Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Here's what it says on the Marvel website:
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...er-rock-bottom
    Ahead of the character’s 60th anniversary, THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1 will launch Peter Parker into a new era – by starting him out at rock bottom. The Avengers don’t want him. He’s not on good terms with the Fantastic Four, including his good friend Johnny Storm, AKA the Human Torch. Even his beloved Aunt May doesn’t want to see him!

On the other hand, Spidey’s villains just can’t wait to get their hands on him. Both Doc Ock is in hot pursuit, while Tombstone has some nefarious plans in the works – and they aren’t the only ones gunning for him. In fact, according to a new trailer for the upcoming issue, all his enemies can taste the blood in the water, and that includes Mr. Negative, Madame Masque and so many more.

“He thinks things can’t get any worse. He’s very, very wrong,” the trailer warns over a series of images of a battered, scruffy Peter as his costume is literally torn to shreds by Tombstone and the Lizard.

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1 will spin out of the events of THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #93, which concludes the “Beyond” arc. Zeb Wells will continue as the series writer, but this time around, the legendary artist John Romita Jr. is on board to bring Peter’s latest woes to life.
    Second Doctor Octopus is Carolyn? Or is it the return of Luke Carlyle?
    I wonder what kind of Lizard it is? Kurt, Lizard or Lizard Beyond?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kanos View Post

I enjoy both characters (and think they’re underused) so either one would be interesting.

In Carolyn’s favor, she’s a protege of Otto and practically worships him, while Carlyle hates him and seeks to replace him. I can’t see him working with Otto.

In Carlyle’s favor, Wells is bringing back another forgotten JMS villain from that era in Digger. So maybe this is part of a deep dive into early 00s Spidey (they’ve already dived as much as they can in 80s and 90s lore… those wells are dry, while the 00s one is pretty untapped (except for Morlun, of course)).
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 03-08-2022 at 02:45 AM.

BANNED

So ASM#93 does lead into ASM#1, meaning it ends on a downer with the cause of the explosion, Ben presumably being 'lost' for a time, and Peter left holding the bag of blame.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kanos View Post

Called it w/ the fact Beyond leads to "What did Peter do?"

The arms for the 900 teaser look like Caryle and it would be in line w/ the JMS villain themes

I don't see Lizard in the trailer?Only Digger

Also Ben really hijacked Peter's title only to give the most mediocre performance and run and will now leave him in a bigger mess lmfao

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    The PI era wasn't where Peter ought to have been at all, sorry. His 'genius level intellect' thing is vastly overstated and needed reining in.
    I disagree, peter is a comicbook superhero, hes beaten up a herald of galactus for christs sake, him being rich and a regular average joe osnt any more proposterous than him having magic spider powers and his own spider mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I agree. It was a really dumb era. But itÂ’s in continuity and just having him back to dirt broke after is almost as dumb.
    Him being broke is stupid to you is because you takr Spider-Man too seriously as a narrative, seriously the series is a codified fantasy story that is meant to be an on going variable plot from writer to writer with the knowledge it cant change the characters iconic mandates or develop past them, its like Superman not being able to fly or Batman getting over his parents death.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    In regards to the latter, how?

He has statements and more importantly consistent feats that put him on that level.Just because many writers can't make a compelling story w/ nerfing him doesn't mean he should be permanently nerfed, because Tony/Reed/Strange etc. have the exact same problem.
    This.

I'm not in the business of reading Peter for his 'feats' and statements. I read Peter because he tries to have an ordinary life in between his extraordinary responsibilities. He doesn't 'fit' a rich lifestyle. It works somewhat for Mary Jane, but not him.

The Renew Your Vows Peter for example isn't all that well off and neither is Mary Jane, but they both make a perfectly everyday working life function

Peter being routinely shown to be out of his league running PI is also in continuity. I had no problem accepting his fall from grace and being unable to climb back out of his hole, because the important thing was he had MJ and that was enough for me, it'd be enough for anyone.

He should publish more 'Webs'.
    Nothing about Peter Parkers story is ordinary more so the Simpsons and Family Guy is about an ordinary family with a real life way of doing things, Spidey is a comic book story filled with all the traditions of the superhero fantasy cliches, ans i read them knowing peter even doing relatable things will always be morr exxagerated and nearly cartoonish for the sake of being a maonstream media for kids and teens.

So saying Peter being out of his league is underselling the rediculous stuff hes done before that his character warrants as iconic and timeless

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I agree he shouldn't be rich, but making him dumber isn't needed for that.He failed PI because he isn't a businessman, and cares way to much to hold one in 616.

I agree about RYW, although Peter being a teacher is a peak for his carrer IMO
    Peter became a member of the Fantastiv Four shortly and a Avenger, these by ypur logic would work out because peter is "out of his league" dealing with these problems and situations as a street level hero, so no him being rich shpuld have reallistically happened long ago since hes smart enough to understand reed richard level technology and hypothetically have them patented for a buisness opportunity working to sell to a market in it, or he could have been hired by any super scientist ceo because hes friends with them and they are the greatest superheroes on earth with his family living on easy street. Peter Parker has as much limitation on anything as Homer Simpson yet both characters keep big achielvements that could change their lives for the better, the irony is that their flaws keep them as they are and theu go back to being loser average joes. At least its justified for Homer because hes a comedy protagonist.

Peter as teacher is too gimmiky for me, its reveled that teenagers dont respect him

Peter as a teacher is absolutely what he ought to keep doing, it's his natural home.
    Not if he wants to wndanger children in his fights against his villians or threats, part of why peter keeps jobs like photographer and even ceo is because they hide his public activities as peter parker and teaching is a public and visable target for threats.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    Not if he wants to wndanger children in his fights against his villians or threats
    JMS's run proved how careful he'd be, so did RYV.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 03-08-2022 at 09:01 AM.

BANNED

JMS's run proved how careful he'd be, so did RYV. Come back with a meatier argument.
    PIS? You know he cant do anything against carnage or morlun right, and theres the fact students get caught up in the parker luck of getting killed and peters general tragic karma

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    PIS? You know he cant do anything against carnage or morlun right, and theres the fact students get caught up in the parker luck of getting killed and peters general tragic karma
    You acting like most of the fights in comics don't have that level of PIS or higher

If PIS wasn't a thing Peter would stomp half his enemies w/ extreme ease