Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    You were bored by Batman Returns?
    Yes, Batman Returns had been my least favorite Batman movie until The Batman. It did bore me overall.

In Returns, I liked the Catwoman parts, but didn't care about the Penguin parts. A lot of us who saw the movie when it was first released felt the same way.

As for this movie, I don't get why some people are praising Zoe Kravitz as the best Catwoman ever. I felt the dynamic between Batman and Catwoman was more of an older brother constantly admonishing his bratty kid sister, and Kravitz's nondescript performance was a big reason why.

I get that the tone of this movie didn't lend itself to a more theatrical performance with cat-like mannerisms, and that she was specifically told not to be too cat-like, but I needed something more from her to make her character be memorable.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

I think this was my least favorite Batman movie ever. Joel Schumacher's movies were stupid, but I was never bored, and they looked fantastic.

I was all excited for this movie given that Matt Reeves was directing it as I thought his Planet of the Apes movies had energy to spare, but The Batman was just listless and dull.
    Wow, you thought it was worse than Batman & Robin? I’m not going to knock your opinion, but I’m quite astonished anyone would say this one was worse. I enjoyed the film to a fair degree, but I do think it is disjointed and the story/mystery doesn’t land as well as well as it could’ve have. For myself, I do think it’s beneath the first two Nolan films, but maybe better than Rises. I really hated the Joker in the end. That didn’t need to be there and I wish that was cut.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 03-06-2022 at 10:36 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    WB/DC/HBO Max should slow down with doing TV Shows for this movie. I don't think this is a good idea. They should consider it after a second sequel.

TV shows based off movies tend to never have steam and it does not help that the actual central characters would not be in the show. The Batman a very good foundation for greatness to come in sequel movies but for now I dont think the first film has done enough to establish multiple tv spin off that will bring high viewership and attention to HBO Max.

I fear multiple tv spin offs will suffer even worse fate than Agents of SHIELD and Agent of SHIELD had more to ride on as marvel already had many movies by then and even the big one (Avengers 2012) that was meant to be the driving force of the tv show but Agents of SHIELD became an afterthought and sunk into irrelevance by the time the second season rolled in.

WB should slow down and just focus on sequels films alone. that is where the energy should be, especially for Matt Reeves. Matt writing, directing and producing a sequel to this movie while also juggling the tv spin off would over stretch him. I want his focus to be on movies only.

if Batman were to have new TV Shows, I rather have another stand alone universe show like Fox Gotham.

Peacemaker says hello.

The problem with Agents of SHIELD was that it sold itself on being connected with the MCU, but Feige never wanted to be beholden to a tv show that maybe people who watched the movies would never see. So in the end, Agents had to react to the movies, but the movies never referenced the shows. Of course, now that Feige is in charge of both film and TV, we are now seeing that kind of connection.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    It does seem rather short sighted of Bruce to only focus on cleaning up the streets, rather than try and deal with the corruption that caused it. Maybe he feels he can’t? He sounds so disinterested in he world he was born into, it really does sound like Batman is primarily a channel for his rage issues. I don’t know if he’s even interested in saving Gotham at all.
    To me, it read that Bruce had spent two years being an agent of vengeance. He thought it would be enough to put the fear of god into criminals, so he patrolled around the city, looking for everyday thugs to beat up. It wasn't until the end of this movie that he realized to save Gotham, he needed to be something more.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Yes, Batman Returns had been my least favorite Batman movie until The Batman. It did bore me overall.

In Returns, I liked the Catwoman parts, but didn't care about the Penguin parts. A lot of us who saw the movie when it was first released felt the same way.

As for this movie, I don't get why some people are praising Zoe Kravitz as the best Catwoman ever. I felt the dynamic between Batman and Catwoman was more of an older brother constantly admonishing his bratty kid sister, and Kravitz's nondescript performance was a big reason why.

I get that the tone of this movie didn't lend itself to a more theatrical performance with cat-like mannerisms, and that she was specifically told not to be too cat-like, but I needed something more from her to make her character be memorable.
    Eh, more like kissing cousins

Personally, I feel that the relationship between Bruce and Selina in The Dark Knight Rises was the perfect interpretation of their relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Wow, you thought it was worse than Batman & Robin? I’m not going to knock your opinion, but I’m quite astonished anyone would say this one was worse. I enjoyed the film to a fair degree, but I do think it is disjointed and the story/mystery doesn’t land as well as well as it could’ve have. For myself, I do think it’s beneath the first two Nolan films, but maybe better than Rises. I really hated the Joker in the end. That didn’t need to be there and I wish that was cut.
    I'm sorry, but there is no Batman movie worse than Batman and Robin. From Uma Thurmans horrible May West interpretation of Poison Ivy, to whatever the hell they turned Bane into (Monkey Works!!! Ugh....), to what they did to Barbara, it was just terrible. I'll give it art direction- to a point- for some colorful visuals, and while his performance was atrocious, I LOVED the look of Arnold as Mr. Freeze. And I thought Clooney made for a good Bruce Wayne, but a horrible Batman. As opposed to Pattinson, who was a great Batman, but his Bruce Wayne wasn't even really there.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    To me, it read that Bruce had spent two years being an agent of vengeance. He thought it would be enough to put the fear of god into criminals, so he patrolled around the city, looking for everyday thugs to beat up. It wasn't until the end of this movie that he realized to save Gotham, he needed to be something more.
    That is definitely what they are going for. Which is fine, it just seems inconsistent with the thrust of this being a detective movie, and we are starting right off with a poor detective.

But character growth can fix that, and it would be nice if they acknowledged it with a couple lines in the sequel. Batman lamenting that he really dropped the ball in his first two years.

Still, I found it hilarious that Riddler called Batman out on not being as smart as he thought he was.
    Life is but a dream

Astonishing Member

I'm sorry, but there is no Batman movie worse than Batman and Robin. From Uma Thurmans horrible May West interpretation of Poison Ivy, to whatever the hell they turned Bane into (Monkey Works!!! Ugh....), to what they did to Barbara, it was just terrible. I'll give it art direction- to a point- for some colorful visuals, and while his performance was atrocious, I LOVED the look of Arnold as Mr. Freeze. And I thought Clooney made for a good Bruce Wayne, but a horrible Batman. As opposed to Pattinson, who was a great Batman, but his Bruce Wayne wasn't even really there.
    I thought his Bruce Wayne was terrific, they obviously eschewed the playboy elements and made him more of a detached, shut-in weirdo. Which frankly Batman would more likely be in real life as opposed to just him being a charming playboy. He played a unique version of Bruce where he’s become consumed by this vigilante persona that he’s become trapped inside mask. Having willing choose to lock himself in. The only to free himself away from this mental/emotional prison to realize his approach to vigilantism isn’t helping the city; only contributing to its rot. I think that’s a great fresh angle at the character
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 03-06-2022 at 10:59 AM.

- Charles Schultz.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I thought his Bruce Wayne was terrific, they obviously eschewed the playboy elements and made him more of a detached, shut-in weirdo. Which frankly Batman would more likely be in real life as opposed to just him being a charming playboy. He played a unique version of Bruce where he’s become consumed by this vigilante persona that he’s become trapped inside mask. Having willing choose to lock himself in. The only to free himself away from this mental/emotional prison to realize his approach to vigilantism isn’t helping the city; only contributing to its rot. I think that’s a great fresh angle at the character
    The issue with that is that I didn't feel like rooting for him much. He's kind of a dick to poor Alfred and doesn't seem to care about his family's legacy at all. I found it hard to square this angry man-child with someone with the moral clarity and authority to tell Catwoman not to kill criminals with massive influence on the system.

Saw The Batman last night.

Easily its biggest problem is its length and the very poor handling of Riddler. Riddler came to life at the end unmasked. But masked it felt cornie. And also why keep this guy behind a cellphone screen. Boring way to handle the character.

Overall I did enjoy The Batman and Colin as The Penguin and Robert as Batman are the strong points. Also Gordon was fantastic.
    8/10

Most favorite to least favorite Batman appearing films.

B89 and Returns my favorite
    ZSJL
    BvS
    The Batman
    The Dark Knight (only cause of Heath, disliked Bale)
    Batman Forever
    The Dark Knight Rises (Cause of Hardy)
    Batman Begins
    Batman & Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Easily its biggest problem is its length and the very poor handling of Riddler. Riddler came to life at the end unmasked. But masked it felt cornie. And also why keep this guy behind a cellphone screen. Boring way to handle the character.
    Yeah this frustrated me. I thought we'd see more of him unmasked.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    The issue with that is that I didn't feel like rooting for him much. He's kind of a dick to poor Alfred and doesn't seem to care about his family's legacy at all. I found it hard to square this angry man-child with someone with the moral clarity and authority to tell Catwoman not to kill criminals with massive influence on the system.
    That’s fair, for myself I was rooting for him as I felt pity for him - he’s a emotionally stunted person who really exemplifies the old saying that money doesn’t buy happiness. So I actually found this Bruce fairly easy to root for. Personally, I think he showed enough empathy and sensitivity in film like when he see’s that a little boy lost his father which once reminds him of his loss and he’s reliving the trauma of losing his father. Which is why I thought having Bruce save that kid at the funeral was a great touch; that showed his caring side and helped me get on board with connecting with this version.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 03-06-2022 at 08:28 PM.

- Charles Schultz.

That’s fair, for myself I was rooting for him as I felt pity for him, he’s a emotionally stunted person who really exemplifies the old saying that money doen’y buy happiness. I found this Bruce fairly easy to root for as I think he showed enough empathy and sensitivity like when he see’s that a little boy lost his father, and once again he’s reliving the trauma of losing his father. I thought Bruce saving that kid at the funeral was a great touch; that showed his caring side and help me get on board with connecting with this version.
    I did like that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I did like that moment.
    Agreed. I liked that as well.

I just want to see a more developed Bruce in the next movie. Nolan did that well; I think Reeves can as well.

Mighty Member

Loved the Joker cameo.

Peacemaker says hello.

The problem with Agents of SHIELD was that it sold itself on being connected with the MCU, but Feige never wanted to be beholden to a tv show that maybe people who watched the movies would never see. So in the end, Agents had to react to the movies, but the movies never referenced the shows. Of course, now that Feige is in charge of both film and TV, we are now seeing that kind of connection.

Eh, more like kissing cousins

Personally, I feel that the relationship between Bruce and Selina in The Dark Knight Rises was the perfect interpretation of their relationship.
    So basically every Batman movie

It is cool that the story dealt with his detective skills. It's funny that after all these years and movies they haven't had much focus on The Dark Knight Detective's actual DETECTIVE SKILLS.
    Last edited by Robotman; 03-06-2022 at 06:41 PM.