Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I find that there are some titles that actually benefit from the B&W treatment. I much prefer my Essential volumes of Tomb of Dracula over the colour reprints as the Colan/Palmer artwork shines through in black and white. Similarly, I have some Titan Books volumes of Moore/Bissette Swamp Thing that are beautiful in B&W.

I prefer the colored version of the Epic Collection, even if they are getting a tad expensive (although, considering inflation, I doubt the Essential line would still be as cheap as they were). However, I also prefered the fact that the Essentials came out in proper order, instead of the random years of the Epic line, when, sometimes, a sequence of issues are interrupted, and you have no ideia when you're gonna be able to get the following issues. Now, DC also needs to get a proper line of cheaper, colored TPBs reprints of the older material, to replace the Showcase line. Personally, I've always found Marvel way better then DC with their trade and reprints programs, even though DC has MUCh more material.

Peace

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I prefer the colored version of the Epic Collection, even if they are getting a tad expensive (although, considering inflation, I doubt the Essential line would still be as cheap as they were). However, I also prefered the fact that the Essentials came out in proper order, instead of the random years of the Epic line, when, sometimes, a sequence of issues are interrupted, and you have no ideia when you're gonna be able to get the following issues. Now, DC also needs to get a proper line of cheaper, colored TPBs reprints of the older material, to replace the Showcase line. Personally, I've always found Marvel way better then DC with their trade and reprints programs, even though DC has MUCh more material.

Peace
    DC's trades are almost always more affordable as well; Marvel drops $40 and $45 trades all the time, and the flimsy paper kills me. I guess that's the trade off for more frequent releases...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    DC's trades are almost always more affordable as well; Marvel drops $40 and $45 trades all the time, and the flimsy paper kills me. I guess that's the trade off for more frequent releases...
    That is true. DC's trades usually ARE more affordable. As for the paper, there are occasions in which I also complain about the paper quality in DC's trades, so, here, I'm gonna check on both companies columns. I still think DC has soooo many more gems that have never seen reprint, while Marvel manages to reprint almost all of its material, sometimes, incomprehensibly, endlessly so.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 05-27-2022 at 06:11 AM.

Spectacular Member

some of you think 39.99 or whatever it too much for the newer Epic Collection trades?

Explain the Omnibus hardcovers for stuff like X-men, Spider-Man etc. Thy cost like 125 bucks or more brand new

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post
    some of you think 39.99 or whatever it too much for the newer Epic Collection trades?

Explain the Omnibus hardcovers for stuff like X-men, Spider-Man etc. Thy cost like 125 bucks or more brand new
    Don't worry, I consider those grossly overpriced as well.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I liked them, but I can understand why they're not published anymore.

Stores likely don't want to carry material that takes up so much space, and has diminishing returns (There's more interest in the Lee/ Ditko Spider-Man run than Essential Captain Marvel Volume 2 or Essential Defenders Volume 4.

Fans who want to read the classic stories can also get these online. The most important stories are also available in higher quality formats than the relatively cheap black & white essentials.

It made sense in the early 21st Century, but not anymore.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Beyond a doubt... YES!

Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post

$50-$80 for Epic Collections here in Australia. $150-$225 for Omnibuses.

A cheaper option than that would appeal to me.

Marvel is reprinting a series of their 1960s glory in manga size. Is there much interest in this?

I'm assuming the answer is yes, since this is the model they followed with more of the teen friendly books((Ms. Marvel, Moon Girl, Hawkeye, etc).

Old news(but new to me).

https://www.comicsbeat.com/mighty-ma...eaders-comics/

I hope they do well but I have no interest.

If you do have interest, a number are now out(and available on Amazon, etc).

This seems to be their attempt to get less expensive, color copies out. $15.99 for 10 issues in a smaller trade dress.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by etrumble View Post
    Marvel is reprinting a series of their 1960s glory in manga size. Is there much interest in this?

I'm assuming the answer is yes, since this is the model they followed with more of the teen friendly books((Ms. Marvel, Moon Girl, Hawkeye, etc).

Old news(but new to me).

This seems to be their attempt to get less expensive, color copies out. $15.99 for 10 issues in a smaller trade dress.
    Honestly? I think that’s a great idea, although I don’t think the storylines of all comics will work in tankoban style format when you consider crossovers and the like, unless the collections crew is working well to figure out how to collect things.

I definitely read some of the B&W prints when I was younger, and it’s good I did because I never would have read the color versions (sorry to be that person, but I hate the colors in old comics, they just don’t work for me.)

Truthfully, I’d be more interested in attempts to give old stories modern art, but I know that’s practically sacrilegious.

Old news(but new to me).

I think this is aimed at younger readers. Less expensive and easy to carry around, chuck it in a bag.
    Panini actually done this in Europe (or the UK at least) before, I had a small Claremont X-men trade and I think they had a whole buncha volumes printed from that run (around 6 issues each I think).

Old news(but new to me).

I don't know if it works well at that size.

Some of the earlier comics have a lot of panels per page, and a decent number of words per panel. Recent comics have more detailed art, which can also be lost in the shrinking.

That said, I did really enjoy some Lee/ Romita Spider-Man digests I picked up in a British bookstore.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

What a great question. Yes, because they all ended about one volume short of some kind of complete run, such as Daredevil ending one volume short of the Miller run, which is readily available in trade and none of the immediately prior stuff is. In many cases one or two issues short due to them purposely not having them end with storylines/runs to be difficult (Wolverine ended on 148 instead of 149 which was before a huge reboot time jump; Amazing Spider-Man ends on 248 instead of finishing the last Stern story, where Spidey goes off to Secret Wars!) Would love to see them return. I am not a fan of the Epic collections that jump around and never get to some eras. Of course, they also don't do the omnibuses correctly anymore and jam in tons of crap that no one wants instead of series and annuals. Does anyone *really* want an Uncanny X-Men omnibus that only goes from 154-175, just so we can get a Magik mini in there that no one cared about? She's not even an X-Man, it's a New Mutant spinoff! I miss how the essentials used to do only the bare minimum of tie ins, so you could see what really counted towards a story to make sense... heck, the original volumes never even collected the Spider-Man magazine from 1968 or God Loves Man Kills!