Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default The Batman (*SPOILERS*)

So, this came out here in Australia last night (2nd of March). I've seen it and decided to start a thread to talk about it. I will keep my posts spoiler tagged until it opens elsewhere

This film definitely has many layers to it. In fact, I'm still digesting aspects of it from story to performances to direction. This film, unlike all other Batman films before it, truly makes you think. It certainly is the most cerebral with a complex narrative befitting it's Riddle loving villain.

So, some points

spoilers:

▪ Yay! A Batman film that finally breaks from having to rehash his origin. It's two years into his mission and pretty much jumps straight into it. The Wayne's murder is a plot point, but we don't see no movie theatre, alley, pearls or a crying Bruce kneeling over his dead parents.

▪ Just like in TDK. When that signal goes on, criminals in Gotham run.

▪ This film plays up the detective aspect of Batman. Heavily so. People have compared it to Se7en and Zodiac. Which is very much on point. Just with a guy dressed as a Bat in it.

▪ In past adaptations we are TOLD how corrupt Gotham is. But this film actually shows it. Every facet of the city is tainted by greed, corruption and apathy. The elites and officials have failed the society within the city.

▪Gordon seems to be the one person in Gotham who ISN'T hiding something. The only honest person.

▪ Selina is Falcone's daughter. In fact, her story and Bruce's is a parallel. So much so this is just as much her story as his. This film should have been The Batman & Catwoman.

▪ Thomas Wayne ran for Mayor. But an expose on Martha threatened the joint families of The Wayne's (Thomas) and The Arkhams (Martha). Thomas tried to buy the reporter off and hush him up (his last name was Elliot). So he turned to Falcone to scare him off. This gave Falcone leverage over Thomas. Who threatens to go to the police. A week later he and Martha are killed off.

▪ Except, Falcone says it was Maroni who ordered the hit. Fearful of Wayne being in Falcones pocket.

▪ Ultimate we get no confirmation either way and Alfred muses it could even have been a nameless mugger who was desperate and got careless. Yes, the Wayne's murder remains unsolved in this.

▪ Thomas set up a billion dollar scheme to "renew" Gotham and help the disadvantaged. When they died this scheme had no overseer and was picked clean by criminals and corrupt officials for their own ends (the state of Gotham is due to this)

▪ The Riddler was an orphan and he feels let down by the rich and powerful of society. So he exposes the corruption by killing key people who were involved in jailing Maroni as they were all corrupt.

▪ Riddler blows the water retaining walls and floods Gotham. This is where the film is left off. With Batman realising vengeance won't save his city. It's as angry and broken as he is. For it to heal, he needs to be more. A symbol of hope.

▪ Penguin looks to seize control of Gotham in the wake of Falcone being killed by The Riddler. Riddler is in Arkham conversing with another locked up inmate played Barry Keoghan who is obviously The Joker. Meanwhile Selina leaves Gotham after realising Batman is needed in Gotham.

▪ Pattinson was great as Batman. His Bruce was underdeveloped because he has minimal screen time. Likewise Alfred.

end of spoilers
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 03-02-2022 at 10:36 PM.

Having seen it, its good to have Batman back in theaters as a main character, not in a WB has no confidence in Superman or Flash so put him in way. As someone who grew up with the Nolan trilogy, its interesting how this trying to sort of outdo that in realism. As much as i still appreciate those movies, those fight scenes were kinda crappy with all that shakey cam and Ras al Ghul rolling around on train seats. Here while its not the warehouse scene from BvS, the action in this movie definitely sells why criminals fear Batman. Another comparison is just how much of screentime batman gets compared to bruce wayne. The TDKT had a lot of bruce just being bruce besides maybe in TDK, which was more of a Joker movie. Lets face it, we payed to see Batman not Bruce. And here it delivers because all 3 hours like 90-95 percent of it, he's in the mask not being Bruce. I appreciated that. Although "Bruce Wayne" still serves a role in the narrative. This being yet another reboot, I kinda feel the same as when I saw homecoming. Its a good movie, hitting the restart button too many times, and you kinda wish they'd be able to stick to one version. But like Tom Holland's SM, I think of the sequels are also good, this has a good chance of Patterson being one of my favorite adaptations of the character.
    some spoilers
    - Oz wobbling around like a actual penguin when tied up was the best scene easilly
    - Continues the trend of Thomas Wayne not living up to the pedestal Bruce put him on. Joker, Telltale, Tom King run, this is a notable trend. Also Martha Wayne not being all there in the head, not just flashpoint but i think there were some hints of that in the main universe, also the earth one arkham family connection. Seen that a few times in different comics. Can't say its surprising Bruce has a family history of mental illness.
    - i was on board with this version of Riddler until that scene in Arkham with him and Two-Face. Completely lost me there, one minute he's a menacing serial killer, now he's the same hammy guy from Batman Forever. Can we not follow up on that cliffhanger? I can already tell I won't like that duo.
    - didn't they say Penguin would only have a few scenes? He has a pretty solid role here.
    -I hope the sequels do more with Gordon, he's kinda just around here.
    - they really pushed on that flying rat riddle didn't they?
    - they're going to adapt no man's land again.

Still fresh but I'd give it a solid 4/5. Doesn't break any new ground but a good return to form.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Having seen it, its good to have Batman back in theaters as a main character, not in a WB has no confidence in Superman or Flash so put him in way. As someone who grew up with the Nolan trilogy, its interesting how this trying to sort of outdo that in realism. As much as i still appreciate those movies, those fight scenes were kinda crappy with all that shakey cam and Ras al Ghul rolling around on train seats. Here while its not the warehouse scene from BvS, the action in this movie definitely sells why criminals fear Batman. Another comparison is just how much of screentime batman gets compared to bruce wayne. The TDKT had a lot of bruce just being bruce besides maybe in TDK, which was more of a Joker movie. Lets face it, we payed to see Batman not Bruce. And here it delivers because all 3 hours like 90-95 percent of it, he's in the mask not being Bruce. I appreciated that. Although "Bruce Wayne" still serves a role in the narrative. This being yet another reboot, I kinda feel the same as when I saw homecoming. Its a good movie, hitting the restart button too many times, and you kinda wish they'd be able to stick to one version. But like Tom Holland's SM, I think of the sequels are also good, this has a good chance of Patterson being one of my favorite adaptations of the character.
    some spoilers
    - Oz wobbling around like a actual penguin when tied up was the best scene easilly
    - Continues the trend of Thomas Wayne not living up to the pedestal Bruce put him on. Joker, Telltale, Tom King run, this is a notable trend. Also Martha Wayne not being all there in the head, not just flashpoint but i think there were some hints of that in the main universe, also the earth one arkham family connection. Seen that a few times in different comics. Can't say its surprising Bruce has a family history of mental illness.
    - i was on board with this version of Riddler until that scene in Arkham with him and Two-Face. Completely lost me there, one minute he's a menacing serial killer, now he's the same hammy guy from Batman Forever. Can we not follow up on that cliffhanger? I can already tell I won't like that duo.
    - didn't they say Penguin would only have a few scenes? He has a pretty solid role here.
    -I hope the sequels do more with Gordon, he's kinda just around here.
    - they really pushed on that flying rat riddle didn't they?
    - they're going to adapt no man's land again.

Still fresh but I'd give it a solid 4/5. Doesn't break any new ground but a good return to form.
    I don't think Keoghan is playing Two-face. Pretty sure they hinted that may be The Joker. Funny they said he was playing Stanley Merkel, yet he is credited as "unnamed Arkham inmate". The laugh gives it away.
    Plus it seems Colson has been DA for awhile. Him being killed means the city needs a new DA. So Dent may factor into sequels.

It's more Zero Year than No Man's Land (with bits from it mixed in). Bruce will be needed just as much as Batman moving forward. Which is why I'm not worried over Pattinsons lack of screen time in the role. Bruce in this is emotionally closed off, but Selina and Alfred begin to open him up. He goes from wanting his mission to be one of vengeance to one of hope by the end.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 03-02-2022 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I don't think Keoghan is playing Two-face. Pretty sure they hinted that may be The Joker. Funny they said he was playing Stanley Merkel, yet he is credited as "unnamed Arkham inmate". The laugh gives it away.
    Plus it seems Colson has been DA for awhile. Him being killed means the city needs a new DA. So Dent may factor into sequels.

It's more Zero Year than No Man's Land (with bits from it mixed in). Bruce will be needed just as much as Batman moving forward. Which is why I'm not worried over Pattinsons lack of screen time in the role. Bruce in this is emotionally closed off, but Selina and Alfred begin to open him up. He goes from wanting his mission to be one of vengeance to one of hope by the end.
    maybe, i could have swore we got a glimpse where he looked like he had those exposed burned off teeth on the left side of his face. But i may have been wrong. We did get a glimpse of him right? maybe my mind was playing tricks on me.

Astonishing Member

maybe, i could have swore we got a glimpse where he looked like he had those exposed burned off teeth on the left side of his face. But i may have been wrong. We did get a glimpse of him right? maybe my mind was playing tricks on me.
    We got a partial glimpse. But it was concealed well by the lighting/reflection off the glass so we didn't see his face. But the hair and the laugh was enough to hint that's the Joker. I just don't know if it's pre his swim in the chemical vats or after (Pretty sure it's before). I mean, we have that gang dressed up as jokers.

If we do get Joker in the sequel, I wonder if it will go full on with the realism like TDK and have his face painted or not.

This seems like what would happen if you mixed Earth One, Long Halloween, and Telltale all in a blender to make one Batman movie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This seems like what would happen if you mixed Earth One, Long Halloween, and Telltale all in a blender to make one Batman movie.
    Pretty much lol. But it works.

Did Batman kill anyone in this film? Seen Pattinson talk about why Batman doesn’t kill but then I’ve seen non spoiler reviews where they say he killed atleast 4 people. So curious if he killed or if he just messed some people up so bad that they should be dead.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Did Batman kill anyone in this film? Seen Pattinson talk about why Batman doesn’t kill but then I’ve seen non spoiler reviews where they say he killed atleast 4 people. So curious if he killed or if he just messed some people up so bad that they should be dead.
    None that is shown. I mean, given the height thugs may have fallen when Batman kicked or punched them a few may have sustained severe injuries. There is one thug who he throttles twice and the second time Gordon has to pull him off otherwise he really would have killed him.

No he's pretty adamant about no killing, so I'm not sure what those reviewers are on about. He's definitely one of the more intense Batmans we've seen when it comes to dishing out punishment, but keeping with the tone of realism this movie's going for, he really has to be.

I was kinda concerned about those civilian truck drivers blowing up in that car chase scene with penguin (guess Francis Ford Coppola won't like this film) but nothing that unambiguously points to Batman killing someone unlike every batman besides Clooney.

I was kinda concerned about those civilian truck drivers blowing up in that car chase scene with penguin (guess Francis Ford Coppola won't like this film) but nothing that unambiguously points to Batman killing someone unlike every batman besides Clooney.
    That whole truck crash fiasco was on the Penguin though, but maybe Batman could have been better with taking his car out earlier before all that collateral damage. TBF he is in his second year and may be inexperienced in car chases, especially in those conditions. I think that's something to really remember, this Batman is really young, young enough to take punches in fights still, so there's a lot of growth to be had.

Astonishing Member

Not just the truck drivers either. Pretty sure a few of the drivers in those other cars may have ended up injured. Or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    No he's pretty adamant about no killing, so I'm not sure what those reviewers are on about. He's definitely one of the more intense Batmans we've seen when it comes to dishing out punishment, but keeping with the tone of realism this movie's going for, he really has to be.
    Ok thanks. If they are exploring the fact Bruce Wayne isn’t right in the head. The no kill rule can be used to great effect in telling that story.

So people keep saying this is even more grounded in the real world then Nolans trilogy. So do you guys think that rules out characters with powers or mutations? Like Ras,Clayface,Killer Croc etc…

If so how for do you think this world could go? Only Gangsters and serial killers. Or could Mr Freeze work in this world? Would Mad hatter be too fantastical? While he’s a grounded character, his type of hypnotism isn’t the least bit realistic.

Ok thanks. If they are exploring the fact Bruce Wayne isn’t right in the head. The no kill rule can be used to great effect in telling that story.

So people keep saying this is even more grounded in the real world then Nolans trilogy. So do you guys think that rules out characters with powers or mutations? Like Ras,Clayface,Killer Croc etc…

If so how for do you think this world could go? Only Gangsters and serial killers. Or could Mr Freeze work in this world? Would Mad hatter be too fantastical? While he’s a grounded character, his type of hypnotism isn’t the least bit realistic.
    That's really intriguing question, and the answer is I don't know. It really depends on what Reeves has planned, like it's very obvious that this is a grounded world but we haven't seen every aspect of it so maybe there is room for those kind of characters and those kind of elements, similar to how the Arrow tv show started off as grounded and real, closest thing we had to a batman show in decades, but expanded into a whole universe. I read Pattinson's comments a while back on how he couldn't see someone like Superman existing in this world unless he didn't have any powers, so they could just go for based in reality and keep those things out of it, but it would be a shame. People with powers/abilities have existed in Batman's world for decades, shying away from them or toning them down would just be us getting watered down versions. Again it's on Reeves since it's his world.