Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

How could you forget Marvel Girl becoming Phoenix?

tz, X-Men flop fans in here.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

My serious answer would be:

Monet -> M-Plate

========================
    My less serious answer would be:

Penance (Yugoslavia) -> Penance (Monet) -> Penance (M Twins) -> Penance (Generation X) -> Penance (Hollow) -> Monet/Penance/???

I don't know how disruptive this is to the character or to the X-Men fandom as a whole, but it's personally very disruptive to me. ;P

========================

EDIT:

Oh, I suppose we should also mention Chamber's "Apocalypse" look and Husk suddenly going crazy with mental illness and powers problems (just Google Image search "husk marvel toad" if you need a reminder). Even the non-vampiric Gen X kids haven't had it easy since their book ended, though Krakoa reversed some of that (Skin and Synch).
    Last edited by Starleafgirl; 03-10-2022 at 01:44 AM.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    My serious answer would be:

Monet -> M-Plate

========================
    My less serious answer would be:

Penance (Yugoslavia) -> Penance (Monet) -> Penance (M Twins) -> Penance (Generation X) -> Penance (Hollow) -> Monet/Penance/???

I don't know how disruptive this is to the character or to the X-Men fandom as a whole, but it's personally very disruptive to me. ;P

========================

EDIT:

Oh, I suppose we should also mention Chamber's "Apocalypse" look and Husk suddenly going crazy with mental illness and powers problems (just Google Image search "husk marvel toad" if you need a reminder). Even the non-vampiric Gen X kids haven't had it easy since their book ended, though Krakoa reversed some of that (Skin and Synch).
    The M-plate thing didn't bother me, as it was an evolution and then it was kinda unmade.

The Penance thing is weird and it was already unnecessary when it happened and now it's just a mess. A cool looking mess but still.

Also the less said about Jono's Apocalypse's heritage the better.

Spectacular Member

The cosmetic change for Storm going "punk" in the '80's was a big deal at the time, with a lot of people split on the look. She was, after all, the leader of the most popular superhero team. Many thought she (it) was a poseur move because she was never punk rock. A lot of others liked it, and I think overall, most fans don't mind anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsmack View Post
    The cosmetic change for Storm going "punk" in the '80's was a big deal at the time, with a lot of people split on the look. She was, after all, the leader of the most popular superhero team. Many thought she (it) was a poseur move because she was never punk rock. A lot of others liked it, and I think overall, most fans don't mind anymore.
    I just hate how they keep going back to it. lol. When i found out about how it came about it worked it was a great story now it's used as a means of symbolism to show "We are going to write THAT storm" rather than letting the script do the talking. I swear when it happens now i just be thinking "Why can't ya'll just let that girl edges be." lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Gambit becoming blind, and then gaining clairvoyance.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    The M-plate thing didn't bother me, as it was an evolution and then it was kinda unmade.

The Penance thing is weird and it was already unnecessary when it happened and now it's just a mess. A cool looking mess but still.

Also the less said about Jono's Apocalypse's heritage the better.
    Yeah, the M-Plate thing bothered me at the time, but looking back on it, it was kind of cool.

The Penance thing was weird enough before Hickman, thanks a lot Hickman. >.>

Apoca-Jono remains terrible; they could've done something cool with it, but they didn't. At least it kept him alive in comics during an age where death for lower-tier mutants was permanent (and higher tier... Banshee was dead for a LONG time).

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Gambit becoming blind, and then gaining clairvoyance.

https://i.imgur.com/PSzCYir.jpg
    Oh my gosh!

I forgot about that!

Yeah, that was definitely surprising/abrupt.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Rogue, from villain to X-Man is a big thing though its been so long ago.

Bishop becoming a wanna kill a mutant baby murderer was another unbelievable change

Finally housewife and mother Madelyne becoming a Gobli Queen was also quite big.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Feel like Jubilee becoming a Vampire was less disruptive than her losing her powers in the first place. Most of the mutants that got fucked by M-Day really got disrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsontt View Post
    There are really abrupt changes in characterizations in the x-lore. A few x-treme makeovers, sometimes for the good sometimes for characters assassination.

Which has been the boldest move in that way?

Betsy going from British rose to ninja assassin.
    Moira going from a supportive human resource to a pragmatic mutant antiheroine.
    Maddie becoming Goblin Queen
    Jubilee becoming a vampire
    Xavier becoming a manipulative motherfucker after the mid 2000s
    Beast going from the heart and brains of the team to the reckless maniac in the last decade
    ^^^pretty much all of the above, though I got so used to Betsy as a ninja assassin it didn’t bother me any more. Moira was a great non-mutant ally so I def. dislike her retcon. Beast should never have left the Avengers. Or lose his sense of humor. Or become Dark Beast-Lite. Or turn into a cat. Or…

…but I digress,

The X-Men becoming a group of genocidal racist Cultists under Hickman takes the prize in the character assassination category though. I can’t see anything topping that any time soon.

Fantastic Member

from jokester Guido to murderer, bland, no reaction , killing the loved one of his best friends.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Jubilee becoming a vampire wasn't really a characterization twist, it was a powers twist.

Also, I think we can upgrade Moira to "genocidal villain" now.
    yeah that hardly ruined her in the way that the others arguably did

Spectacular Member

Colossus: Magic under Claremont.

Enter Scott Lobdell.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by crimsontt View Post
    There are really abrupt changes in characterizations in the x-lore. A few x-treme makeovers, sometimes for the good sometimes for characters assassination.

Which has been the boldest move in that way?

Betsy going from British rose to ninja assassin.
    Moira going from a supportive human resource to a pragmatic mutant antiheroine.
    Maddie becoming Goblin Queen
    Jubilee becoming a vampire
    Xavier becoming a manipulative motherfucker after the mid 2000s
    Beast going from the heart and brains of the team to the reckless maniac in the last decade
    I'll add Havok getting put in charge of the Uncanny Avengers, then inverted and becoming evil-ish man-bun Emma-savior/collaborater with Bastion then getting "cured" but actually becoming prone to moments of extreme psychosis while now being some kind of poodle for the goblin queen. Gah.

BANNED

Moira. Definitely Moira.

A character who, for DECADES, was defined as being one of the X-Men's most dependable and loyal baseline human allies. She was probably one of the single best examples of Xavier's Dream in action. And then, with a snap of a finger, (or the wave of a pen, as it were) literally EVERYTHING about her identity was undone in a single PANEL. No build up. No preamble. Hickman simply DECLARED it to be so.

And it's only gotten WORSE from there.