Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I keep finding myself returning to the two wide-ranging comic strip anthologies Bill Blackbeard edited: The Smithsonian Collection of Newspaper Comics and 100 Years of Comic Strips. Since classic newspaper collections are quite pricy (trying to restrain myself from expanding beyond the 7 or so titles I'm already collecting!) the existence of these comprehensive overviews spotlighting hundreds of strips throughout the entire 20th century is just invaluable.

I'm excited about getting Brian Walker's book, "The Comics," which I understand is a similar kind of collection.

I really enjoyed the Star Wars newspaper comics from the late 70s and early 80s. They were reprinted by Dark Horse in the 90s, and the collections just went digital on Comixology ("Classic Star Wars" Volumes 1-3 and "Classic Star Wars: The Early Years.") These included a great story about finding Hoth, and the very first depiction of Han Solo's encounter with the bounty hunter on Ord Mantell.

^Were the makers of the newspaper comic (and Marvel's comic books) privy to information about where the next Star Wars film would start and adjust their storylines so that there'd be continuity, like having the characters set-up base on Hoth before Empire came out?

All-New Member

Hey,

I've got the first hardback collection of Secret Agent X-9, by Archie Goodwin and Al Williamson. Man, it's the goods. I also have a wee Peanuts hardback, which is also awesome. Both books are pretty awesome guides on layouts and inking, in particular.

Jonny

IDW will put out their fourth and last Russ Manning Tarzan NewspaperStrips this month. It's so exciting to have a complete collection of these. These LOAC collections are the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    ^Were the makers of the newspaper comic (and Marvel's comic books) privy to information about where the next Star Wars film would start and adjust their storylines so that there'd be continuity, like having the characters set-up base on Hoth before Empire came out?
    The stories documenting the departure from Yavin 4 and escape to Hoth were published in 1983, so well after Episode V's release.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Cannon View Post
    Hey,

I've got the first hardback collection of Secret Agent X-9, by Archie Goodwin and Al Williamson. Man, it's the goods. I also have a wee Peanuts hardback, which is also awesome. Both books are pretty awesome guides on layouts and inking, in particular.

Jonny
    I have that first Secret Agent X-9 book by Goodwin and Williamson too and it looks fantastic. Haven't had a chance to read any of it yet. I'm eagerly anticipating the Raymond and Hammett collection which comes out soon too.

Titan Comics is gonna start producing facsimile reprints of the original Peanuts paperback collections from the '50s and '60s. Before my time, but nevertheless I think that's really super cool.

Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post
    Totally agree with The Katzenjammer Kids / The Captain and the Kids. Still mKes me LOL
    This has to be one of the weirdest chapters in American popular culture: an artist booted from his popular creation and replaced, only to set up shop at another company and resume doing the exact same strip with the same characters only under a different (but similar sounding) name. Two competing versions of the same thing!

... I guess it's not too uncommon to have, say, two Hercules movies or two Frankenstein movies made by two companies at the same time, but it'd be rare for both versions of a thing to become equally popular and long-running. Nowadays, branding is so important I don't think such a thing would be attempted, because the all-important licensing would be split up.

Fantastic Member

I pick up the Complete Dick Tracy when each volume is released. Recently, I picked up the first four volumes of the Peanuts and enjoyed that. I have the hardcover Calvin and Hobbes. Back in the day, I would pick up Beetle Bailey paperbacks and read them while chowing down on pizza.

Totally forgot this thread exists and keep polluting the general hc thread. I will try to remember to post here about the strip collections instead of that thread.

just got the Miss Fury Sensational Sundays: 1941-1944 hc from IDW and what a lovely book! Can't wait to dive into it but I had to start Quest for the timebird first but this will be my next read.
    Probably gonna buy the Wonder Woman sunday strip book next, any objections? I'm really interested in the original author's work and this is the most affordable hc currently on the market (also I rather buy an IDW hc than a DC one)

It's the FINAL COUNTDOWN! There are just moments left to HELP SAVE The Sunday Comics, come on over today to get it! https://www.kickstarter.com/proje…/8...hesundaycomics

Anybody has the Complete Chester Gould Dick Tracy books from IDW?
    I got vol 5 not so long ago and was surprised how small it is. Checked the content and on some pages with more panels it's quite bad, the art and the text is just too small.
    Looked it up on amazon and according to their listings some of the books, from vol8 it seems like, are bigger.
    Is that true? And if so, WHY? Are there bigger and smaller versions of all the volumes?
    It's just so strange that IDW made these very famous strip reprints undersized (and on glossy paper! bleh) while doing a mighty fine job with other books.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Anybody has the Complete Chester Gould Dick Tracy books from IDW?
    I got vol 5 not so long ago and was surprised how small it is. Checked the content and on some pages with more panels it's quite bad, the art and the text is just too small.
    Looked it up on amazon and according to their listings some of the books, from vol8 it seems like, are bigger.
    Is that true? And if so, WHY? Are there bigger and smaller versions of all the volumes?
    It's just so strange that IDW made these very famous strip reprints undersized (and on glossy paper! bleh) while doing a mighty fine job with other books.
    The first six volumes were published by IDW "proper" -- after that, they turned it over to an IDW imprint, the Library of American Comics. Different people involved, and they decided to switch over to a larger format like they'd done with Terry and the Pirates and Little Orphan Annie. (Except those publish Sundays in color, while the Dick Tracy Sundays are still black and white, even in the larger format.)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=19782