Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default X-Men # 9 Review, Discussion and Spoilers

Welp since no one else seems inclined, I guess I'll create the review thread. A rather unusual but entertaining issue that's split into two or three parts.

The issue starts off with Krakoa, Arrako and Phobos each discussing war. While Krakoa hasn't been shy of confronting Orchis directly or indirectly before, the council seems a bit hesitant on disrupting the peaceful mirage of Krakoa to their allies and citizens. As shown in the preview, Nimrod and Dr Stasis go off to recruit M.O.D.O.K into Orchis, meanwhile Storm is holding a vote on Arakko to return to Amenth and "resume war making", which is deadlocked but Storm votes to continue peace as well giving out hints of Redroots return.

The next half of the issue focuses on Gambit and Rogue on a space station for criminals and vagabonds called Oblitus, where they planned on sweet-talking the locals. Destiny greets them and seems to have beaten them to the punch, telling them they won't find any answers here, but Rogue and Gambit somehow get involved in a bar brawl anyhow. Destiny and Gambit banter regarding Rogue's choice in men, which poor Remy is definitely not a fave son-in-law for either of them, as well as giving some potential hints that Irene and Raven want Rogue to side with them in the future. Gambit eventually leaves Irene with a nice jab that while both love Rogue in their own way, at least his love "comes with no strings attached".

Our last scene has Storm meet Sunfire on Arrako, as he has chosen to build himself a home there and has already garnered challenges from the locals. Might just be me, but appears to be a hint that Sunfire might leave the book for either space or Otherworld? Though might be reading too much into it.

That about wraps up the issue. Over all, I enjoyed it and am glad Rogue finally got some spotlight this issue, a bit through the lens of her loved ones than her own perspective... Still wish Duggan was able to juggle the team better, tho.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 03-02-2022 at 10:08 AM.

I have to say, I loved this issue. Seeing Ororo, with whom Duggan did a wonderful job, Gambit, and Destiny was a pleasant surprise. Also, the Rogue and Sunfire moments were much welcomed! Finally, the developments regarding Dr. Stasis, Orchis in general, and now MODOK are fascinating!
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Definitely sets up Sunfire possibly leaving the team to perhaps join the Knights of X team or possibly have a solo mission into Otherworld to save/rescue Redroot
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Extraordinary Member

The Destiny scenes were bad.

Everything else was alright. Too much set up but a lot of set up so it is a fair trade.

I do wish Sunfire and Bishop were given the chance to be the main parts of their scenes here. Storm was prominent enough with the Arakkii council and did not need to be holding Sunfire's hand. Also, it would have been better to see more of Bishop either being at the QC or even talking to someone about the vote and skip giving the QC more pointless panel time.

Hopefully the setup pays off, but I am slightly confused as to how they are supposed to go on a rescue mission that Knight of X seems to doing something similar and saying it should not be possible.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

This is such an odd book, I'm definitely a fan but it goes through ebbs and flows.

A few issues ago some readers were writing off the overall direction. Yet somehow Duggan has managed to keep interest, develop the narrative, and the book has picked up some very interesting threads that had been left by Hickman. Look forward to reading this and kinda impressed how, Duggan has navigated this book through like 2 separate eras while keeping it relevant.

This is not the Rogue/Destiny reunion I was hoping for. Underwhelming.

I'm not super familiar with Rogue and Destiny's history, but these felt a lot colder than I expected, particularly compared to the last time I saw them interact in Necrosha.

This issue managed to find a balance between action and plot. Duggan should write like this all the time.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

This was Good. I give it a 8/10.

I loved Storm taking full control over at the Great Ring. I loved her Interaction with Shiro, would love more of that.

I love Tarn getting Slapped.

I LOVED the Gambit and Destiny interaction especially at the End. Beautiful. I LOVED IT.
    Last edited by Cyclone_Ablaze; 03-02-2022 at 01:26 PM.

It felt like I was reading S.W.R.O.R.D.

Why is Brand with Orchis?

My favourite issue of the run so far.

Enjoyed the Gambit/Destiny scenes the most and nice to see MODOK playing to the larger plot rather than being a one-off villain.

Hope we get a proper flashback to a Mystique/ Destiny/ Rogue reunion. Still think it would have made more sense for that to have happened in Inferno.

All of the non-Larraz issues have looked stunning in this era (way above usual fill-in work you'd see in an ongoing). Maybe it's just Gracia's colours being so good?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    It felt like I was reading S.W.R.O.R.D.

Why is Brand with Orchis?
    Because she didn't want to deal with the mutans crap and her only go is protect sole as efficient as possible. What did you expect she was made for beast

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Because she didn't want to deal with the mutans crap and her only go is protect sole as efficient as possible. What did you expect she was made for beast
    Well Jokes on her and Orchis. Nimrod is going to kill them all once he see's no use for them.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Loved this issue. Many story surprises that I would not have guessed or expected from the prev-pages.
    Enjoyed the Rogue/Gambit/Destiny meeting.
    Loved the Storm/Great Ring meeting...LOL at Arakko knocking Tarn tfo for his insolence.
    And finally we have some headway to the resolution of RedRoot's capture.

Seems like Duggan is making plans for the restructuring of his X-Men later this year.
    (I've said it before and I'll say it again...hate the one-year (our time) status quo. As it seems that because of the sliding timescale it's only been a few months since Jean made her announcement at the HFG...which is way too short a period for my taste and expectation I want this team together for far longer than a couple of months)
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 03-02-2022 at 11:11 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Thanks for starting the thread!

A lot of things going on here, setting things up for later and I love it.

Storm holding court like a queen does and finally we hear about Redroot! Perhaps Shiro will be the last unannounced Knight of X. I'm happy he has a mission ahead of him.

Bishop doing stuff off-panel again which is a bummer so I hope we actually see him trying to convince the "nay"'s that they need to go full throttle on Orchis.

I loved the Rogue/Gambit/Destiny dynamic and the scene was really fun. Remy has a new arch nemesis and her name is Irene Adler.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!