Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Someone from Spider-Man’s past has captured the Sinister Six and used them to create the truly terrifying SINISTER ADAPTOID
    HATE this. Can't stand this type of storytelling.

Propping up the new threat by diminishing the classics, Spidey's greatest villains being caught (probably in a few panels or off-screen), combining the villains into one ultra-villain (who will give a first good showing but ultimately be weaker than the separate parts).

LAME!

Also, how can a Super Adaptoid assimilate Kraven and Mysterio's abilities? Is it able to take skill and talent? They're both powerless and rely on trained ability and intellect. It'll probably be ignored and it'll just be able to cast illusions for some reason.

Actually, why even ask? The picture shows it has somehow absorbed... Kraven's lion-skin outfit?

I know, I know, don't think and just enjoy.

I do like Ed McGuinness' art, though. And JRJR. I'll definitely be giving Wells' era a shot but I'm really unimpressed with the ideas so far.
    Last edited by exile001; 03-09-2022 at 06:13 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I'm all for embracing the silliness of the Sinister Adaptoid of 900. Less so, the setup of another mystery (with someone in the shadows plotting?) that'll take dozens of issues to resolve. It seems every other run attempts that since the Clone Saga or Peter's Robot Parents.
    Last edited by Webhead; 03-09-2022 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    HATE this. Can't stand this type of storytelling.

Propping up the new threat by diminishing the classics, Spidey's greatest villains being caught (probably in a few panels or off-screen), combining the villains into one ultra-villain (who will give a first good showing but ultimately be weaker than the separate parts).

LAME!

Also, how can a Super Adaptoid assimilate Kraven and Mysterio's abilities? Is it able to take skill and talent? They're both powerless and rely on trained ability and intellect. It'll probably be ignored and it'll just be able to cast illusions for some reason.

Actually, why even ask? The picture shows it has somehow absorbed... Kraven's lion-skin outfit?

I know, I know, don't think and just enjoy.

I do like Ed McGuinness' art, though. And JRJR. I'll definitely be giving Wells' era a shot but I'm really unimpressed with the ideas so far.
    The Super-Adaptoid has fought Avengers without powers, I believe, so it can probably take in raw talent like, say, Hawkeye's archery skills.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I am certainly no Slott fan ( Queen Pin Silk etc), but at least there are stories you can pick up later in trades and enjoy. But except for Felicia/MJ, there is not one story I can actually enjoy in trades..It is frightening to think the three characters in Beyond are. 1 Felicia. 2 MJ. 3: Janine. It is interesting to note that Spencer has done nothing to defend his run the final year. Why is that? I especially note that those who drank the “Nick Spencer Kool Aid” against editorial have stopped doing that. I guess I was right about how bad it is , although to be honest I would have rather been wrong, and we got the marriage restored and good stories.
    I'm still positive that editorial - not Lowe, but higher up - interferred with Spencer's Kindred story arc. There's just no other rational explanation for why the story went so badly off the rails the way it did. Spencer knew what starting his run with an explicit callback to Fraction's To Have and To Hold story would signify to readers. He knew what introducing Chekhov's engagement ring would also signify. He may not be everyone's cup of tea as a writer, but he's a very smart one who understands storytelling craft. He wouldn't have included those elements without intending to use and come full circle on them.

I just see no need to keep talking about how Spencer was obviously done dirty because it's old news, over and done.

But having his story truncated by editorial would be a very good reason why Spencer doesn't talk about it. Why cry over spilled milk, especially when he's off to bigger and better things at Substack? And why air dirty laundry in public? After all, he might work with Marvel again someday. And if I were a gambler, I'd bet Spencer learned in the aftermath of all the public spats over Hydra Cap that it's probably best to keep one's gripes and grievances to one's private text groups and phone calls.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    I'm still positive that editorial - not Lowe, but higher up - interferred with Spencer's Kindred story arc..
    Recently, Chip Zdarsky was interviewed about writing Batman for DC and the subject of whether or not he would ever helm ASM came up, and Chip alluded that he knew the Marvel staff so well that he feels he wouldn't be able to do his best work with the character. That sounds an awful lot like Marvel are still shooting down pitches for things to do with the marriage and chasing away writers hungry to tackle it.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Don't think that's fully it. There's probably a lot more to it and other things he wants to do but don't think they are actively chasing away writers

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

The Sinister Adaptoid sounds awesome to me. I love it when heroes and villains work together and sort of mix things up.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Don't think that's fully it. There's probably a lot more to it and other things he wants to do but don't think they are actively chasing away writers
    I do not either. If for only one reason: Sales, and bad stories often mean bad sales ( personally speaking unless a story is good, I will wait for trades or skip it altogether ( like I am doing with with Beyond to a large extent)).. While comics are not as important as MCU or merchandise when it comes to the bottom line, they certainly do not want bad numbers either and to lose money. I would also note ASM 1000 will be here before most of us realize it, and that is a very important date @ Marvel which they do not want to screw up.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    This is straight-up Super Adaptoid.

Attachment 119051
    I could see part of the mask in the "hidden version", so I knew that it was a Super-Adaptoid. The elements I saw clearly meant it was a "Sinister Adaptoid" with the powers of Spider-Man's enemies. There was an electrified hand (Electro), a hand made of sand (Sandman), feathers (Vulture), a velt with fangs? (Kraven), mechanical arms (Doctor Octopus) and one of Mysterio's eyes from his cape. (Any chance there's a bigger version of this pic, please?).

By the way, I think I know who have created this thing. Let's see, who do we Spider-Fans know that has a long story around "create killing machines designed to destroy Spider-Man"? That's right: Spencer and Alistair Smythe, the creators of the Spider-Slayers. This adaptoid certainly could work as the "ultimate Spider-Slayer".

But honestly, this is lame. I mean, you create a robot that reproduces the powers of Spider-Man's greatest enemies, but you don't consider using the Green Goblin for it? That's pathetic! Without the powers of Spider-Man's greatest enemy, this tin-can has no chance against Spidey.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I dunno. Seems kinda interesting; something new, at least. I was thinking along the lines of a Sinister Six version of the Super Skrull.
    That actually happened before. Don't you remember the original Secret Invasion? A lot of Super-Skrulls, having mixed powers of several heroes and villains from Earth, attacked New York with a different task for everyone. There was a Super-Skrull who was sent to kill Spider-Man, and it has the powers of six of Spider-Man's deadliest enemies: Venom, Rhino, Lizard, Hydro-Man, Sandman and Electro. But since Spider-Man was dealing with another problem, this "Sinister Skrull" was defeated by the heroine named Jackpot.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    I mean, you create a robot that reproduces the powers of Spider-Man's greatest enemies, but you don't consider using the Green Goblin for it? That's pathetic! Without the powers of Spider-Man's greatest enemy, this tin-can has no chance against Spidey.
    What powers would Osborn add?

Plot armour? Occasional 4th wall breaking "crazy"? The power to be unnecessarily used as a plot device to end an off the rails 3 year long saga 20+ years after last appearing? A green rubber suit fetish?

Norman's general power level is way below an Adaptoid and most of his attacks are gadgets.

Seriously, though, it's the same for Kraven. There is nothing really added other than the potential for a spectacular 'stache.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I do not either. If for only one reason: Sales, and bad stories often mean bad sales ( personally speaking unless a story is good, I will wait for trades or skip it altogether ( like I am doing with with Beyond to a large extent)).. While comics are not as important as MCU or merchandise when it comes to the bottom line, they certainly do not want bad numbers either and to lose money. I would also note ASM 1000 will be here before most of us realize it, and that is a very important date @ Marvel which they do not want to screw up.
    Neither Action Comics 1000 nor Detective Comics 1000 featured any major status quo altering stories. Instead it focused on presenting a wide variety of stories the celebrated the history of the character and allowed classic creators to return and allowed new creators a chance to do a definitive story.(Each featured a prologue story that set up an upcoming story by the current creative team, but that was not the main thrust of those issues.) Each of those was the best-selling comic of the year it was released. DC made a bet that offering an anniversary issue that allowed people to celebrate the historic nature without requiring them to buy multiple issues leading up to it or leave them with a cliffhanger would net them higher sales. The fact that they continued doing the same format for almost all their classic characters over the next few years seems to indicate that to be the case.
    Marvel is a different publisher than DC, and might not follow the same route, but there is a large possibility that they might shy away from having Amazing 1000 be a big earth shattering status quo changing story, and instead do the kind of anthology book that honors the history of the character (and create an issue that can be enjoyed by new and lapsed readers) instead of using the opportunity to publish a divisive story to appease a portion of their existing readership.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah either way 100 better do Peter justice because out boy is being treated messy af for a long time now

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Yeah either way 100 better do Peter justice because out boy is being treated messy af for a long time now
    And why would that ever change? Really, the book makes money hand over fist just keeping him miserable, they know what's working.

Mighty Member

They won't even let Peter have a dead end job these days. How does he keep a apartment if he has no source of income?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    They won't even let Peter have a dead end job these days. How does he keep a apartment if he has no source of income?
    How does he stick to walls?