that she's free to engage with the other Earth-focused Marvel teams and stories.

Right now, we don't know what is happening in the Dark Dimension. Where are Umar and Dormammu? We know that Doom stole some (all?) of Dormammu's power, but was that temporary or permanent? As an aside, how does a human steal the power from a being who is composed of pure magical energy? Did Doom kill Dormammu? Perhaps these matters will be addressed in this series. I have no idea.

Even if MacKay isn't going to deal with the Dark Dimension in this series, there is still plenty of opportunity for him to showcase Clea and end this series with her being seen as a fully fleshed out character in her own right, with her relationships with the Earth-focused heroes outlined and established.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

To me, a solo set in the Dark Dimension feels like the best way to go. You could explore what being the sorceror supreme of the Dark Dimension would look like. But you need someone like Al Ewing to go wild with big sci-fi/fantasy ideas.

If you want her to get used outside of Doctor Strange's cast, you gotta give her more connections to the MU. Maybe Guardians of the Galaxy is a good place to start?
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-03-2022 at 02:16 PM.

Quick recap and thoughts on Strange #1:
    This new series picks up very closely on the conclusion of Death of Doctor Strange. Clea is now the Sorcerer Supreme of the Earth Dimension. She and Wong are both profoundly grieving the loss of Stephen Strange. Wong is drinking himself to oblivion and Clea is avoiding giving in to despair by becoming hyper-focused on bringing Strange back to life. She shuts down Victor von Doom's demand that she relinquish the title of Sorcerer Supreme to him, and isn't the slightest bit concerned when he threatens to call on the Vishanti for aid. She and Wong set out to get coffee from a (very cool) hidden goblin market (the Shrouded Bazaar) that is home to a variety of interesting beings and interdimensional magical refugees from the recent attacks from the Mothers and the Peregrine Child in the DoDS series. The market is attacked by a magical gang calling itself the Blasphemy Cartel. Clea - who is in no mood to parlay with these marauders - simply kills all of them save one, who she sends back to his home base with a message that there's a new Sorcerer Supreme in town. Later, when a spell she'd cast to detect necromantic activity is triggered, she zooms off without hesitation, convinced that it must be Stephen returning from the dead. It isn't. It's a revenant of some sort who is being tracked by a masked figure with a huge scythe. From previews, we know that this is Death's henchman, known as The Harvestman. The end.

I thought that this was an excellent way to kickoff this new series. In interviews, writer Jed MacKay said that he wanted to explore Clea's alien nature and in particular, her Faltine heritage. The Faltine are an ancient race of beings who are composed of pure magical energy. Her mother (Umar) and uncle (Dormammu) are considered abominations by their own kind because they craved taking physical form so that they could experience life in material form and conquer the physical dimensions. Umar and Dormammu are both murderous and relentless in their pursuits. Clea has typically been portrayed as being gentle, reasonable, and kind, but we have seen her manifest her Faltine side in situations when she's been extremely stressed and angry. Although she rejected the cruel pathway her Faltine relatives chose, she is aware that she has these same powers within her. I'm super pleased that MacKay is going to explore her alien nature and not just write her as if she was a human woman/throwaway love interest.

Gotta admit that I laughed all the way through the scenes with Doom. I thought his rant was hilarious. [Doom fans may disagree.] “Listen here, girlie! This isn’t how this is done! How dare Strange give this title to his woman??!!OMG!!11!!” Wah! Wah! I’m going to tell my Mommy! I mean the Vishanti!!!111!!!” LOL. Doom is so used to intimidating everyone in his path that he forgot that he was talking to a hyper-angry, hyper-stressed, grieving, half-Faltine, alien queen. Perhaps he's only ever encountered her before when she's been in a better mood. I dunno. But she went Faltine on him and dared him to go whine to the Vishanti. Doom was so startled that he turned tail and left. LOL. LOL. LOL. I mean, it's likely that he'll be back and in a much more dangerous mode, but for the moment he fled and took his rant with him. LOL.

I absolutely love everything about the Shrouded Bazaar. What's not to love about a hidden goblin market right in the heart of Manhattan, populated by varieties of magical beings and refugees from across the Multiverse? There is so much potential here for future stories.

Wong was horrified and angry that Clea killed all the Blasphemy Cartel marauders. He chastised her and said that Stephen Strange would never have killed them like that. This was a great way for MacKay to demonstrate how different Clea is from the human heroes. Stephen Strange may have found a less lethal way to deal with the cartel members, but Clea spent years as a freedom fighter waging a war to free the Dark Dimension from Dormammu. She isn't going to put up with evil criminals using magic to terrorize anyone under her watch. She spent too long fighting against that sort of cruelty in the Dark Dimension. If she'd let them get away, they'd just have come back.

That said, I do think that her violent response to the Cartel, as well as the way she quickly went full Faltine on Doom is a sign of how profoundly upset she is as this new series opens. Clea can be feisty but she's usually not rash or violent. She's typically gentle, kind, and diplomatic. She told Wong that her great plan to bring Stephen Strange back from the dead is all that's keeping her going, so she's focusing on that plan with all of her might. The way she went zooming off at the slightest whiff of necromantic activity, convinced it was Stephen coming back to her is proof that she's acting irrationally right now. She's not truly dealing with her grief or her loss. She's papering over it with what may be an impossible quest. If she ever loses her faith that she can bring Stephen back from the dead, what will become of her then?

Last random thoughts:
    I hope we find out what's going on back in the Dark Dimension.

Bats barking at the door like the dog he is cracked me up. Woof!

I laughed when Clea referred to the Avengers as Stephen's "little friends – the cape and mask ones." I guess from her perspective, human superheroes would seem minor compared to the cosmic beings that she encounters. She is quasi (or possibly fully) immortal, likely thousands of years old in human terms, descended from beings composed of pure magical energy, and is the on-again/off-again ruler of an entire dimension. Of all of the usual, non-magical Marvel heroes, I think she has the most in common with the Asgardians. This was another way that MacKay is showcasing what a unique character she is, right from the start of this series.

What was the secret fourth thing that Stephen Strange entrusted to Clea before he died (again) in the DoDS mini-series? Was it something as simple as a reaffirmation of his love for her, and a promise to stay with her forever, should he ever find a way to return to world of the living? Could be. Or could be something mysterious and sneaky. I expect Jed MacKay will tell us in his own good time.

Finally, since I love Bats, I'll close out with this picture. Look how happy Bats is when Clea promises that she'll restore Strange to life.
    Last edited by Clea; 03-03-2022 at 03:04 PM.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

What was the secret fourth thing that Stephen Strange entrusted to Clea before he died (again) in the DoDS mini-series? Was it something as simple as a reaffirmation of his love for her, and a promise to stay with her forever, should he ever find a way to return to world of the living? Could be. Or could be something mysterious and sneaky. I expect Jed MacKay will tell us in his own good time.
    It might be trite, but my first thought was "his heart". Remember those rings they used to wear?

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    It might be trite, but my first thought was "his heart". Remember those rings they used to wear?
    Yes, the rings that bound them together forever. If he did give her his ring, I wonder if she could use it to locate him in the afterlife?
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I guess...?

The whole thing is reminiscent of the Jane Foster debate. Thor was her predecessor's name, not a title to be handed down, yet the comic she starred in was called The Mighty Thor. In this case, there is an actual title to be handed down (Sorcerer/Sorceress Supreme), so why call the comic the actual name of the guy that was here before?

End of the day, it's irrelevant because I love both characters and I love the book!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I guess...?

The whole thing is reminiscent of the Jane Foster debate. Thor was her predecessor's name, not a title to be handed down, yet the comic she starred in was called The Mighty Thor. In this case, there is an actual title to be handed down (Sorcerer/Sorceress Supreme), so why call the comic the actual name of the guy that was here before?

End of the day, it's irrelevant because I love both characters and I love the book!
    Well, Clea did say that she's assumed Stephen's last name (at least for now) so it's her name now and there is still a Strange in the Sanctum. Still, I understand your point.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

I guess...?

Honestly? Branding. Strange is simply more likely to sell than Clea (a relatively unknown character outside fandom) or Sorcerer Supreme (which sounds like a pizza order: "I'll have the Sorcerer Supreme with extra sausage!").

AIPT reviews Strange #1 and gives the issue an 8.5 (Great). It would have earned a higher score but the reviewer cited some issues with the artwork (that I agree with).

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/02/28/strange-1-review/

"Strange #1 is a good start to a different kind of magical Marvel series that’s edgier and darker. MacKay has nailed the new Sorcerer Supreme giving Clea a darker purpose while leaning into her dark beginnings. It’s playing out as a series that’ll pull no punches, especially for a Big-Two series."
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Honestly? Branding. Strange is simply more likely to sell than Clea (a relatively unknown character outside fandom) or Sorcerer Supreme (which sounds like a pizza order: "I'll have the Sorcerer Supreme with extra sausage!").

*bites tongue*
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Oh dear. Screenrant thinks that Clea is too violent and ruthless to appear in the MCU. In fact, they think she is "gruesome," lacks a moral code, and is too violent to last long in the role of Sorcerer Supreme in the comics.

https://screenrant.com/new-sorcerer-...iolent-killer/

I think it's too soon to judge MacKay's version of Clea and write her off as being too bloody-minded for Marvel, just based on one issue. She's just experienced the love of her life die three times and we have no idea what she's been through in the Dark Dimension in the last few years. She didn't seek out the role of Sorcerer Supreme of Earth. It was thrust upon her as Strange's dying wish. We don't yet know if MacKay is going to characterize her as being this violent as her default personality, or if he's showing a side a Clea that we only see when she has been pushed beyond her limits by emotional stress. For the most part in her history in Marvel, Clea has typically been portrayed as a kind and good person who wants to restore peace, harmony, and hope back to the Dark Dimension. She does have a bit of a temper though, and we have seen her react badly when attacked or threatened. We do know that she spent quite a long time in the Dark Dimension leading resistance fighters, but for the most part, we don't actually know what she's been through for the last several years simply because Marvel sidelined her into character limbo for a long time. I hope (and expect) MacKay to explore her as a character at a deeper level and not just have her smiting everyone in sight throughout this series.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.