Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Usually 1-6.

If it's a character I really like I can often stick a 'meh' arc for up to 3-6 issues. If it's someone I don't really care about to begin with I can drop halfway through the first issue.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

If the first issue doesn't catch me, I won't keep on. However, if I'm buying 5 or 6 issues, I'm going to stick it out to 12 or maybe 24. It bothers me to have like 10 or 17 issues of something. 12 is one year, 24 is 2 years. Like I dropped Crossover, Chu, and Home Sick Pilots at 12 issues. Dropping Dept of Truth, Star Wars, and Iron Man at 24.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    If the first issue doesn't catch me, I won't keep on. However, if I'm buying 5 or 6 issues, I'm going to stick it out to 12 or maybe 24. It bothers me to have like 10 or 17 issues of something. 12 is one year, 24 is 2 years. Like I dropped Crossover, Chu, and Home Sick Pilots at 12 issues. Dropping Dept of Truth, Star Wars, and Iron Man at 24.
    What is #24 ends up being part 3 of a 4 part arc? You wouldn't pick up #25 to complete the story?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Between one and four depending on the creative team, the character and how much I'm willing to go along with the story.

Sometimes the art is so good I'll stay a lot longer than I normally would, such as some of the last Tom King books I've read where he snatched up all my favorite artists and wrote books I genuinely do not enjoy at all but love looking at.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

I've been currently buying Batgirls and had planned to stay with it through at least issue #6 to finish the first arc, but I don't know if I'll even give it to then.

NOTE: Still haven't picked up issue #4, which came out this week.
    Expect to get it towards the end of next week.

It really just depends on how bad the series is. If I read one issue and find it awful, I'll drop it right away. But if I see some potential, I might give it a few more issues to hook me before I make a final decision.

Recently 3 to 6, give or take

The Legion of Super Heroes: Bendis. I gave his bastardization of the Legion 7 issues until I could take no more.

Detective Comics: Mariko Tamaki I gave 6 issues, it started okay as I love the Huntress, but the writing got pretty redundant & boring.

Batman: Tyrion, The lead up to Joker's War was awesome, Joker's war itself was average, and after Joker's war was miserable, 3 issues into the Ghostmaker and I quit. (what a crap villain)

Batman : Tom King; It was good until they got to the dream sequence, Bruce married Selina, and Alfred got killed by Bane. wtf, dropped right away.

Green Lantern: Geoff Thorne, John Stewart isn't my first pick for GL, but I like him enough to pick up the title, poor writing 5 issues

Green Lantern: Grant Morrison I love Hal, but I found the writing really obtuse. The whole Blackstar plot set me on the wrong foot (here we go again, Hal replacement time) . When we finally got to the Green Lantern, 3 or 4 issues and I packed it in.

Flash: The new writer is great! The problem is I just came of the most awesome run with Williamson, and I love Wally, but I couldn't make the switch back, because I now wanted more Barry. (DC has to learn to roll with just one hero for their top brands)

Mr. Miracle: Tom King. This was horrendous. I recall Big Barda beheading Granny Goodness 3 or 4 issues in. "What the hell am I reading" dropped.

I'm on issue #9 with Superman Son of Kal-El.

In no way is it bad but some stuff I wanna follow monthly and this series I may just follow in trade form so I can explore around at other stuff...

But then so far I'm still pulling it.

Nubia I dropped after 1 issue. The Wonder Woman books are always more interesting to me when set in a city in modern earth. I don't care much about mythical or themyscira stories... plus this series will be a trade I pick up one day.

Honestly a question like this all depends on the series, character, writers and artist...

I'll collect a boon that doesn't read well just cause I love the art so much and vise versa...

When I used to buy, quite a few years ago (probably close to 10), I'd give it a go for 1-2 issues and if it sucked I was out. No matter if it was a character and/or creative team I liked. I never understood the concept of "hate buying." I like my money.