Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Default How would you reboot Superman?

Well The Batman came out recently and it got me thinking how should Superman be properly rebooted into the big screen. If you leave it to me I just do an adaptation of Morrison's first Action Comics arc. Superman and the Men of Steel. What about you guys? What can be done to make him popular again?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I would first do a animated movie..big budget..so that people can get behind the brand again..have them talking.Brand building and all that.Then maybe live action.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Probably with some treads. Not chunky ones like you'd expect from Black Canary, but not a thin layer of rubber on the sole.

Oh, we're not doing dad jokes.

T-Shirt Superman would be the material I adapt loosely, looking to Siegel/Shuster and moving towards iconic by the end.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Astonishing Member

The first and most important thing is to have a Superman who believes in himself. He (Clark/Kal) is Superman- not Jonathan Kent, not Lois, not Jor-El. Superman needs to drive the story

I prefer Superboy as a debut simply because I just don't see Clark as someone who can stand aside once his powers emerge and I never cared for the idea Kryptonian powers emerge later in life. But I'd try to work out something like his using his powers covertly for a few years so his debut was in Metropolis and after his 18th birthday at the earliest.

The decision to be Superman needs to be Clark's not the result of fulfilling the Kent's expectations or a holographic message from Jor-El/Lara. He isn't here with a mission, he's here doing what comes naturally to him. While it might require some sacrifices on his art, being Superman shouldn't be seen as a burden he carries. No "I just want to be a regular Joe with everyday problems" or "I have to save everyone so i can never have a moment to myself".

I'd want the movie to be a debut of Superman, but not an origin. We don't see Krypton or hear it's name. We meet a Clark who is already aware of his powers. This isn't a hero's journey where we see him becoming Superman. This is a story about a man who changes the world rather than is changed by it. Superman from the first scene is pretty much the Superman at the end of the film. It's people like Lex Luthor, Lois Lane, James Olsen ... and how they change because of Superman.

I'd forget about the whole iconic Metropolis, Daily Planet, Lois and Jimmy and Perry setting and go with a teenage Superman time traveling into the future with the Legion of Super Heroes set up instead. Frankly I think Superman in live action films needs to get pretty far away from the old status quo for a bit while still staying true to the character and mythos. Give the brand some time to put the old toys to rest for a few years or so, shake things up, get people interested again. Superman in space in the future with other heroes not part of the Justice League is as far as you can get to what most people think of when they think Superman, so it's refreshing, while also giving fans something still traditionally rooted in Superman-ness. You should be able to string together at least 2 or better really strong films with that set up before it's time to worry about bringing him back to the past-present and the usual status quo. So yeah, I'd start with teen Clark becoming Superman with the Legion. It's good, simple, fun, and if DC finds a way to suck the fun out of that concept then they really are incapable of getting the character.

And then, some years later when it's time to go back to earth and "now" and Metropolis I'd just smush Birthright and Man and Superman into a working script and film from there.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I would first do a animated movie..big budget..so that people can get behind the brand again..have them talking.Brand building and all that.Then maybe live action.
    100% this.

If nothing else, gets the kids invested in the character again. Parents will take them and you can maybe get them re-interested that way.

I also feel animation is more versatile media where Superman can get into more imaginative and inventive situations. Look at Into the Spider-Verse.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    100% this.

If nothing else, gets the kids invested in the character again. Parents will take them and you can maybe get them re-interested that way.

I also feel animation is more versatile media where Superman can get into more imaginative and inventive situations. Look at Into the Spider-Verse.
    Yeah, I was gonna say "make your own timeline that's not an existing universe". And... a TV series is the easy way to do that. Honestly, it's worked reasonably well in the past.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, I was gonna say "make your own timeline that's not an existing universe".
    Oh, definitely separate. We need a Superman that, for all intents and purposes, exists in his own universe. At least for a while.

I feel DC's structure is Batman, then Superman as a stepping stone to justice League. It's been happening since the 90's.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

Honestly, I'd just like to see a more detailed and extended version of what we saw in that episode from the first season of Superman & Lois where it flashbacked to when he first arrived in Metropolis, got a job at the Planet, met Lois, and debuted as Superman. Everything just seemed so natural there, from the flow of the story, to the chemistry, to certain character beats, etc. Even Supes wearing his underwear on the outside of his costume didn't seem that odd. And let's not forget that crest with the black background. That has to be the most beautiful Superman suit I've ever seen in live action.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I'd probably adapt Hernan Guerra from Gods and Monsters. It could be a one off like Joker.

But the Year 2/Early days angle is fine. I'd avoid Luthor or Zod and just use the other lesser known villians like Mongul, Ultra-humanite, Parasite, Puzzler, Mr. Myztlzplix, Conduit etc.

I thought about doing Jon as the lead but outside of S&L I never got into him.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-10-2022 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    The first and most important thing is to have a Superman who believes in himself. He (Clark/Kal) is Superman- not Jonathan Kent, not Lois, not Jor-El. Superman needs to drive the story

I prefer Superboy as a debut simply because I just don't see Clark as someone who can stand aside once his powers emerge and I never cared for the idea Kryptonian powers emerge later in life. But I'd try to work out something like his using his powers covertly for a few years so his debut was in Metropolis and after his 18th birthday at the earliest.

The decision to be Superman needs to be Clark's not the result of fulfilling the Kent's expectations or a holographic message from Jor-El/Lara. He isn't here with a mission, he's here doing what comes naturally to him. While it might require some sacrifices on his art, being Superman shouldn't be seen as a burden he carries. No "I just want to be a regular Joe with everyday problems" or "I have to save everyone so i can never have a moment to myself".

I'd want the movie to be a debut of Superman, but not an origin. We don't see Krypton or hear it's name. We meet a Clark who is already aware of his powers. This isn't a hero's journey where we see him becoming Superman. This is a story about a man who changes the world rather than is changed by it. Superman from the first scene is pretty much the Superman at the end of the film. It's people like Lex Luthor, Lois Lane, James Olsen ... and how they change because of Superman.
    Absolutely this. AAAAAAALLLLL of this.

Also: Morrison's Action run is good, but I still like the idea of basing a film off of a grouping of the early Golden Age comics together into one narrative, which is what the 1990 TMNT movie did. And frankly, the Golden Age Superman would resonate with people on a level that I don't even think I fully comprehend, and I've been a champion of the idea for a solid decade+ at this point.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Retired

Camera tracks in on all a small white puppy-dog running through some unidentified city, as buildings crash down around him. He's searching, searching, then catches the sight of something. He leaps up to the top of a tower as it's about to fall, then leaps further until he is in outer space, as behind him a world falls apart. Then he's sucked through a hole in space and tumbles through weird dimensions until he arrives at the edge of a solar system and flies toward the sun. As he gets closer to the sun, the solar system becomes familiar--Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Earth! The white dog, having grown in size, falls through the atmosphere of our planet and hits the ground, leaving a big dent in the Earth. He shakes off the dirt and starts across the landscape, passing through towns and cities, welcomed by some, rejected by others, yet always moving on, picking up the scent of someone he needs to find. Finally, the dog arrives on a farm. A dusty farmer bends down to welcome the white dog, who licks his face. Then the dog's ears perk up, his eyes go wide. He runs, faster than any dog has ever run and right through the wall of the farmhouse into the bedroom, where a baby lies in a crib, a mobile of stars and planets above him. Camera pushes in on the infant's face, as his eyes open wide and one word comes from his lips--"Krypto!"

edit: live action (with some photo realistic imaging)
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 03-10-2022 at 12:59 PM.

Incredible Member

I don't think that animated films really work to address the main theme. We have these movies all the time,
    we go and watch them, but the broader public largely ignores them.

I think you need a Metropolis centered story. Something early into the tenure at the Daily Planet.
    I want Perry White, Jimmy, Lois and the whole team from the newspaper. Clark with a fedora. Try to avoid having
    Lex Luthor, save him for later films.

Astonishing Member

I also agree that a Metropolis/Planet centered film would be highly preferable. I can go either way on Lex being in the first one. It's high time Brainiac make his film debut. And I think you can do this relatively easily within the first year of his arrival in Metropolis. Superman '78 practically gave us a blueprint for just how good it can be.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    You mean a la Spiderverse?