Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default How many issues would you read before you drop a title?

If you weren’t interested in a title, how many issues would you read before deciding to drop it? Or you would you drop it straight away? Would you ever return to that title or drop it completely?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDragonKing View Post
    If you weren’t interested in a title, how many issues would you read before deciding to drop it? Or you would you drop it straight away? Would you ever return to that title or drop it completely?
    Depends on the writer, the character, how connected it was with other books I was reading, and how many issues the storyline is suppose to last.

Depends on how bad it is. If it's a straight up terrible read, I'll drop it after the first issue. If it's just "meh" but has an interesting enough premise where I think it could get better, I'll normally give it through the first story arc before deciding.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I'll usually stick it out if it's a hardcore favorite of mine. Like, I buy Flash monthly. It took a lot for me to stop buying it around 2012, Rebirth pulled me back in. It wasn't great around 2019 either, but I stuck it out.

Usually a first issue is enough to know if I'll like a series or not, I think around 2 or 3 is when I'll know if it's worth buying continuously.

Incredible Member

1 if it's a character I wouldn't normally buy (Adam Strange, Supergirl, Human Target, for example).

1 if it's a character I like (Wolverine; Batman) by a writer I don't know (Percy; Williamson).

2 if it's a character I like (Wolverine) by a writer I like (Aaron).

I'm pretty quick to cut ties and go do something else, because:

A) there's always something else out there to read, watch, listen.
    B) these characters and comics aren't real; I don't feel loyalty to them or any creators; it's an entertainment business and they're not loyal to me.
    C) by not buying something I don't like, I'm voting with my wallet.
    D) life's too short to spend it on shit I'm not actively enjoying.

I'm trying to learn to drop titles faster than I do. Usually, I wait until a story-line is finished, but some never seem to end.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Typically I'll give a new series at least the first arc, but if it's something featuring one of my favorites (Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Aquaman) I'll usually stick it out until the end, be that cancellation or a new creative team.

I have an oddly misplaced sense of loyalty to fictional characters.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

If I'm buying the title because I like the character, I will give it a few more issues (maybe 6?) than if I bought it for any other reason. (creative team or intriguing premise) Then I might give it 3 if it ends up not grabbing me.

Mostly I play it by ear and judge on a case by case basis when and if I drop a title.

If it's a new book (new to me, or just a first issue, whatever) it gets one issue, maybe two, to impress me. If it's a character or creator I really like, I might give it another issue or two to find its footing. Same if the story hook is really cool, or something that seems to need some time to establish itself.

But generally I'll drop a book I'm not enjoying real damn fast. I won't pay for entertainment that doesn't entertain me.

When I drop a book, I often do keep an eye on it afterwards in case things turn around and it becomes good (or becomes good again, in the case of ongoings). New story arcs, new directions, new creators.....any of those things might tempt me to give it another try.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

2 issues.

The first can be a fluke so I'll allow a mulligan if that second issue isn't what I want it to be then I'll take my money elsewhere.

I will however grab the arc in TPB format if I already have the majority of issue; for example if I have 3 out 5 issues then I'll pick it up because a TPB will be negligible in costs then the single issues, but if I only have 2 out 5 those I'll never look at that arc again and probably give those two issues away.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    1 if it's a character I wouldn't normally buy (Adam Strange, Supergirl, Human Target, for example).

1 if it's a character I like (Wolverine; Batman) by a writer I don't know (Percy; Williamson).

2 if it's a character I like (Wolverine) by a writer I like (Aaron).

I'm pretty quick to cut ties and go do something else, because:

A) there's always something else out there to read, watch, listen.
    B) these characters and comics aren't real; I don't feel loyalty to them or any creators; it's an entertainment business and they're not loyal to me.
    C) by not buying something I don't like, I'm voting with my wallet.
    D) life's too short to spend it on shit I'm not actively enjoying.
    Bruh, you really need to exposure more of different characters instead living in the comfort with the character you know (Wolverine, Batman).

If It was me, I would went bonker if I keep buying the same popular character again.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Depends on how bad it is. If it's a straight up terrible read, I'll drop it after the first issue. If it's just "meh" but has an interesting enough premise where I think it could get better, I'll normally give it through the first story arc before deciding.
    More or less where I'm at. Though I do have certain pet peeves that make me drop a series faster than Wally going full tilt. And sometimes, certain things will keep from a title altogether, like the author or the art preview.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Bruh, you really need to exposure more of different characters instead living in the comfort with the character you know (Wolverine, Batman).

If It was me, I would went bonker if I keep buying the same popular character again.
    ... What? Why do you think I only read those characters?

I used to do a 3-5 issue trial but there's too much content outhere and comics are too expensive. If a comic finds its footing past that i'll pick it back up.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Usually, I give the writer six issues.
    That said, there has been stuff where I've dropped it after 1 or 2 issues.

Good example: I've pre-ordered the first three issues of Mark Waid's World's Finest.
    Not for the characters, but for Waid and Mora - both f whom I love.
    By the time #1 rolls around, I'll know if I want to preorder #4.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.