Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Cutting the scene made sense to me because I don't think it added anything, but it did make me excited for the possibilities. I liked the direction of the character.

Cutting the scene was definitely the right choice, it was well acted but it didn't add any weight to the story other than it being the Joker.

Also the arguments on the previous pages about the mayor's age/name and white criminals were truly hilarious. I haven't laughed that hard in a while.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    the previous pages about the mayor's age/name and white criminals were truly hilarious. I haven't laughed that hard in a while.
    I couldn't bring myself to read any of the comments related to that discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    I think both Gordon and Real(ugh I cringe every time I post that) are underdeveloped. But here we are with you making the thesis statement that Selina isn't exceptional...I mean I guess she's not except for the whole being a super hero thing.
    And this movie has two exceptional white guys. Three if you count the Joker.

Either way this is a ridiculous thing to complain about.

Perry White is 100% the authority figure...he's the one who sets the superman plot in motion, he's the one with the most exposition lines.
    Are you confusing Perry White with Jor-El?

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    I couldn't bring myself to read any of the comments related to that discussion.
    IMHO, you were missing nothing.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I finally saw the Batman tonight. It was long but I liked it. It felt halfway between a lost Nolan film and its own thing. I was fine with Pattinson's Bruce. He felt like a Bruce that was the mask. It felt like it did a good job balancing the villians but it was still Riddler's film.

I'd be up for a sequel and I'm 50/50% interested if the Joker pops up.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-27-2022 at 06:44 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    And this movie has two exceptional white guys. Three if you count the Joker.

Either way this is a ridiculous thing to complain about.

Are you confusing Perry White with Jor-El?
    They aren't the only white characters in the story. The fundamental problem with Batman is it's a story about corruption in a diverse city but then when you remove all the flawed, poor and victimized people of color. It's like saying racism isn't real look at Oprah, Obama, and Lebron James.

Jor-El sets the concept of the comic, but the adventures are set by Perry White...it's his only job.

He tells us who the bad guy is, he either sends Clark or Lois on the mission, Clark than stops the badguy or saves Lois. It's been his job for 90 years.

Went and saw it a second time last night, with two people seeing it for their first time. It was even better. So rare in a movie, for me.

I do wish it were shorter in length, but there is so much content packed into the movie that it all pretty much serves a purpose.

Plus I and the people with me kinda hope (real longshot) that the little boy Bruce rescues a couple of times, the son of the former mayor, ends up becoming Robin.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I finally saw the The Batman and I actually really liked it.

I'm not super into Batman (I always liked his cast/his universe, but not always Batman himself), but this movie actually got me into the character. I rolled my eyes hard though when they shoehorned Joker in the final act...this movie didn't need sequel bait.

And I like the car chase, but it made me wonder how much it was worth all that trouble to get Cobblepot when it amounted to him revealing they mistranslated part of the riddle... Like, people definitely died in that car crash and Cobblepot didn't even get arrested? It's a nitpick but it just really stuck out to me how unimpactful the car chase was to the overall story.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I finally saw the Batman tonight. It was long but I liked it. It felt halfway between a lost Nolan film and its own thing. I was fine with Pattinson's Bruce. He felt like a Bruce that was the mask. It felt like it did a good job balancing the villians but it was still Riddler's film.

I'd be up for a sequel and I'm 50/50% interested if the Joker pops up.
    How?

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    They aren't the only white characters in the story. The fundamental problem with Batman is it's a story about corruption in a diverse city but then when you remove all the flawed, poor and victimized people of color. It's like saying racism isn't real look at Oprah, Obama, and Lebron James.

Jor-El sets the concept of the comic, but the adventures are set by Perry White...it's his only job.

He tells us who the bad guy is, he either sends Clark or Lois on the mission, Clark than stops the badguy or saves Lois. It's been his job for 90 years.
    80 lengthened to at least 10 characters.

He was a Bruce that put more effort into being Batman. He was more disconnected and reclusive than Bruce traditionally is.

He was a Bruce that put more effort into being Batman. He was more disconnected and reclusive than Bruce traditionally is.
    Than he did into being Bruce Wayne, ya mean?

Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
    Than he did into being Bruce Wayne, ya mean?
    Essentially.

Essentially.
    But how did his Bruce Wayne feel like a mask to you?

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I've gotta say something about The Batman's box office.

All things considered, this is a massive win. It's at $710 million worldwide after this weekend. This is during China shutting down about 50% of its theaters and both Russia and Ukraine being pulled out of the mix (I think I read somewhere that would have been around another $15-$20 million total had Russia and Ukraine been in the mix). China is pulling in less than half of what it likely otherwise would have as well. If we factor those in, this movie lost anywhere from another $50-$90 million in those three markets aforementioned. And speaking of leaving some money on the table, this movie is coming to HBO Max in the U.S. in a couple of weeks. While that may not have as much sway as we think, I'd take a guess that WB is effectively leaving a potential million or two out there by letting this movie go to Max where it may not drive as many new subscriptions as they're hoping. I guess we'll see about that later on?

Some other important things to keep in mind is that this is a reboot and it's coming off of some lackluster DC titles that left some sour tastes towards Batman (BvS, JL). So, $710 million and counting? Batman Begins did $350 million worldwide during its run and was the start of a trilogy. If we take this new run and compare it to other solo outings or reboots, without looking I'm going to guess it's top 5 all time already.

And this is against a production budget of $185 million (I'm not including estimated marketing budget).

I'm going to assume this movie finishes anywhere between $750-$770 million worldwide. That's really great, all things considered.