5. The Joker
    6. The Batman
    7. Dark Knight Rises
    8. Batman (1966)
    9. Batman Forever
    10. Batman and Robin
    11. Justice League
    12. Dawn of Justice

I thought The Batman was a decent film, it had a bit of a political problem in the sense that all the villains/victims are the same race and gender which undercuts the tension in the film. If you are trying to do a mystery it's not a great idea to completely tip off your audience. I hated the Mayor, she felt like a Parks and Rec joke in the middle of a serious noir. Farrell, Kravitiz, and Dano were fantastic and most of the action scenes where well shot/edited well. I didn't get a good enough grip of Patinson as Batman or Bruce Wayne which for a three hour film feels like a big miss. I think if they shot a "darker" final act where Batman doesn't save the day the film would have resonated more to me. I would give the film a B-

I thought the ending let it down. Batman was always two steps behind the Riddler, so that meant that his final plan has to be something that Batman could quite easily drive back from the asylum and sort out by himself. And that made it quite mundane, even though I liked the progression of Batman having to turn from a symbol of fear into a symbol of hope, which redeemed it somewhat. I would like to have seen Bruce get the jump on Riddler at least a little bit rather than being stuck following his breadcrumbs, as it really put the Riddler’s dumb endgame of shooting at people in a stadium into a poor contrast with his superhuman competence everywhere else.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 03-13-2022 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    So long story short people aren't allowed to think this movie was better than the Burton and Nolan movies because you don't think it was? And the whole point of there being little difference between Bruce and Batman is to show him gradually learning he can do things as Bruce he can't as Batman. He clearly becomes more hopeful and warm by the end of the movie.

And did I see a different movie than everyone else? All this talk of super uber darkness and the movie was dark yeah but I went in expecting Schindler's List with the way people were carrying on. Batman had a great buddy cop relationship with Gordon and they had great banter. At this point if Batman isn't acting like the West or Shumacher versions he's too dark apparently.
    People are allowed to think whatever THEY want. I said what I think. I don't recall telling anyone what they should think about this movie. You seem defensive for some reason.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Speaking of Joker, I did not like the tease at all in this film, For me that was one of the most unnecessary parts of the film and I felt maybe as good and as promising this film was and still is, the tease just felt gimmicking. I know you prefer this movie to batman begins and I respect that but the joker tease in batman begins begins was stronger.

Batman Begins kept things sharp, straight to the point that it flows well inside the film itself . The tease in The Batman felt very random , it almost took you out of the movie, you can remove the joker tease in the batman and nothing will change. heck it may even be better as it will cut the time down more and not have the plot shift away from riddler. However what makes the ''tease'' in batman begins so darm good is that it was not even a tease, it was a clear part to what was coming.

So kudos to Chris Nolan as a screen writer. he gets it. he just gets it.
    Yea I will agree that the joker tease at the end of Batman Begins was better than the tease in The Batman. I am not really sold on The Batman's version of the Joker yet as I feel like Riddler in this movie's universe already kinda stole some of his thunder. Though to be fair both Riddler and Joker are similar characters in my eyes with Joker just being more insane and just being pure chaos.

The tease at the end of Begins bugs me a lot because it has no follow up or payoff. In TDK, both Batman and Gordon act like its the first time they've ever heard of the Joker before.

Maybe in Batman lingo, "I'll look into it" means he will do nothing until whoever it is robs a bank and starts kidnapping people.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The tease at the end of Begins bugs me a lot because it has no follow up or payoff. In TDK, both Batman and Gordon act like its the first time they've ever heard of the Joker before.

Maybe in Batman lingo, "I'll look into it" means he will do nothing until whoever it is robs a bank and starts kidnapping people.
    He’s going to put his top batmen on it.

I'd give a year off my life for this to happen lol

https://screenrant.com/the-batman-mo...-egghead-role/

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    1. The Dark Knight
    2. Batman (1989)
    3. Batman Returns
    4. Batman Begins
    5. The Joker
    6. The Batman
    7. Dark Knight Rises
    8. Batman (1966)
    9. Batman Forever
    10. Batman and Robin
    11. Justice League
    12. Dawn of Justice
    Why do you have Justice League and joker on their?
    Batman is in both movies but they are not batman movies that would be like rainking endgame as a spiderman movie.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Why do you have Justice League and joker on their?
    Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Batman is in both movies
    Batman is a major part of Justice League/Dawn of Justice...arguably he's the lead in both films. The Joker to me plays like a prequel to Batman, and actually one of my biggest issues with The Batman is that it borrowed quite a bit from The Joker and did so poorly.

Astonishing Member

I remember when Joker came out people outside the theater wondered about it being a prequel to The Batman. I know now it would have been impossible due to development timeframe differences, so I don't blame the Reeves end product focusing on the Penguin/No Man's Land parts instead. Which are as good a chance to add a Joker as anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    I remember when Joker came out people outside the theater wondered about it being a prequel to The Batman. I know now it would have been impossible due to development timeframe differences, so I don't blame the Reeves end product focusing on the Penguin/No Man's Land parts instead. Which are as good a chance to add a Joker as anything else.
    I knew 2019's Joker couldn't be connected to Matt Reeves Batman because the two take place in different time periods. Joker is set 1981 and Arthur is 45 years old already during the course of that movie. The Batman is set is current day 2021-2022 or maybe even 2023. Joker from the 2019 movie would be like 65 or so if he existed in Matt Reeves The Batman universe. Doubt it would be much of a threat at that age for Robert Pattinson's Batman.
    Last edited by Iron_Legion87; 03-15-2022 at 05:48 AM.

Incredible Member

I saw it last night and while I dig the look of the film and the more dynamic fighting sequences (compared to Nolan's films), I think ultimately the bad outweighs the good.

The good:
    - the cast: Battinson, Wright, Farrell, Dano (except in the scene with Batman at Arkham), Kravitz and Turturro
    - the cinematography
    - Gotham
    - the Batmobile
    - the detective work (as in, that it was even there)

The bad:
    - not enough focus and screen time for the Riddler - some great films about serial crime also show you what the bad guy is up to in the meantime. And actually I thought that the scene between Batman and Riddler at Arkham could have been better. Riddler did not come off as menacing anymore and the big reveal of his plan also lacked punch because he wasn't present when Batman finally figured it out. That kind of lessened the impact.
    - the detective work (as in, could he really not have figured out the corruption in the city earlier?)
    - not enough Alfred. I thought that Serkis did well with what little he was given and of course he had some big shoes to fill like anyone following Michael Caine (Irons wasn't too bad either). But for me the relationship between Alfred and Bruce is an essential ingredient of nearly any good Batman story and I think some of the movie's runtime could have been spent better.
    - Catwoman's out of the blue hots for Batman, which felt more as if she wanted to try out something "dangerous" than actual attraction. I think TDKR did that better (although I liked Kravitz in the role and this is a minor gripe compared to my other criticisms)
    - apparently it is always night in Gotham

The worst:
    - the tacky Joker scene at the end. I really wished they had left that out.

All in all I like it more than the 90s movies (however the 1989 Batman was pretty good) but I have to say that there has never been a single Batman movie that I loved from beginning to end, with TDK and Batman Begins coming the closest. But even they have flaws.

Maybe I will rewatch it in the theater but I will definitely get this as a 4K release and then rewatch it and see how I feel about it then. Right now, I feel a bit let down.

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    1. The Dark Knight
    2. Batman (1989)
    3. Batman Returns
    4. Batman Begins
    5. The Joker
    6. The Batman
    7. Dark Knight Rises
    8. Batman (1966)
    9. Batman Forever
    10. Batman and Robin
    11. Justice League
    12. Dawn of Justice

I thought The Batman was a decent film, it had a bit of a political problem in the sense that all the villains/victims are the same race and gender which undercuts the tension in the film. If you are trying to do a mystery it's not a great idea to completely tip off your audience. I hated the Mayor, she felt like a Parks and Rec joke in the middle of a serious noir. Farrell, Kravitiz, and Dano were fantastic and most of the action scenes where well shot/edited well. I didn't get a good enough grip of Patinson as Batman or Bruce Wayne which for a three hour film feels like a big miss. I think if they shot a "darker" final act where Batman doesn't save the day the film would have resonated more to me. I would give the film a B-
    Why does the riddler being the same race and gender as the victims undercut the tension?

Also Batman didn’t save the day. Gotham was destroyed he saved a handful of people from frying. He accomplished almost nothing the whole movie. Doesn’t save any of the Riddlers targeted victims. Doesn’t catch Riddler, he just lets them catch him. Then didn’t stop Gotham from being wiped out by a flood. He saved a handful of people from being electrocuted to death after almost getting killed by A Random wack job with a gun. The big break in the whole case is secured by Catwomen. If Batman would have failed to save those people at the end then they should have just cut the film off after Falcone died. Now sounds like I’m shitting on the movie but I really really liked it. But Batman didn’t come out of looking all that competent. Having him fail at the end would have added nothing and undercut the character arc. Again if that’s the case just end that film after Falcone dies and they catch Riddler. Also don’t get how the Mayor was a park and Rec joke. I didn’t care for her either way, she was kinda jus there

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post

Actually in TDK when Gordon brings up the Joker Batman does acknowledge that they have spoken about him before. The scene in the bank. He says something like "him again".
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    Actually in TDK when Gordon brings up the Joker Batman does acknowledge that they have spoken about him before. The scene in the bank. He says something like "him again".
    Interesting. I missed that, then. Honestly, a lot of the stuff Bale says is hard to understand with that voice he puts on.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.