Thread: Radio Spaceman

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Default Radio Spaceman

For those keeping score at home I haven't exactly been singing Mignola's praises of late, ever since he wrapped things up with BPRD in 2019 his work has been more miss than hit but with a fresh start with a new character in Radio Spaceman it's like we finally have Mike back in his prime. For the first time in a long time Mignola feels truly confident in his storytelling; it's a brand new world given to us whole sale in the space of a single issue and yet it immediately sucks you in and makes you a believer. The main character is a nondescript(and unnamed) old man who springs into action after receiving a phone call from an unnamed person whom we never even hear in the dialogue and yet despite that lack of information he still comes out feeling steely and utterly in control which is fitting for a guy who we then learn solves things by remotely piloting a skull faced mechanical automaton(hence the name Radio Spaceman). Everything about this book is so beautifully understated, with all the above information delivered more by silence than words which gives the hero a smooth, silent, casual charm that immediately makes you think of your typical western hero rather than a space hero and while that mash up of sci-fi and western elements is hardly unique its none the less incredibly fun and very well done. And the genre-bending doesn't stop there as before he's done Mignola tosses in his famous blend of horror and humor as well which although its a new setting immediately makes the book have an almost nostalgic feel as it calls back to the early Hellboy stories where Mignola trusted more to atmosphere to tell a story rather than info-dumps. All and all this is a beautiful book and I can't wait to see more.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Thanks for the summation and opinion-- have this in my hold box, but likely won't get to see it for another week at least. Good to know you liked it; augurs well for my own enjoyment.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Thanks for the summation and opinion-- have this in my hold box, but likely won't get to see it for another week at least. Good to know you liked it; augurs well for my own enjoyment.
    It's a toss up between this and the Ed Gray issue from a few months back as to which is the best thing Mignola's done since Hellboy in Hell ended. Archeron might have been more deeply metaphorical but Radio Spaceman hits nostalgically like early Hellboy or Screw on Head.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

You hit the nail TWG. I loved this one. I am also a fan on Hinkle, who was in top form in this book. I hope we see a lot more of Radio Spaceman and the Mignola/Hinkle team beyond the next issue.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Between Sword of Hyperborea, Bones of the Giants and now this I really feel like Mignola has completely forgotten how to pace a story.Radio Spaceman maintains the fun pulpy adventure feel that made the initial issue so promising but this was a story that seriously needed at least one more issue to unfold its story. The whole ending bit with the alien vampire queen and the archaeologist who just randomly turned into a werewolf/ another vampire just came completely out of left field and ended the story before it had a chance to begin. We desperately needed more characterization of the Spaceman and tons more for the archaeologist and Vampire queen in order to make the fight land. I'd definitely be down for more adventures of Radio Spaceman in the future but I hope if more do come there is more mind put towards character and plot development.

We disagree TWG, I thought the fast paced, "kitchen sink" ending was great fun. From dog and frog aliens to a big Kaiju battle to the surprise vampire showdown. And I love the whole Radio Spaceman retro feel. I want more.
    And Hinkle's art was nothing bu fantastic.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    We disagree TWG, I thought the fast paced, "kitchen sink" ending was great fun. From dog and frog aliens to a big Kaiju battle to the surprise vampire showdown. And I love the whole Radio Spaceman retro feel. I want more.
    And Hinkle's art was nothing bu fantastic.
    It was definitely fun and left me wanting more(and I hope there are more minis) but the end just felt a little too sloppy and I think the story would have read better with one more issue to develop the concepts better.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It was definitely fun and left me wanting more(and I hope there are more minis) but the end just felt a little too sloppy and I think the story would have read better with one more issue to develop the concepts better.
    I would have loved one or two more issues of this. I think they were going for the "let's just throw all this at them" rather than "lets explore the concepts".