Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default X-Men Red 1 preview

Looks great!

Magneto struggling to move metal...huh

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Yeah...now I want Storm to pull out her specialty and rip out Brand's heart.

Gorgeous prev!!!
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Looks good, but still no Cable. So my excitement is tempered… really feels like he’s going to be supporting cast at best at this point.

EDIT — Nevermind. Just read the article. I feel foolish now. Ha.

I've read elsewhere where you've talked about some of the significant players in X-Men Red -- Storm, Vulcan, Magneto, Brand, Sunspot. What's a less talked about X-Men Red character that you're excited about, and what can you say about your plans for them?

For the past little while, writers have been exploring a new take on Cable – it's like the time-tested story tactic of putting an old hero name and role on new shoulders to explore what the hero means, which is a tale as old as Batman Jones. The difference this time being that the new take and the old take were the same person, at different points in their timeline. So we got a great story about a Cable who hadn't yet become Cable – but of course, that story has to eventually end with Cable maturing into himself, and once people have had a chance to miss Old Cable, it's exciting to have him walk back in the door. Or crawl back out of the egg.

Which puts me in the fun position of writing an Old Cable with the perspective of knowing him as a teenager. And if, as a teen, he was desperately trying to live up to his myth – to the extent of killing his older self when he saw that older self as falling short – as Old Cable, time has proven him correct in who he is, and he's vastly more relaxed. He's got a sense of humor about himself which his teen self didn't have. Though that may not be obvious in X-Men Red #1, because he's playing his role as a high-ranking member of S.W.O.R.D. there – and time will tell whether he's playing that role 100% straight, even as he plays it to the hilt. I see Cable as being Roberto's mirror in that regard – a brilliant planner who projects an image counter to that as part of the plan. Roberto is the wealthy party boy, Nathan is the grizzled action man with a gun bigger than he is – and in both cases, that's what they are but it's also what they want you to see.
    That’ll teach me to have a knee-jerk reaction to some preview art.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 03-04-2022 at 08:57 AM.

Looks nice!

But please don't tell me that guy in the Vulcan scene is Sunspot. I'm traumatized enough from white-washed Roberto to consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Looks good, but still no Cable. So my excitement is tempered… really feels like he’s going to be supporting cast at best at this point.
    Read the interview, Jackie. There's a whole paragraph about Cable's new role.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Read the interview, Jackie. There's a whole paragraph about Cable's new role.
    Yep. I feel foolish now. Ha.

Astonishing Member

So Gabe and Roberto are going to fight over deathbird ?

Oh ****! The best is here!

Quote Originally Posted by Reigna View Post
    Oh ****! The best is here!
    Can’t wait! I need more preview art… and maybe some character designs from Caselli. April is still too damn far away!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Can’t wait! I need more preview art… and maybe some character designs from Caselli. April is still too damn far away!!!
    It really is, it really looks good. Like I am shook at how good it looks and my expectations were above and beyond.

This looks deliciously splendid! I love all of these powerhouse characters so much (Cable included) and I can't wait to see them all together. X-Men Red is ready to snatch the crown.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Agreed. I may actually have to get this, and I don't get many comics these days.