Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    I remenber your reviews about Bens solo used to aggravate me. Partly because I hated that direction and Marvels doubling down on Slotts car crash. Part because you where so positive. In text that can be hard to relate to. In a meeting it’s easier to gauge and adjust your reaction and understanding of it.

I always relate better to someone who sees some good and some bad. Few works I really like enough that I can’t find obvious faults with them. And vice versa.

Door Z better be about more then just one creature. It seemed that opening it would unleash something beyond just an experiment. That it would be more of opening a gate to a dimension or some forbidden knowledge. Those types of situations. Marcus or no Marcus.
    Malachi, my friend, here's a more critical take -- a small one -- just for you:

I felt similarly regarding the reveal of what lay behind Door Z, as I too assumed it would be kind of weird dimensional rift or otherwordly something-or-other. The reveal being just Big Vampire Lizard Monster was a bit of a downer.

But! I am smitten by this big 'ole brute, and I'm hoping my guess that it's Marcus is correct because I think it makes for a potentially very cool new villain.

And! I forgot to mention in my original post: another reason I enjoy this Morbius-Lizard hybrid is because of the shared history the two characters have. Any Morbius fan will know, of course, that his first appearance included the Lizard as well! So that's neat.

In other news:

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    As a Clone Saga reader growing up, I think Ben had a pretty solid love harem
    Janine Godby
    Jessica Carradine
    Desiree Winthrop
    Betty Brant
    Gabrielle Greer
    Carrie Bradley

and Firestar!

-Pav, who will 'ship them forever...
    Last edited by Pav; 03-04-2022 at 06:19 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post

I felt similarly regarding the reveal of what lay behind Door Z, as I too assumed it would be kind of weird dimensional rift or otherwordly something-or-other. The reveal being just Big Vampire Lizard Monster was a bit of a downer.

But! I am smitten by this big 'ole brute, and I'm hoping my guess that it's Marcus is correct because I think it makes for a potentially very cool new villain.

And! I forgot to mention in my original post: another reason I enjoy this Morbius-Lizard hybrid is because of the shared history the two characters have. Any Morbius fan will know, of course, that his first appearance included the Lizard as well! So that's neat.

In other news:

Janine Godby
    Jessica Carradine
    Desiree Winthrop
    Betty Brant
    Gabrielle Greer
    Carrie Bradley

and Firestar!

I know the others (even poor Gabrielle Greer who disappeared after a couple issues), but who is “Carrie Bradley” and why do I just think of ‘Sex & the City’ when I hear that name?

Ben didn’t have any romantic interest in the PAD series, right? Another missed opportunity for character development. At least now Janine is back and for Ben, she is “the one.”

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Ben also had a fling with Betty Brant of all people. You’d think Betty would catch on to how similar he was to Peter up close like that.
    When was this?

In other news:

Janine Godby
    Jessica Carradine
    Desiree Winthrop
    Betty Brant
    Gabrielle Greer
    Carrie Bradley

and Firestar!

Haha. Well I was a bit worried that my post would come out to critical. Well critical it was, but about me and Marvel =)

Lizard for whatever reason never really worked for me. I remember being a bit scared of the cover of asm 313 when I was a kid. So that probably influences how I feel about this.

Maybe I should pickup the devil’s reign issue. If they are going somewhere with Marcus that is.

When I reread parts of the clone saga I got to like Jessica better. For some reason I didn’t like her on my first read. I am not sure but I think I found Betty and Ben fun. Desiree was my favorite after the swarm story. Carrie amd Gabrielle escapes me.

I know the others (even poor Gabrielle Greer who disappeared after a couple issues), but who is “Carrie Bradley” and why do I just think of ‘Sex & the City’ when I hear that name?

Ben didn’t have any romantic interest in the PAD series, right? Another missed opportunity for character development. At least now Janine is back and for Ben, she is “the one.”
    In PAD's run, there was a kiss shared between Ben and Cassandra Mercury -- but it was Kaine who got a girlfriend!

As for Carrie Bradley, she was a love interest in the original Scarlet Spider titles, but she dumped Ben when he was late for their date too many times. I remember her karate-chopping a purse-snatcher and pretty much nothing else. Maybe she was a waitress at the place Ben worked?

-Pav, who remembers Ben and Peter being "cousins" was due to Jessica Carradine wondering about them...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

In PAD's run, there was a kiss shared between Ben and Cassandra Mercury -- but it was Kaine who got a girlfriend!

As for Carrie Bradley, she was a love interest in the original Scarlet Spider titles, but she dumped Ben when he was late for their date too many times. I remember her karate-chopping a purse-snatcher and pretty much nothing else. Maybe she was a waitress at the place Ben worked?

-Pav, who remembers Ben and Peter being "cousins" was due to Jessica Carradine wondering about them...
    Okay, now I remember her (Carrie). I can’t say I reread those Scarlet Spider issues often.

HypnoHustler, who does reread them more often than he rereads PAD’s SS series

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Haha. Well I was a bit worried that my post would come out to critical. Well critical it was, but about me and Marvel =)

Lizard for whatever reason never really worked for me. I remember being a bit scared of the cover of asm 313 when I was a kid. So that probably influences how I feel about this.

Maybe I should pickup the devil’s reign issue. If they are going somewhere with Marcus that is.

When I reread parts of the clone saga I got to like Jessica better. For some reason I didn’t like her on my first read. I am not sure but I think I found Betty and Ben fun. Desiree was my favorite after the swarm story. Carrie amd Gabrielle escapes me.
    I liked Desiree a lot. I think she had a lot of potential as a character. Then again, I also like Janine and Jessica. Ben was a lucky guy!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    When was this?
    A ‘Spider-Man Unlimited’ issue towards the end of the clone saga. It dealt with the Great Game. Nightwatch gets killed in it (hopefully after 25 years that’s not still a spoiler). It’s a fun issue. Good art by Joe Bennett too.

Extraordinary Member

A ‘Spider-Man Unlimited’ issue towards the end of the clone saga. It dealt with the Great Game. Nightwatch gets killed in it (hopefully after 25 years that’s not still a spoiler). It’s a fun issue. Good art by Joe Bennett too.
    Thanks a lot!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Was anyone else just bewidered by the newly resurrected Richard Fisk just... being The Rose again? Talk about lazy and anticlimactic.

I know Spencer is now persona non grata but Marvel not launching a Kingpin mini-series exploring their new dynamic is just leaving money on the table.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Was anyone else just bewidered by the newly resurrected Richard Fisk just... being The Rose again? Talk about lazy and anticlimactic.

I know Spencer is now persona non grata but Marvel not launching a Kingpin mini-series exploring their new dynamic is just leaving money on the table.
    Using him in this way was a waste lmfao

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post

Yes, it is, though considering how Devil's Reign is indicated to end for Wilson Fisk according to the solicits for the final parts, it could be an excellent opportunity for Richard Fisk/Rose to step up to the plate and (try to) fill the vacuum left behind by his father. Given that Wells's ASM is apparently going to be bringing back organized crime figures as major antagonists for Spider-Man, I could see Richard squaring off against Tombstone and Madame Masque, among others, to prove that he'd be a superior Kingpin of Crime to his father.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Amazing #91 was atrocious. Bad art and even worse dialogue. Don't know why current writers have this need to try and have characters talk with one-liners and quips. Its not clever and it comes off worse when it isn't funny. If that's how Kelly Thompson writes, then I hope she never gets a solo run on the title.

As I said elsewhere, Beyond should have been a 12 issue run at best. Because all the issues that serve to pad it out have been terrible. The rotation of writers didn't work this time and I hope they never do it again unless it's immaculately planned out. You can tell Wells pulled this out of his arse and couldn't commit to it long term as they had to rope in everybody else to handle it and the different voices and styles clash.

Incredible Member

I’ve always preferred the Ben/Jessica Carradine pairing. I think with Janine, I’ve always felt that she was Ben’s “Gwen Stacy”, the tragic lost love (despite that I’ve enjoyed their interaction since Beyond came about). Like with others though, I have a bad feeling that she may not survive this Beyond arc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    I’ve always preferred the Ben/Jessica Carradine pairing. I think with Janine, I’ve always felt that she was Ben’s “Gwen Stacy”, the tragic lost love (despite that I’ve enjoyed their interaction since Beyond came about). Like with others though, I have a bad feeling that she may not survive this Beyond arc.
    The problem with Janine is she doesn't act at all like Janine.