Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Aaron tries to teach lesson about colonizers finds out he was the colonizer

The fact that Jason Aaron of all people finds himself in this situation is very interesting to say the least.

https://screenrant.com/jason-aaron-p...marvel-comics/
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

tldr: He gave a character in King Conan the real name of Pocahontas. People complained, and it'll be changed in any reprintings and the trade.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ah, the generation of crystal, everything is offensive, everything is racist/sexist/whatever, everything makes them mad...

Extraordinary Member

I don't care to get into the how offended people have the right to be debate, but I am quite willing to say Aaron and his editor both should have just avoided ripping off that name and/or using her as a basis for his character.

What I find interesting about this is that Jason Aaron is caught up in this.

Jason Aaron.

Jason Aaron who never hesitates to wave his ally credentials around lol. The guy who wrote Avengers 20 The most META of META commentaries concerning She-Hulk.

Jason Aaron who had Jane Foster call herself Thor and had Titania turn herself in to show solidarity with a woman calling herself Thor.

Yet this dude sat down created this character and thought "yeah this is a good idea" Bwahaha. Was really crazy is that he used the name which means he wanted us to make the connection...which means he expected people to see this and think that this was clever and cool he was using Conan to make a statement about colonizers....and steel bikinis. Instead people saw it and was like "What the?!"

Was Aaron so tired from constantly being woke he just went to sleep?

Where were the editors?! They disappeared faster than Batman after he takes out goons in an abandoned warehouse.

All that work building up his cred...gone. If you read his Marvel work get ready for some big changes because he is going to need to build that cred back up and get his ally card back.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    The guy who wrote Avengers 20 The most META of META commentaries concerning She-Hulk.
    The same guy that a couple of issues later had her walking around naked in front of all the male avengers for a jacuzzi bath lmao (way to prove that Jennifer isn't a sex object).

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    The same guy that a couple of issues later had her walking around naked in front of all the male avengers for a jacuzzi bath lmao (way to prove that Jennifer isn't a sex object).
    I heard that the next Conan series is going to focus on him traveling to a dangerous valley filled with warring Amazons and Conan sides with a woman who calls herself Susan B Anthony...er...I mean Suzan Anthni.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    And she's still objectified by the villains (literal trolls).

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

There are limits to empathy. And there are often cracks in those who feign empathy. Given the two, no...no one should be surprised.

Everybody slips up sometime. Don't see how this is somehow something to gloat over.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Ah, the glorious 90's, when comics had almost-naked female characters and testoterone-poisoned male characters, and nobody gave a damn about that...

They did actually. They just didn't have social media to amplify and record everything they said.

Time, sensibilities and demographics change and characters often change with them.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Ah, the glorious 90's, when comics had almost-naked female characters and testoterone-poisoned male characters, and nobody gave a damn about that...
    That's not entirely true. The Comics Code Authority wouldn't even exist if there wasn't some orchestrated level of concern about the content of comics. Nor would we have a movie ratings system that grades movies according to content. And don't get me started on the Explicit Advisory labels slapped on albums back in the 1990s, even though artists have been using more objectionable lyrics dating back to the dawn of recorded music.

The only thing unique about the 1990s is that it occurred at the tail end of a sexual revolution that started decades prior. Middle America had finally started to thaw. But it doesn't mean that everyone was completely on board with what we saw in comics. Not even close.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    The same era that censored the cover to Static #25.

https://www.comicsbeat.com/dwayne-mc...raid-to-print/

Several months ago I heard a rumor, third-hand that our partner at DC Comics didn’t want to print the cover to Static #25.

I call up DC’s executive Vice President and Publisher, Paul Levitz. I tell him I’ve heard about the problems with the cover and offer to have the condoms painted out. No go. DC will not print that picture on the cover of Static #25. Paul conceded that it was, in fact, a lovely panting and entirely appropriate to the contents of the issue. Further, the thought it would be fine to run the cover on the inside of the book, perhaps as a splash page. However, he said, “DC Comics has a policy of not showing sex on the covers.”

Here’s the sad part, if I had commissioned a cover where Daisy was wearing a thong and kicking one leg high in the air so everybody could get a really good look at her crotch, or if she had her back to the camera and her spine arched at an improbable angle to accentuate her ass, or if her enormous breasts, miraculously immune to the effects of gravity were positioned so you couldn’t quite tell whether those shadows were nipples, there would be no problem. Problem? Heck, we’d probably have a “hot book” on our hands.

Don’t believe me? Let’s do an experiment. Take a look at the covers of the past twenty superhero comics you bought. At least five of them fit the above paradigm and none of them created the slightest bit of controversy. But Static #25 went too far. It shows a picture of teenagers. Kissing.

That's not entirely true.
    Actually it is to a point when you deal with selective rage.

Funny in the 90s it was okay to sexualize certain females and not others. Like the Static #25 cover.

In an interview, Dwayne recounted that as he was being informed about this policy, he saw the cover of an issue of Legionnaires “with the very attractive female team member, her ass pointing at the camera, she’s looking over her shoulder sort of come hither, and saying, ‘We’re back!'”.

In my scholarly pursuit of all things Dwayne McDuffie, I actually found the comic he was describing: Legionnaires #16 with a cover drawn by Adam Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    The fact that Jason Aaron of all people finds himself in this situation is very interesting to say the least.

https://screenrant.com/jason-aaron-p...marvel-comics/
    Not really...

Folks looking to make a mountain out of a molehill so they can grind some sort of "PC Done Turned On Him!!!!!!!!!..." ax.