Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    Honestly after reading Beyond, I don't expect great things from Zeb Wells here. I like a lot of the dudes work but Beyond has missed every possible mark I don't see this Spidey run being anything special. Issue 900 being a super Adaptoid fight seems pretty whack. Like he already beats six people at a time with the sinister six powers on the regular. What's so special about one person with all those powers.

Didn't he beat up multiple sinister sixs or whatever sinister war was with Spencer?
    Tbf Wells didn't write much of it and his issues have been decent so far, only problem w/ him is his MJ and nerfing Peter

Still wacky 900 idea

As for Peter's power level, he's consistently shown he could easily win most of the fights he struggles w/ feats so best to just ignore it

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Just the same as Peter and MJ. Their love exorcised the devil from the Stacy twins and put Harry in heaven, they're 'unbreakable', now a typical Parker goof up is going to break them when that couldn't? There's no earned immersion in this upcoming run, it's all so lazy.
    Yeah they really thought breaking up Peter/Mj was going to help lmfao.And a Adaptoid fight at 900? I do wonder whose the Person from the past who captured the Sinister Six though

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Tbf Wells didn't write much of it and his issues have been decent so far, only problem w/ him is his MJ and nerfing Peter

Still wacky 900 idea

As for Peter's power level, he's consistently shown he could easily win most of the fights he struggles w/ feats so best to just ignore it
    Wells was presented as the ship steerer of the so-called Beyond board. His issues Beyond the first two have not been of a high quality imo. He's also contributed to the overall poor arc for every character in this run. The idea that he's suddenly going to deliver gold after his role in the junky stuff we've been getting seems unlikely to me. Wells has to own his role in this dud story and I'm not going to pretend his **** doesn't stink so people can act with deluded optimism because now it's the Peter book, give me a break with that. And honestly Peter is the only character who comes out looking not like a total useless fool in this arc so I don't see how he's been "nerfed" and that's ultimately not important to me compared to quality of story, which has been exceptionally low since wells and the Beyond board took the helm.

Like I said, I don't care about feats or comic book rumble stuff, not my thing. I was just pointing out that this Sinister Adaptoid is in paper not even as threatening or exciting as a concept as a regular ass sinister six. Especially for a 900 issue they are making a big deal with.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    Wells was presented as the ship steerer of the so-called Beyond board. His issues Beyond the first two have not been of a high quality imo. He's also contributed to the overall poor arc for every character in this run. The idea that he's suddenly going to deliver gold after his role in the junky stuff we've been getting seems unlikely to me. Wells has to own his role in this dud story and I'm not going to pretend his **** doesn't stink so people can act with deluded optimism because now it's the Peter book, give me a break with that. And honestly Peter is the only character who comes out looking not like a total useless fool in this arc so I don't see how he's been "nerfed" and that's ultimately not important to me compared to quality of story, which has been exceptionally low since wells and the Beyond board took the helm.

Like I said, I don't care about feats or comic book rumble stuff, not my thing. I was just pointing out that this Sinister Adaptoid is in paper not even as threatening or exciting as a concept as a regular ass sinister six. Especially for a 900 issue they are making a big deal with.
    I think we should take take note of a few things

1.All beyond board writers had a share in the story, like Kelly w/ Daughters of the Dragon, etc. The fact that Wells was probably working on his run after Beyond just furthers to me that others had more control than let on.

2.Wells didn't have any intention of doing a Ben story

3.His issues have been one of the better ones, even though they were introductory they still were fine IMO.93 will be what cements my opinion on it tbh.His hellions were gold(even w/ the C-list cast) so he does know HOW to write characters and dynamics.

4.Yeah I agree Beyond's been bad, I'm just saying I don't think it's fair to blame him for it since his issues were better than most and he's shown how well he can write in Hellions recently.

5.Yeah I agree Sinister adaptoid is a boring concept, I'm far more intrigued who it is who captured them.Hopefully the stuff they keep a secret like the ending actual does deliver.

6.I also like what Wells has written for Spidey in general:- Avenging Spider-man was great(love the hawkeye issue) and I even like Shed more than most.I just hope he keeps it serious because I'm not a fan of his comedy for Spidey
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 03-18-2022 at 12:12 AM.

Astonishing Member

I think we should take take note of a few things

1.All beyond board writers had a share in the story, like Kelly w/ Daughters of the Dragon, etc. The fact that Wells was probably working on his run after Beyond just furthers to me that others had more control than let on.
    They've presented it as Wells having the showrunner role - the concept is his and he was probably heavily involved with the breaking of the story - i.e. determining the story beats that were then given to the individual authors. I'm also pretty sure that what happens in Beyond directly leads to his run. So his share of the story is more than the others - he's the overall steerer of the ship.

2.Wells didn't have any intention of doing a Ben story
    It's pretty obvious the Peter stuff is tacked on - considering he's been in a coma for most of the story - so in the Ben story you can see the outline of what Wells thinks a Peter story should be (i.e. a Peter who would work for Beyond....which seems like a fundamental misread of the character)

3.His issues have been one of the better ones, even though they were introductory they still were fine IMO.93 will be what cements my opinion on it tbh.His hellions were gold(even w/ the C-list cast) so he does know HOW to write characters and dynamics.

4.Yeah I agree Beyond's been bad, I'm just saying I don't think it's fair to blame him for it since his issues were better than most and he's shown how well he can write in Hellions recently.
    Agree to disagree. IMO his issues were mediocre and don't rise anywhere near to the quality of Jed MacKay's issues. And considering how dire some of the other writers' issues were, saying his are better than, say, Thompson's (and Thompson is a good writer, I have no idea what happened unless she was hamstrung by Wells and/or Lowe) is pretty much the definition of damning with faint praise. And since Beyond is Wells's baby - he deserves the lion's share of the blame for Beyond, not the writers trying to follow his outline.

5.Yeah I agree Sinister adaptoid is a boring concept, I'm far more intrigued who it is who captured them.Hopefully the stuff they keep a secret like the ending actual does deliver.
    Hopefully. But it's pretty sad the concept for a major anniversary is so...cliche and overused (we just saw Peter fight the Sinister Six. We even just saw MJ fight the Savage Six. Like, c'mon, people).

6.I also like what Wells has written for Spidey in general:- Avenging Spider-man was great(love the hawkeye issue) and I even like Shed more than most.I just hope he keeps it serious because I'm not a fan of his comedy for Spidey
    When one has to point to Shed - which is the prime example of a great story idea that should have been killed when it was pitched as it is demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of Spider-Man and his world, and should have been given to a more nilhilstic corner of the Marvel Universe or saved for indie comics - one is kinda in trouble (not to bring up yet another story that should have been killed at birth). Again, IMO.

Astonishing Member

The more I think of it, the more I'm convinced. I think I know who creates the "Sinister Adaptoid": Spencer or Alystair Smythe. Let's face it, who else has a long record around creating "killing machines" to destroy Spider-Man?

BANNED

So I found something on twitter that reveals Slott and Daniel Kibblesmith are contributing to 900 also.

Astonishing Member

So I found something on twitter that reveals Slott and Daniel Kibblesmith are contributing to 900 also.
    Nobody can Stop the Slott
    He's like the T800 of Spider-Man, he won't stop coming

Astonishing Member

House of No Ideas strikes again.

Well, these milestone issues usually get backups.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Nobody can Stop the Slott
    He's like the T800 of Spider-Man, he won't stop coming
    Slott's head in a jar writing something for ASM #4000. I see it.

Extraordinary Member

Link's not working

Also man wtf is he still writing

BANNED

Link's not working
    Strange, it shows up for me.

Extraordinary Member

Strange, it shows up for me.
    Huh, not working for me

Anyways what is it?

BANNED

Huh, not working for me

Anyways what is it?
    I told you in the first post about it. Just a snapshot of the writer's credits for ASM#900 which confirmed Slott and Kibblesmith were contributing to the book

Extraordinary Member

I told you in the first post about it. Just a snapshot of the writer's credits for ASM#900 which confirmed Slott and Kibblesmith were contributing to the book
    Oh okay, my bad