Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    3. Cannibal sandwiches? Demonic cats? Sentient snowmen? Christ, who came up with that crap and what psychotropic were they on when they did? I definitely could have used some reading last issue and parts of this one.
    This sort of stuff throws me, too.

Spider-man doesn't live in a Loony Tunes cartoon. The universe has to have some consistency and rules for it to work and this stuff immediately takes me out of the experience.

We're at the end of a redemption story about a guy who almost destroyed the world rediscovering what it means to be Spider-man. He's trying to restore his sense of heroism and self worth, as well as reconnect and reconcile with those who have been important to his past.

Furthermore, he's working for an evil corporation whose goal is to corrupt the notion of a hero, create their own villains and monetize the skirmishes between the two while also using them to cover their shadier business practices. They are actively altering Ben's very mind, a horrific thing to do to a guy specifically trying to regain his identity, to make him their puppet.

In the same issue (we believe) the company has mutated one of their own employees, Ben's friend, into a mutated Lizard/vampire hybrid because he failed them.

An evil sandwich does not fit. It's so ridiculous that it breaks the 4th wall for me.

Honestly, this series has been weirdly light throughout considering the concept and themes behind it. I get that comics can just be fun nonsense and that's fine. If a man-eating sandwich appeared in Chu I'd be laughing my ass off. Heck, if it happened in Spider-man/Deadpool I'm sure it would work (I didn't read that book, it's not for me).

But this doesn't really work in Spider-man's universe and definitely not in this story. Especially as we're almost at the end.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    This sort of stuff throws me, too.

Spider-man doesn't live in a Loony Tunes cartoon. The universe has to have some consistency and rules for it to work and this stuff immediately takes me out of the experience.

We're at the end of a redemption story about a guy who almost destroyed the world rediscovering what it means to be Spider-man. He's trying to restore his sense of heroism and self worth, as well as reconnect and reconcile with those who have been important to his past.

Furthermore, he's working for an evil corporation whose goal is to corrupt the notion of a hero, create their own villains and monetize the skirmishes between the two while also using them to cover their shadier business practices. They are actively altering Ben's very mind, a horrific thing to do to a guy specifically trying to regain his identity, to make him their puppet.

In the same issue (we believe) the company has mutated one of their own employees, Ben's friend, into a mutated Lizard/vampire hybrid because he failed them.

An evil sandwich does not fit. It's so ridiculous that it breaks the 4th wall for me.

Honestly, this series has been weirdly light throughout considering the concept and themes behind it. I get that comics can just be fun nonsense and that's fine. If a man-eating sandwich appeared in Chu I'd be laughing my ass off. Heck, if it happened in Spider-man/Deadpool I'm sure it would work (I didn't read that book, it's not for me).

But this doesn't really work in Spider-man's universe and definitely not in this story. Especially as we're almost at the end.
    I think those stupid villains were a reference to Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. There were many similar characters, and this was the first appearance of Beyond. But I agree with you, sandwiches are already too much.

BANNED

I remember some people were making a lot of noise about Nextwave at the time of Beyond's infancy, but the board didn't keep up that momentum and was just quietly forgotten about. The same thing happened with the Stingers. Just what was the point of Hobie?

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    I remember some people were making a lot of noise about Nextwave at the time of Beyond's infancy, but the board didn't keep up that momentum and was just quietly forgotten about. The same thing happened with the Stingers. Just what was the point of Hobie?
    Backdoor pilot

BANNED

I could be more forgiving about stuff like killer sandwiches and all the weird Beyond stuff if the Ben parts were stronger.

It was said this arc was planned in under 9 hours and it shows

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    I don't know, but Monica will have a one-shot and Slingers might be in issue 93 (I hope so).

Fantastic Member

So... what do we think will happen to Beyond at the end of this? Dunno if I see Maxine escaping unscathed, they might keep Beyond around for any future Nextwave stuff, I suppose.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by t-spider View Post
    So... what do we think will happen to Beyond at the end of this? Dunno if I see Maxine escaping unscathed, they might keep Beyond around for any future Nextwave stuff, I suppose.
    My guess is we get a "To be continued" type ending where Ben goes off to fight Beyond (hopefully in a new book solicited soon) on his own. A sensational solo title. Or maybe he'll need to recruit a team to help him. A team of warriors. Perhaps new ones.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    My guess is we get a "To be continued" type ending where Ben goes off to fight Beyond (hopefully in a new book solicited soon) on his own. A sensational solo title. Or maybe he'll need to recruit a team to help him. A team of warriors. Perhaps new ones.
    I think putting Ben on a team would help to differentiate his comic from any of Peter's comics. Whether it be New Warriors, Slingers, a new Nextwave -- I'd be game for just about anything.

-Pav, whose favorite cover of all time is New Warriors 62...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details