Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    At least you predicted this thread wouldn't go well.

Just discuss it in the character threads where other interested folks will be happy to engage!
    Character threads don't tolerate even slightly negative opinions on the character so this is the only way to discuss these topics

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Well, might as well dive headfirst into this can of worms.

I'd say yes. She's a big character example, second only to Magneto, of her misdeeds being whitewashed. Its not that she ever really redeemed herself or made amends. The stuff she did wrong just sort of gets ignored. And even her most recent villain turn, as disliked as it is, has just been ignored instead of addressed. Magento at least had moments where he acknowledged he was wrong or did bad things, but I don't think that's ever happened with Emma. Though that actually makes things worse for Magneto because he keeps flip flopping and going back on himself, which has frankly made both him and the characters who forgave him look terrible.
    Look terrible compared to who? Stark and the rest of The Avengers-who went out of their way to round up kids and put them in detention centers?
    Last edited by rcaguy; 03-02-2022 at 11:27 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    She basically screwed over Nick Fury, She Hulk, Tony Stark and some others and the story and she is framing it as something she had to do cause they weren't requests but "orders" by Fisk during her time as the Hellfire Club's White Queen. So basically another instance of trying to pawn off her misdeeds onto someone else.

At this point it is getting a bit silly. And quite frankly it isn't necessary. She was evil in the past, went through something traumatic and changed for the better by choosing to be good and a hero. Why these writers constantly try to go back and slightly sanitize her past is beyond me.
    Can you think of a better bunch of people to screw over?

Nuance? Context? What's that?

Yes but she deserve it. She is the xmen Stark but sexier and smarter

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I'd say yes. She's a big character example, second only to Magneto, of her misdeeds being whitewashed. Its not that she ever really redeemed herself or made amends. The stuff she did wrong just sort of gets ignored. And even her most recent villain turn, as disliked as it is, has just been ignored instead of addressed.
    I remember few tears once in a comic but don’t remember which one… because “it’s lonely being a bad person and having no friends”… But no, Emma Frost keeps his armor and rarely shows the inside of her heart. You can just speculate and project your own vision of the character. Is she really sincere and does she play the good person… sometimes? Hard to tell…

I find the woman rather “cliché”: the “amoral femme fatale”…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Did something happen today in Devils Reign: X-Men that prompted this thread? I’m not buying that title so if that’s the case can someone please give me some spoilers on what happened. Emma’s past has already been changed to make it look like she wasn’t really a “bad guy” to start but more so due to circumstance. Personally I like Emma being a little amoral when needed so I hope they don’t put her too far on the side of Angels.
    Now Emma Frost is among many other characters who are “a little amoral”: Kitty Pryde, Charles Xavier… What does it mean when the X-men are not anymore the epitome of morality? Emma Frost cannot be criticized because of her “little amorality”…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

If they "whitewash" anything it should be that Inhuman murder debacle.

Just make it all an illusion. Problem solved.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Lol have you only just noticed this? Where have you been since the Uncanny 500 era lol?
    This right here!

Butter Rum was a Skrull deep cover agent. Emma was right.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    At least you predicted this thread wouldn't go well.

Just discuss it in the character threads where other interested folks will be happy to engage!
    Isn't it a forum prohibitum to speak ill of a character in their appreciation thread, even if the criticism is warranted? I vaguely recall seeing something to that effect somewhere.

As for Emma, she is who she has always been. I love seeing people reshape, contort and distort their own moral sensibilities to embrace her. No, that never reveals anything about the people that support her. Never.

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Look terrible compared to who? Stark and the rest of The Avengers-who went out of their way to round up kids and put them in detention centers?
    Stark and the Avengers who allowed an alien being to take Carol Danvers hostage and rape her and force her to have a baby against her will. I love how Claremont really roasted this story in the X-Men, he made it clear that he thought the whole Marcus storyline was awful and meant that the Avengers were complicit in the rape and abuse of Carol Danvers by Marcus.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Butter Rum was a Skrull deep cover agent. Emma was right.
    I think Butter Rum was a Dire Wraith and Emma actually saved Angelica.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Now Emma Frost is among many other characters who are “a little amoral”: Kitty Pryde, Charles Xavier… What does it mean when the X-men are not anymore the epitome of morality? Emma Frost cannot be criticized because of her “little amorality”…
    Girl what? Lol being “a little amoral” hasn't stopped people from criticizing Xavier or Kate at all and it's certainly not going to stop people from criticizing Emma who's audacity to commit a good act during her villian period was enough to spark a separate thread.

I was under the impression that what made Emma's 2000's redemption arc so good and her so interesting was that she was a monster, something she was well aware of, but a monster who was on the side of the X-Men and genuinely cared about the people under her charge? Doesn't saying "actually she was good all along" sort of ruin that? Like in the movie Solo, saying Han Solo was a good guy all along sort of ruins the tension in A New Hope over whether he'll go back or not?