Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I find it interesting that the article points out this isn't Jason Aaron's first brush with controversy regarding his depiction of indigenous (or Native American) people, seeing that his Vertigo book Scalped was criticized, according to the article, for things like its title and an "inaccurate"(?) depiction of life on a reservation. Is anybody familiar with that book able or willing to comment?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    I find it interesting that the article points out this isn't Jason Aaron's first brush with controversy regarding his depiction of indigenous (or Native American) people, seeing that his Vertigo book Scalped was criticized, according to the article, for things like its title and an "inaccurate"(?) depiction of life on a reservation. Is anybody familiar with that book able or willing to comment?
    I read the trade but didn't finish the run. It's pretty standard, "FBI guy goes under cover and gets in too deep" stuff ( at least what I read of it). Having said, that it got decent to good reviews when it was coming out. It's basically what put Aaron on the map.
    Last edited by ed2962; 03-04-2022 at 07:41 PM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    They did actually. They just didn't have social media to amplify and record everything they said.

Time, sensibilities and demographics change and characters often change with them.
    Exactly this. People like to pretend that there was a magical past where no one was ever offended by things in the media or entertainment and that's simply not true. Meanwhile, these days guys can make a living being fake mad about girls in their Stars Wars movies or gay Elmo or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Comment on what?

It's a person's point of view.

Did the book really go the whole nine yards on being a book about the downside of actual life on a reservation at the time?

Well, no.

That said, it was Deep Cover more than it was aiming to be a book that set out to paint a completely accurate picture of the drug trade.

Someone would not be wrong in pointing the latter out.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 03-04-2022 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Exactly this. People like to pretend that there was a magical past where no one was ever offended by things in the media or entertainment and that's simply not true. Meanwhile, these days guys can make a living being fake mad about girls in their Stars Wars movies or gay Elmo or something.
    While they ignore the fact that something like Vertigo happened for a reason...

Come to think of it...

I've spent a fair amount of time over the course of my life in Alabama.

I can absolutely say without any doubt that Southern Bastards is also not a particularly accurate picture of everyday life in Alabama.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While they ignore the fact that something like Vertigo happened for a reason...
    People don't talk about it much now, but back in the late 80's, right in the midst of the "Biff Bam Pow Comics have grown up" media craze, a number of comics shops got closed down for having inappropriate material in their stores. Most of the time, the owners would eventually beat the case because they weren't actually selling those titles to kids but many times they were hurt by bad publicity and lost revenue due to the stores being closed until their cases were resolved.

This caused some concern at Marvel and DC about whether or not the direct sales comics should be rated and DC proposed some stricter new guidelines. After resistance from some of their top talent like Frank Miller and Alan Moore, DC dropped the matter. Or at least they didn't pursue it in the manner they originally proposed.

Invincible Member

Come to think of it...

I've spent a fair amount of time over the course of my life in Alabama.

I can absolutely say without any doubt that Southern Bastards is also not a particularly accurate picture of everyday life in Alabama.
    What? It's not full of 60 yr old vets beating up small town criminals with old tree branches?

One other thing about that...

I do think that the point that the rare instance of a reservation story actually making it into a comic not really having a "Slice Of Life.." component is perfectly fair.

That said...

Without getting too far into spoilers for later in the series, there is Shunka as a specific Native American character in the entirety of fiction revolving around Native Americans.

How does one balance out against the other?

Not really...
    Yes really, when you take into account what some would describe as Aaron's performative allyship imho. Well at least I think it's performative. Your mileage may vary.

Folks looking to make a mountain out of a molehill so they can grind some sort of "PC Done Turned On Him!!!!!!!!!..." ax.
    I feel that the reactions that Aaron is getting is totally justified. People are right to be upset.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

See...

There is the obvious issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post

I feel that the reactions that Aaron is getting is totally justified. People are right to be upset.
    Those folks having a potentially legitimate grumble?

It's go right around "Zero..." to do with...

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Yes really, when you take into account what some would describe as Aaron's performative allyship imho. Well at least I think it's performative. Your mileage may vary.

Which is folks looking for a legitimate grumble to provide cover for their grumble which amounts to next to nothing.

Honestly Marvel should immediately take Jason Aaron off of the Avengers title.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

See...

There is the obvious issue.

Those folks having a potentially legitimate grumble?

It's go right around "Zero..." to do with...

Which is folks looking for a legitimate grumble to provide cover for their grumble which amounts to next to nothing.
    This is you right?

Folks looking to make a mountain out of a molehill so they can grind some sort of "PC Done Turned On Him!!!!!!!!!..." ax.
    Except I feel that the problems people had were legit and was not looking to grind some sort of (In your words) "PC Done Turned On Him!" Ax. So do you believe that everyone on this thread is just grumbling?[Just some folks grumbling? All of us?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

To point out the painfully obvious right off of the bat...

There's folks who have nothing to do with this thread that I believe are included in "On This Thread..." who actually have nothing to do with this thread.

I'm just going to set those folks aside entirely.

As for the folks who actually have taken swipes at Aaron/Woke/PC/That Sort Of Thing in this thread under the cover of folks who have not participated in this thread and might have some legitimate points?

Yeah...

That is "Penny Ante..." belly aching.

To point out the painfully obvious right off of the bat...

There's folks who have nothing to do with this thread that I believe are included in "On This Thread..." who actually have nothing to do with this thread.

I'm just going to set those folks aside entirely.

As for the folks who actually have taken swipes at Aaron/Woke/PC/That Sort Of Thing in this thread under the cover of folks who have not participated in this thread and might have some legitimate points?

Yeah...

That is "Penny Ante..." belly aching.
    Well bless your heart! Thanks for the response