Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Newspaper Comics & Their Collections

With IDW's Library of American Comics and Fantagraphics leading the pack in reprints it's a great time to be a fan of newspaper comic strips: Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes, Krazy Kat, Pogo, Flash Gordon, Dick Tracy, Terry and the Pirates, Li'l Abner, Captain Easy, Cul de Sac, Popeye, Gasoline Alley, and many many many many more!

I'm really getting into Alley Oop via IDW's one-shot volume of the 1939 dailies. I love the comedy and adventure, like Popeye but played a bit more straight (Popeye vs. Oop, now there's a crossover that needs to happen!). I'm ecstatic to learn that Dark Horse is gonna start putting out the Oop Sundays, which I believe is there first big stab at releasing classic strips, right?

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Yes indeed, DH is putting out a new Alley oop hc soon if you're interesting. Check the DH new hardcover thread!
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

BANNED

I like that Lynn Johnston is putting out Treasury Editions of the For Better or For Worse strips.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I'm enjoying Captain Easy the most from Fantagraphics right now, and I especially love the easy access to Milton Caniff through IDW.

Popeye by Segar was great, loving Fanta's Prince Valiant series. Collected editions are really the best format for reading PV and other serialized strips. I never could get into Prince Valiant before, my folks would always praise the art. It's a great series and the olumes look nice on the shelf. The spines aren't colorful, but its a dignified and classy look.

Prince Valiant looks spectacular and is probably my favorite newspaper strip. IDW's Russ Manning Tarzan deserves some praise, too. Both IDW and Fantagraphics are putting out some great looking collections right now. I'm going to go broke.

I would like to see some Rudolph Dirks' Katzenjammer Kids (aka 'The Captain and the Kids') collected in some nice hardback volumes. That was a favorite strip of my father, and it has historical significance as the longest running U.S. strip,lasting over 100 years. Probably a best of collection would be the most feasable.

Anyone here have the "Bringing Up Father' volumes from IDW? Its funny stuff, love Jiggs and Maggie. Hope to see future volumes. Thought about getting the Blondie volumes but passed after reading reviews. Basically it takes a few years to really get going.

I have the 6 Popeye volumes from Fantagraphics, one Beetle Bailey hardcover from Checker containing the first two years of the strip, the first nine Prince Valiant volumes and the three Flash Gordon by Alex Raymond volumes from Titan. FG was not quite my cup of tea, I got them after riding high reading the first six Valiant volumes and was looking for a similarly lush and masterfully illustrated tome.

The Mickey Mouse by Floyd Gottfredson volumes are also pretty fantastic, with great reproduction and plenty of extras such as essays and other supplemental material. I always wait for the 2-volume box sets in the fall, they have great box artwork.

^Mickey Mouse is totally awesome. Gottfredson's story lines would make excellent movies if Disney was ever so inclined.

It's a far more recent vintage, but I am staggered at how good Peter O'Donnell's 'Modesty Blaise' strip collections from Titan Books are.
    The flow is amazing, with none of that stop-start you occasionally get with adventure strip collections, plus the scripting is really top-notch.
    "Loudly proclaiming that you are above childish things isn't a sign of maturity - it's proof of adolescence." - Schnitzy Pretzelpants

Co-host of The 'Mike & Pól Save The Universe' Comics podcast - check it out on www.mikeandpol.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pól Rua View Post
    It's a far more recent vintage, but I am staggered at how good Peter O'Donnell's 'Modesty Blaise' strip collections from Titan Books are.
    The flow is amazing, with none of that stop-start you occasionally get with adventure strip collections, plus the scripting is really top-notch.
    +100
    One of my favorite reprint series even though they're not hardcovers -- I changed my user name after the forum redo to show that. I appreciate the job they did keeping the trade dress consistent all these years (there's around 23 volumes published 2-3 times a year). I can't wait to finish the collection with about 8 more books to come.

BANNED

Now is definitely a good time for strip collections.

So far I have six volumes of Mickey Mouse and the first volume of Buzz Sawyer. I'd like to get that complete Calvin & Hobbes hardcover set. And check out strips I've never really read like Doonesbury and Dick Tracy.

I also have all of Wally Wood's Cannon and all but one of his Sally Forth, which were strips but I forget where they were published. Possibly a military magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    I would like to see some Rudolph Dirks' Katzenjammer Kids (aka 'The Captain and the Kids') collected in some nice hardback volumes. That was a favorite strip of my father, and it has historical significance as the longest running U.S. strip,lasting over 100 years. Probably a best of collection would be the most feasable.

Anyone here have the "Bringing Up Father' volumes from IDW? Its funny stuff, love Jiggs and Maggie. Hope to see future volumes. Thought about getting the Blondie volumes but passed after reading reviews. Basically it takes a few years to really get going.

I have the 6 Popeye volumes from Fantagraphics, one Beetle Bailey hardcover from Checker containing the first two years of the strip, the first nine Prince Valiant volumes and the three Flash Gordon by Alex Raymond volumes from Titan. FG was not quite my cup of tea, I got them after riding high reading the first six Valiant volumes and was looking for a similarly lush and masterfully illustrated tome.
    Totally agree with The Katzenjammer Kids / The Captain and the Kids. Still mKes me LOL
    Engaging discussion of comics 10 years old or older http://classiccomics.boards.net

I have (and love) the Calvin & Hobbes 3-volume hard-cover slip-case collection. I just wish the pages were sewn instead of glued.