Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

After releasing all the Roy Crane Captain Easy Sunday strips Fanta is gonna do the daily strips... albeit not a complete series, rather, they're gonna put out a big 'best of' collection:

http://www.amazon.com/Hurricane-Isle...=fantagraphics

Hey, I'll take it. I understand that it isn't feasible to release long-running complete series sets of every strip. Heck, I wonder how the market supports all the ones we have now!

It's expensive right now! I'm at least one volume behind on each of the following series: Popeye, Rose is Rose, Brewster Rockit! Space Guy, King Aroo, Mickey Mouse; Little Orphan Annie; Manning's Tarzan; and the 60s DC superhero strips. Whew! It's a great time for classic reprints, but it's also a terrible time, you know what I mean?

Since I'm here, I might as well ask: no one has announced an updated reprinting of Kirby/Wood's Sky Masters of the Space Force, have they?

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    It's expensive right now! I'm at least one volume behind on each of the following series: Popeye, Rose is Rose, Brewster Rockit! Space Guy, King Aroo, Mickey Mouse; Little Orphan Annie; Manning's Tarzan; and the 60s DC superhero strips. Whew! It's a great time for classic reprints, but it's also a terrible time, you know what I mean?
    Absolutely. I have an incredibly huge backlog, but at least those comic strips collections are great to swap to whenever I feel a bit burned out by 'normal' comic books.

And for a quick trip to the toilet! :P

Anyone order the first Boby London Popeye volume and how is it? Initially I pre-ordered it, then I decided that I really don't like his visual style and cancelled. I'll stick to Segar, Sagendorf and Eisman.

^Haven't picked that up yet, but I'm a huge Popeye fan, so it's only a matter of time.

Anyway, reading the classic strip compilation The Celebrated Cases of Dick Tracy. Man, crime just does not pay! ... at least, according to Chester Gould. In real life criminals either run or have there hands in everything. If only we had Dick Tracy going after corporate criminals.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    Anyone order the first Boby London Popeye volume and how is it? Initially I pre-ordered it, then I decided that I really don't like his visual style and cancelled. I'll stick to Segar, Sagendorf and Eisman.
    The visual style is a little rough compared to Sagendorf, which is what I grew up with. So far I've only read the first 50 pages, but the jokes are good if you remember the eighties. Lots of jokes on current events back then, and some of them are quite clever. If the rest of volume 1 is this entertaining, I'll get volume 2 if/when IDW publish it.

Amazing Member pearlofthepacific's Avatar

Peter O'Donnell's 'Modesty Blaise' strip collections
    That really interested me. I have had various Modesty Blaise titles on order for 2 years or more, and finally received "The Young Mistress" . I haven't read any of the newer titles, but I feel a real cut-out between script and images. The images show Modesty in her undies, for example, but the script is completely "office neutral" in register. At present I can't see why it is so highly regarded, but I will be interested to find out more.

chris stevens

some great books in here. i'll throw my favorite collection in the mix, the sunday press LITTLE NEMO IN SLUMBERLAND books. they are glorious, 16x21 collections of one of the greatest comic strips ever. these books inspired our upcoming LITTLE NEMO : DREAM ANOTHER DREAM, a 144 page tribute to the original featuring over 120 of the best creators in comics today, including paul pope, david mack, jh williams3, bill sienkiewicz, michael allred, charles vess, jg jones, cliff chiang, fabio moon&gabriel ba, jill thompson, peter bagge, craig thompson, and many, many more. please take a peak at the link if you're interested!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-another-dream

Amazing Member Prince Disarming's Avatar

Does anyone here have Society is Nix or Forgotten Fantasy from Sunday Press Books. Both look like really great anthologies of some of the earliest comic strips where a lot of experimentation was still taking place. I'm quite tempted to pick them up at some point in the future, but they are quite pricey so it would be excellent to get some opinions on them.

Newspaper comics-- of the non-superhero variety-- have always been some of my very favorites and in my household we've actually got a pretty wide collection of trades and special volumes. I'd love to get more.

I put off getting the collected ultimate hardcover edition of The Far Side when it first came out because it was so dang expensive-- now I definitely wish I'd picked it up when it first came out. Another on my wishlist is the big Calvin and Hobbes hardcover collection was that posted above, and I'd love to get my hands on some classic Mickey Mouse collections and Garfield.

I'm also looking forward to the hardcover Wonder Woman Newspaper Comics coming out later this year.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by comic_nerd View Post
    I put off getting the collected ultimate hardcover edition of The Far Side when it first came out because it was so dang expensive-- now I definitely wish I'd picked it up when it first came out. Another on my wishlist is the big Calvin and Hobbes hardcover collection was that posted above
    If you're interested, a SC edition of The Far Side is due in November, it's now available for pre-order on Amazon for about 77 bucks.

Oh, and the C&H collection above is not hardcover, the hardcover one has three books, not four. This one is a SC, and I got myself one of those, didn't regret for a second. It's cheaper, lighter and easier to handle. Also, there were binding-related complaints on Amazon concerning the hardcover collection, apparently, the books tend to fall apart quickly (that could be fixed in later prints, of course, but still I was apprehensive).
    Last edited by zaboraviti; 11-11-2014 at 06:23 PM.

"The Definitive Betty Boop: The Classic Comic Strip Collection", to be released by Titan on September 2015, is currently 51% off on Amazon.com.

Fantastic Member

I have the cumbersome Calvin and Hobbes hardcover slip case collection and have been buying the Dick Tracy collection as it has been released. Most of the solid work taking place during the Golden Age of comic books takes place in newspaper strips. Most comic book writers and artist interviewed who worked in the Golden Age usually dreamed, strove or worked to get into newspaper strips.

I want to check out Flash Gordon.

Reading the 4th volume of Floyd Gottfredson's Mickey Mouse dailies, and it's just such a smooth reading experience, you know? I mean, reading a collection of newspaper comics (especially a serialized adventure strip like Mickey) is much different than reading a comic book. You have have to take into account that each strip is its own unit. They were published 24 hours apart from each other and you have to adjust to that rhythm.

But I don't have to do that at all with Mickey. It reads very naturally as a comic book, and I can understand how easy it was for companies to reformat the strip into comic book form like various publishers across the globe ended up doing.