Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    The first six volumes were published by IDW "proper" -- after that, they turned it over to an IDW imprint, the Library of American Comics. Different people involved, and they decided to switch over to a larger format like they'd done with Terry and the Pirates and Little Orphan Annie. (Except those publish Sundays in color, while the Dick Tracy Sundays are still black and white, even in the larger format.)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=19782
    thanks so much for the response! That is really annoying, who would have thought they changed format during publishing. I would have skipped the first 6 if I knew I only bought this because it was cheap on the FP black friday sale, no wonder.
    Yeah, maybe I'm snobbish but the digest size is really bothering me.

All-New Member

I don't think that is snobbish at all. I like nice large reprints. The Mickey Mouse reprints are about the low end for size for me.

Quote Originally Posted by lazerbeat View Post
    I don't think that is snobbish at all. I like nice large reprints. The Mickey Mouse reprints are about the low end for size for me.
    I like when the art is in the right size. I had some problems with Fanta's Popeye. The book is huge but the strips are too small. They should only put half as many strips on a page.

Also, I just spotted Mandrake the magician which as far as I can tell was supposed to come out in 2012 but it apparently comes out this MArch or April. Anybody knows anything about this book? Is it gonna come out this year or is it one of those books that never ever gonna be published just keeps getting pushed back?

Also, also: any opinions on the Hermes press books? I'm mainly interested in the Phantom maybe Buck Rogers but they are a bit pricey and I don't know anything about the build quality.

Volume 5 of Fantagraphics' Popeye set has been out of print and fetching such hight prices for so long I doubted I'd ever complete my 6 volume set (since all the spines spell out 'Popeye' when placed together that made it all the more frustrating), but I just happened to run across a like new used copy at a local bookstore for $8!

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Volume 5 of Fantagraphics' Popeye set has been out of print and fetching such hight prices for so long I doubted I'd ever complete my 6 volume set (since all the spines spell out 'Popeye' when placed together that made it all the more frustrating), but I just happened to run across a like new used copy at a local bookstore for $8!
    Great pick up for you then!
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

nice! I wasn't that keen on the one volume I have (vol2) but didn't manage to sell it. Maybe now that it's oop...

Congrats on that score dude! I recently decided to try and track these down. I got lucky on this last FCBD and a store I visited had vol 5 for 30% off cover. Vol 2,3,4,6 I got from IST and vol 1 I found for cover price on Goodwill’s Amazon account. That $8 is an amazing deal!

I really enjoyed the Star Wars newspaper comics from the late 70s and early 80s. They were reprinted by Dark Horse in the 90s, and the collections just went digital on Comixology ("Classic Star Wars" Volumes 1-3 and "Classic Star Wars: The Early Years.") These included a great story about finding Hoth, and the very first depiction of Han Solo's encounter with the bounty hunter on Ord Mantell.
    marvel is reprinting them in epic collections also!

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Leg...%2C162&sr=8-29

The he-man 80s newspaper strips are great also. Less goofy then the shows. It's a mix between the mini comics and the cartoon taking things from both.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Recently discovered Krazy Kat and it’s definitely a gem from the pre-Golden Age era.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Recently discovered Krazy Kat and it’s definitely a gem from the pre-Golden Age era.
    Krazy Kat is awsome. Try this one (LOAC Essentials, Vol. 8: Presents King Features Vol. 1: Krazy Kat 1934):

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Krazy Kat is awsome. Try this one (LOAC Essentials, Vol. 8: Presents King Features Vol. 1: Krazy Kat 1934):
    Thanks.

Anyway, speaking of which, who would you guys say are the 10 most famous characters that appeared in newspaper comic strips (1897-1937) before Superman’s debut in 1938? After looking around, this is the list I came up with:

Little Nemo (1905)

Felix the Cat (1923)

Buck Rogers (1929)

Popeye (1929)

Tarzan (1929)

Tintin (1929)

Mickey Mouse (1930)

Dick Tracy (1931)

Flash Gordon (1934)

The Phantom (1936)

Terry Lee (1934) needs to be on that list.

Btw, why stop at 1938? Apart from getting his own strip, Superman didn‘t have any influence on the most famous and popular strips of the next decades (Prince Valiant, Steve Canyon, Johnny Hazard, Rip Kirby etc.)
    Last edited by LordJulius; 10-05-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Terry Lee (1934) needs to be on that list.

Btw, why stop at 1938? Apart from getting his own strip, Superman didn‘t have any influence on the most famous and popular strips of the next decades (Prince Valiant, Steve Canyon, Johnny Hazard, Rip Kirby etc.)
    I suppose I felt like diving the eras more, as in Platinum Age, since I’m new to researching that particular era of comics as of late.

Ah, okay. But at least from the Golden Age onwards these terms only apply to comic books (and from the SA even almost exclusively to superhero books). When people talk about the “Golden Age” of strips, that begins much earlier than 1938 and has the more general meaning of “height of its popularity”.

I picked up the recently published LOAC collection of the first year of Charlie Chan strips. And I've been working my way through the first three volumes of the Complete Library collections for For Better Or For Worse.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.