Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Thanks for that.
    Long Halloween is a pretty solid read, and the art is fantastic so I'd totally suggest it though.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Long Halloween is a pretty solid read, and the art is fantastic so I'd totally suggest it though.
    One of those things I've been meaning to read for some time.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    One of those things I've been meaning to read for some time.
    You should add Darwyn Cooke s Ego and Catwoman and the 3 Earth One Graphic Novels by Geoff Johns.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    That opening monologue- was anyone else thinking Watchmen? "October 31st. A comedian died tonight..."
    I found it funny that Colin Ferrell in that makeup kinda looked like De Niro, and John Turturro was reminding me of Pacino.
    To what MikeP said, I don't think this Batman was investigating any corruption. I think he spent 2 years fighting lowlife thugs and building his reputation. Maybe he knew there was corruption, but I don't get the impression he ever looked into it.
    - Yes, I immediately thought of Rorschach. Took me out of it a little, but kinda set the mood that this Batman is a little unhinged.
    - Funny, at first, especially from the still shots that were initially released of Penguin in the rain, he looked just like Powers Boothe to me.
    - I saw an interview with Pattinson where he said he only fought street-level criminals because he was stuck reliving his parents' murder - essentially trying to rewrite history, so that made him myopic and essentially oblivious to larger elements of crime or the root of crime. So this movie shows another aspect of his evolution - when he can leave behind personal vengeance as a vigilante, re-establish human connections, he can focus on larger injustices to be a hero. (as we saw, he went from being the shadow, to a beacon leading people out of the shadows)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 04-22-2022 at 05:18 AM.

Yah I think the narration sequence through where he defeats the thugs is right up there with the best we've seen of Batman on screen. Matt Reeves, man.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Some random Batman thoughts...
    -Pattinson was wonderful as Batman, much much better than I expected. SOmehow, however, he was worthless as Bruce Wayne. Nevertheless, I would rather take it this way around.
    -Riddler was good, but whole thing dragged on too long, and seemed to lack a point. Falcone didn't really work as a major villain.
    -Catwoman didn't do much for me. She had no chemistry with Batman, the writing tried too hard to make her a sympathetic figure and she was exposed too much.
    -As fantastic as the first half was, the ending dragged it down a lot, and almost got into Dark Knight Rises-territory of contrivance and overcomplication.

Still, a valiant effort and felt fresh in many ways.

The Corridor Crew put Adam West Batman in a “serious for real movie for real adults”:

Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 04-24-2022 at 09:31 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I thought this was pretty good, but didn't love it.

Cast was very good for the most part (the Riddler got kind of hammy at the end though), and I liked the overall message that Bruce needs to get over himself and inspire/help people to be a more effective hero. Selina was also very easy to root for (she's weirdly the most morally upstanding character in the film). But the film kind of felt it's length and the Riddler as a Seven style killer just doesn't do it for me. Penguin was better but is still a mob thug. I prefer him with a bunch of pet exotic attack birds and umbrella guns/flamethrowers/mini personal helicopters.

That's more my hang up than an objective fault on the film though. I'm just kind of over the "realistic, grounded" Batman stuff, so this probably was never going to be for me period. It's still a well made blockbuster film and stands out among CBMs in general, even if it's not completely treading new ground for Batman specifically.

Retired

Reflecting on THE BATMAN, I start to realize how much I loathe the current iteration of the character in the comics.

When I watch a movie, I always try to set aside my own desires and judge it by what the filmmaker set out to do and how well they accomplished their own goals. And with super-hero movies this stops me from hating them, since almost none of them are the kind of movie I would want for the characters.

When I watched THE BATMAN, I could enjoy it on that level--seeing how well Matt Reeves accomplished his objective. But the more I think about the movie as an expression of what Batman is in the modern day, the more it bugs me--mainly because it leans into all that material from the current comics.

I don't hold this against the director. He's just giving the people what they want. But it depresses me that this is what the people want from Batman.

Other random thoughts:
    -- It's weird that Falcone didn't know Selina was his daughter until the end when she said who her mother was. What was their relationship from his pov then? She was clearly special to him.
    -- How in the world were people not all over that building where Gordon had the bat signal? Anyone can see where it came from, so you'd think the press or a ton of others would have just gone up there.
    -- It was out of place that Riddler's plan for killing Bruce was so simple compared to the other deaths. Plot contrivance stood out a bit there.
    -- Considering how much of this movie repeat scenes and themes from previous Batman movies, (and there are tons) it still felt fresh enough within this setting.

One big part of the theme that I find interesting in terms of culture is how this movie as well as "The Dark Knight Rises" reflects the modern resentment against the corrupt rich and 1%, whereas a lot of the previous movies in the past dealing with rampant urban crime placed the blame and source of fear at the feet of the street criminals - the kind of people Batman focused on at the beginning before he widened his worldview. (and yes, it was a racial thing then as it is now)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 04-24-2022 at 09:25 PM.

It's so weird that things that were just in theatres are streaming at home so soon in this day and age. I haven't rewatched it because it is a long movie, but I greatly enjoyed it the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Hopefully we would get a good Robin in the future. Can you make Robin work in a gritty setting? Nolan didn't even try in his grounded approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I don't really want to see a Robin in this version of Batman, but if they do it I hope they jump ahead another few years, maybe move in real time so we can dispense with the origin and just have Robin already established as Batman's sidekick, even if he were still fairly new at it.
    Robin can definitely work, but he probably needs to be at least 15. I want to see Robin, I think that would greatly make this Batman different than the Nolan one, but I don't want a repeat of Chris O'Donnell or even an MCU Bucky. Robin needs to be the youthful junior partner to Batman.

Unless they have him as Dick Grayson only in the second movie then do a HUGE time jump for the third movie where he's already Nightwing and they can refer to the 5 or so years he spent as Robin.

- I saw an interview with Pattinson where he said he only fought street-level criminals because he was stuck reliving his parents' murder - essentially trying to rewrite history, so that made him myopic and essentially oblivious to larger elements of crime or the root of crime. So this movie shows another aspect of his evolution - when he can leave behind personal vengeance as a vigilante, re-establish human connections, he can focus on larger injustices to be a hero. (as we saw, he went from being the shadow, to a beacon leading people out of the shadows)
    That makes a lot of sense.

Astonishing Member

Other random thoughts:
    -- It's weird that Falcone didn't know Selina was his daughter until the end when she said who her mother was. What was their relationship from his pov then? She was clearly special to him.
    She was a really hot bartender that didn't get in trouble if she didn't have to (and that was in secret). If anything I wonder about her full background growing up since she's clearly the most skilled hand to hand fighter Batman directly fights in this movie (Alfred hints at enough of a Bond past for himself for how much Bruce is trained).

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    She was a really hot bartender that didn't get in trouble if she didn't have to (and that was in secret). If anything I wonder about her full background growing up since she's clearly the most skilled hand to hand fighter Batman directly fights in this movie (Alfred hints at enough of a Bond past for himself for how much Bruce is trained).
    And yet, he had to rescue her twice against people who weren't particularly skilled fighters. He also clearly wasn't looking to beat on her the way he was with others.

Astonishing Member

And yet, he had to rescue her twice against people who weren't particularly skilled fighters. He also clearly wasn't looking to beat on her the way he was with others.
    She was ambushed in the dark by Falcone after she had dealt with at least one of his goons, and that was going in there as naked as possible. I thought her knocking out a couple goons with some whip stealth was one of the most comic booky scenes in this movie, during one of the most Batty scenes (entering the Batmobile). Batman at least always had a suit on and his grit to parry free hits he seemingly didn't mind random bar bouncers landing on him when just wanting to ask Penguin a couple questions.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    It's so weird that things that were just in theatres are streaming at home so soon in this day and age. I haven't rewatched it because it is a long movie, but I greatly enjoyed it the first time.

Robin can definitely work, but he probably needs to be at least 15. I want to see Robin, I think that would greatly make this Batman different than the Nolan one, but I don't want a repeat of Chris O'Donnell or even an MCU Bucky. Robin needs to be the youthful junior partner to Batman.

Unless they have him as Dick Grayson only in the second movie then do a HUGE time jump for the third movie where he's already Nightwing and they can refer to the 5 or so years he spent as Robin.

That makes a lot of sense.
    I would love to see Robin in this universe. Really I want to see if Reeves can pull it off in his “real world” setting. That would be a big achievement and a great way to separate this series from Nolan’s.

This Batman clearly needs backup, so it would make sense for him to have a sidekick.