Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I think the whole adoptive family is perfect as is. If they want to do it for Nightcrawler on the other hand, I think that would make more sense.

Honestly they could just pull a Chuck Austen, right? So that whole thing with Azazel could have just been some evil group thing, right? And then, to top it off the person who tells them everything vaporizes because some plot induced communion wafers.

Yeah, yeah, I got it all figured out. Some weird shared psychic drug trip or something. Got it.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
    Honestly they could just pull a Chuck Austen, right? So that whole thing with Azazel could have just been some evil group thing, right? And then, to top it off the person who tells them everything vaporizes because some plot induced communion wafers.

Yeah, yeah, I got it all figured out. Some weird shared psychic drug trip or something. Got it.
    Okay, but can we tie Romulus and Cassandra Nova into this too? If we're getting rid Nightcrawler but evil and more edgy then we might as well get rid of Evil Edgy Wolverine and Evil Edgy Xavier as well.

That was Claremont's original plan for both Kurt and Rogue...
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Quote Originally Posted by JJS View Post
    You misspelt Nightcrawler.
    Exactly, that development was for kurt... but due to homophobia marvel editorial prevented Claremont from doing it. But now would be a good time to retcon that. Azazel is kinda a meh to me. But I also recognize that a child born of a demon being a devout righteous believer has a lot of interesting angles to it.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I would love it if the MCU gave this origin to Nightcrawler and the comics then retconned the whole Azazel nonsense away.

I do like the idea that Mystique and Destiny just adopted Rogue though. If you think about it, Raven morphing into a man to impregnate Irene was a bold idea for the times, but a lesbian couple adopting and raising a kid in the 80s was at least just as bold and I'm happy to keep it as is and I hope the movies do, too.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reigna View Post
    Exactly, that development was for kurt... but due to homophobia marvel editorial prevented Claremont from doing it. But now would be a good time to retcon that. Azazel is kinda a meh to me. But I also recognize that a child born of a demon being a devout righteous believer has a lot of interesting angles to it.
    Nothing even slightly interesting has been done with Azazel. There’s been no interaction, Kurt supposedly absconded from heaven to keep an eye on Azazel nine years ago. Zilch since.
    It’s eminently retcon-able. Azazel is a demon, demons lie and obfuscate and Mystique herself is the consummate unreliable witness.
    Such a stupid plot line, made all the more so when you remember that the Xmen had a perfectly villainous, amoral, and truly vile demon already in their canon with Belasco (who was a human alchemist from the 13th century who was turned into a demon, thus keeping Kurt’s human lineage intact).

So much interesting potential with Mystique and Destiny. I can see Raven lying to Irene and telling her her baby died at birth, Irene’s reaction when she found out that wasn’t true, the schism that would cause between them, the reconciliation (even better, make Rogue and raising her part of the repairing of their love) etc.
    Plus it’s such a fascinating, such a mutant story (with connotations of the modern issue of gender non conformity) and the parallels of the human prejudice against such an origin which derailed it in reality.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    That plotline is just a retcon away from being revealed as Raven and Azazel just BS-ing due to some Faustian bargain made by Mystique. Also, considering Kurt's appearance, Irene is likely to give him away so that he doesn't compromise Raven and her.
    That retcon is not happening because frankly I doubt Marvel is anywhere near as progressive as to give a male character two biological moms, particularly whey it involves one growing you know what. It’s been rejected by editorial for decades. Nightcrawler is and will remain Mystique and Azazel’s son due to heteronormativity and what the general public can tolerate. And it’s nowhere near as open as some want to believe.

However, if Rogue is some sort of test tube baby between Mystique and Destiny crested with the help of Sinister , with a mad scientist involved they can get away with that.
    Last edited by WallStreeter; 03-06-2022 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I would love to see the retcon that reveals that Mystique is indeed Nightcrawler's "father" and Destiny his biological mother. Maybe Azazel could have been the sperm donor because Mystique cannot create semen.

Why not. Let's go for it.

Also, we need EXPLICIT trans* representation in the comicbooks ASAP! I think it is absolutely shameful that LGBTQI+ is only stuck at L-G. Mystique should at least be more explicitly gender-queer/non-binary. Claremont showed us in the past already that Mystique used a male-presenting body when she dated Destiny in the past.

Maybe Rachel could come out as trans*?
    Eh, idk about that. We definitely need more trans rep, but it’s way too often done with characters who can magically change biology at will. Especially since Mystique and Destiny are one of the highest profile lesbian couples in comics, it feels weird to say that Mystique mainly presents male when she sees Destiny. I’d rather see high profile trans characters who have transitioned through traditional medical means like real people do and are living their lives happily.

The biggest hurdle to this is you'd have to retcon that 2004 Rogue solo by Rodi with her hippie commune family which ... while personally I did not care for, I'm sure someone did. The whole thing felt like some weird fever dream and very overly complicated with the whole Farbanks situation. I'm sure some fans must have liked though. Not that the whole thing can't be hand-waved down to implanted memories or some overly elaborate plot done for *reasons*, but Rogue even has a living Aunt with her same white streak and supposedly a biological father still out there.

Still ... I DO find it extremely conspicuous that we still don't know Rogue's biological surname and that her deadbeat Dad has never re-emerged.

I did have a fan theory for a thing I did that Mystique could be Rogue's father, since he's been unaccounted for this whole time after supposedly running out on his family. Or perhaps Mystique had a chance ... or not so chance? ... encounter with Rogue's biological Mom on Destiny's instructions to help bring about the child they wanted and her bio Dad always suspected Rogue wasn't his kid.

I dunno, it would be interesting to connect her to one of them, but I'm not so sure about both.

Much as I hate that solo, I prefer to smooth out, re-contextualize and respectfully retcon bad continuity rather than totally trash it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Eh, idk about that. We definitely need more trans rep, but it’s way too often done with characters who can magically change biology at will. Especially since Mystique and Destiny are one of the highest profile lesbian couples in comics, it feels weird to say that Mystique mainly presents male when she sees Destiny. I’d rather see high profile trans characters who have transitioned through traditional medical means like real people do and are living their lives happily.
    I see your point definitely in not damaging a high profile lesbian couple and also in making room for actual trans characters who went through a medical process. The medical process is much different from someone who can magically change. Plus given that Mystique has done some very shady things we should not want the first trans person in comics to be a villain/murderer/liar.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    The biggest hurdle to this is you'd have to retcon that 2004 Rogue solo by Rodi with her hippie commune family which ... while personally I did not care for, I'm sure someone did. The whole thing felt like some weird fever dream and very overly complicated with the whole Farbanks situation. I'm sure some fans must have liked though. Not that the whole thing can't be hand-waved down to implanted memories or some overly elaborate plot done for *reasons*, but Rogue even has a living Aunt with her same white streak and supposedly a biological father still out there.

Still ... I DO find it extremely conspicuous that we still don't know Rogue's biological surname and that her deadbeat Dad has never re-emerged.

I did have a fan theory for a thing I did that Mystique could be Rogue's father, since he's been unaccounted for this whole time after supposedly running out on his family. Or perhaps Mystique had a chance ... or not so chance? ... encounter with Rogue's biological Mom on Destiny's instructions to help bring about the child they wanted and her bio Dad always suspected Rogue wasn't his kid.

I dunno, it would be interesting to connect her to one of them, but I'm not so sure about both.

Much as I hate that solo, I prefer to smooth out, re-contextualize and respectfully retcon bad continuity rather than totally trash it.
    Rogue’s living aunt could be a relative or Mystique or Destiny. I’d say most of that series was literally a dream, including Rogue’s mother. Since they didn’t have editorial approval to give her last name and a true origin it was written so it could easily be retconned away or even recontextualized.

Now if Destiny had a vision and told Mystique to impregnate Rogue’s mother for s child that would be useful for them, that might be interesting. Or I could see Sinister mixing up Irene and Raven’s DNA, in exchange for useful information from Destiny, and implanting Rogue in this woman so that Rogue would be out of the mix for awhile as Raven and Irene have dangerous lives.

You mentioned why I know they not going to make Kurt the biological son of Mystique and Destiny. Raven has been established as birthing several children now, and they have done multiple stories that deal with Kurt being the son of Azazel/half demon. It’s firmly entrenched with the public and writers.

Rogue in the other hand still has no origin. Plus we know Irene and Raven wouldn’t just adopt any girl. Rogue was useful to them and since that’s the case, those two would do what have to do create her, even if they had to have Sinister combine their eggs and implant them in some poor woman Mystique met.
    Last edited by WallStreeter; 03-07-2022 at 12:40 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

No because Rogue's runaway origin story works. Also it would conflict with Claremont's earlier stories where he pretty much hinted Mystique was only using Rogue for the Brotherhood.
    "Cable was right!"

Not really, I think Rogue’s story is perfect as it is, and she works very well as a runaway girl. I see that she is different culturally from Irene and Raven (I am a foreigner so maybe I am wrong but that’s the impression I’ve got by reading their stories), so I also don’t think making her “runaway story” a cover up makes much sense. Retconning her origins it’s unnecessary and it can become a “Wanda and Pietro” situation where they have like five origins.

Also I personally don’t like when they retcon a character to a “prophetic origin” so making Rogue the product of a Destiny’s prophecy that needed to be fulfilled seems boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    No because Rogue's runaway origin story works. Also it would conflict with Claremont's earlier stories where he pretty much hinted Mystique was only using Rogue for the Brotherhood.
    Totally agree

10char