Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: No More...

No more covers that have nothing to do with the story within - especially variant covers that don't even feature the title character.
    Kind of miss the "trailer" covers from the pre 90s that teased the story inside.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by ERON View Post
    No more covers that have nothing to do with the story within - especially variant covers that don't even feature the title character.
    I'm with you on that one. I have a particular hatred of theme month covers.

It's Gwen Stacy month so all the covers now feature Gwen Stacy dressing up as the main character! It's Inhumans month so the Inhumans are on all the covers and not the books. It's dachshund month so all the characters are dachunds for some reason on the cover.

I hate all that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm with you on that one. I have a particular hatred of theme month covers.

It's Gwen Stacy month so all the covers now feature Gwen Stacy dressing up as the main character! It's Inhumans month so the Inhumans are on all the covers and not the books. It's dachshund month so all the characters are dachunds for some reason on the cover.

I hate all that stuff.
    Agreed. I don't even know who those theme covers are directed towards. There obviously must be an audience or Marvel wouldn't do them... but I have never heard of anyone buying or even liking them. My LCS doesn't ever order variant covers unless specifically asked for, and he says he is never asked for those theme covers.

No more characters from before 1975.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    No more characters from before 1975.
    I'd go up to the early 80's. There are some cool characters that came up around then (She-Hulk, Quasar, Monica Rambeau, Kitty Pryde, Rogue - before they were ruined, it's true - etc). But that's it.

Peace

A bitter New Warriors fan MitchFox's Avatar

No more good guys turning evil or antagonistic jerks for no apparent reason other than cheap drama (e.g. Bishop in Messiah Complex, New Warriors in Outlawed, Iron Man in Civil War...)
    Tumblr: http://oxymitch.tumblr.com/

MITCH'S FAVOURITES - Speedball, Justice (Vance Astrovik), Gambit, Jubilee, Rogue, Wiccan, Speed, Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Quicksilver, She-Hulk, Cosmo

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    Agreed. I don't even know who those theme covers are directed towards. There obviously must be an audience or Marvel wouldn't do them... but I have never heard of anyone buying or even liking them. My LCS doesn't ever order variant covers unless specifically asked for, and he says he is never asked for those theme covers.
    Because they boost orders. Dynamite Comics once said they got extra sales on books thanks to all those variants that they do. Which is why you see their books and others with anywhere from 6-10 covers.

Or in some case it's the ONLY work they get at Marvel or DC-see Khary Randolph aside from Mosaic-everything he has done at Marvel has been covers.
    Jamal Campbell he got variant covers at almost every company.

For as much as folks complain about Marvel doing them-there are some books that toss out as many as 10 a month.

And to be HONEST these variant probably help the bin market more. I mean who wouldn't want Stanley Artgerm variant if you can get it from the bins for over 50% off to $1.00? Make great wall decorations.