Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Honestly, making a Superman movie sounds like a bad idea period.

He doesn’t need something big and bombastic. He just needs something consistent like a cartoon.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

If we were to do a reboot and if it needs to start at an origin, use the basics of Morrison's first Action arc. T-shirt and jeans social crusader, levels up and gets his classic costume by the end, Brainiac as the main villain with Metallo as his muscle, etc. Keep Lex as a side villain for now or remove his direct involvement entirely and just hint at him, while beefing up Lois's role.

Or if it's year 2 and he's somewhat established, go for a more Silver Age tone as far as high concept adventure goes, and I'd still use Brainiac as the villain.

Either way, even with the origin film, don't go into the nitty gritty of Krypton exploding and the Kents. We already know. Have Clark himself be Superman without knowing his Kryptonian roots until later. I think it'd be important for an adaptation to stress the idea that Clark has the conviction and passion to be Superman because he has the power and it needs to be done, regardless of what his origins are. Throw AI Ghost Dad Jor-El in the trash please.

Also, Lex is unavoidable to be used, but absolutely no appearances by Zod, Doomsday or Darkseid (keep in in the Fourth World IP). Let's see Brainiac, Ultra Humanite, Bizarro, Metallo, Parasite, Toyman, Mxy, etc. If we need Phantom Zone criminals, use Xa-Du instead.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    If we were to do a reboot and if it needs to start at an origin, use the basics of Morrison's first Action arc. T-shirt and jeans social crusader, levels up and gets his classic costume by the end, Brainiac as the main villain with Metallo as his muscle, etc. Keep Lex as a side villain for now or remove his direct involvement entirely and just hint at him, while beefing up Lois's role.

Or if it's year 2 and he's somewhat established, go for a more Silver Age tone as far as high concept adventure goes, and I'd still use Brainiac as the villain.

Either way, even with the origin film, don't go into the nitty gritty of Krypton exploding and the Kents. We already know. Have Clark himself be Superman without knowing his Kryptonian roots until later. I think it'd be important for an adaptation to stress the idea that Clark has the conviction and passion to be Superman because he has the power and it needs to be done, regardless of what his origins are. Throw AI Ghost Dad Jor-El in the trash please.

Also, Lex is unavoidable to be used, but absolutely no appearances by Zod, Doomsday or Darkseid (keep in in the Fourth World IP). Let's see Brainiac, Ultra Humanite, Bizarro, Metallo, Parasite, Toyman, Mxy, etc. If we need Phantom Zone criminals, use Xa-Du instead.
    Sorry but I would put Lex in the bench too. Dude needs to be put away for a while unless you have Bizarro, Metallo or Parasite as the muscle villain.

Extraordinary Member

No more evil Kryptonians. It's gotten to the point that other than the El family, Kryptonians are genetically inclined to being evil.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I definitely think effort needs to go into ensuring that Clark and Superman not only act differently, but look as different as can "reasonably" be expected, and I love the idea of using Slam Bradley as an inspiration for the super squint. Different voice and inflection, body language, vocabulary, different haircut....really treat it as two different roles and do everything possible to make them distinct from each other.

I dunno. It could work, as the Home trilogy shows, but "origin" to me says "rookie mistakes" and "figuring it out" and I think after the self-doubt of Snyder's films, maybe we need a guy who's already got it together and is past that kind of early stage stumbling blocks?

I still think that worrying about anything other than the film you're currently on is a mistake, especially when at least half of DC's films are unwatchable. Flight could be a cool moment in the third Act, akin to Smashes the Klan, but I feel like that'd be something to worry about later, once the tone and vibe of the film and the basic story had been settled. See if it fits and if it works, and run with it if it does.

The OG power levels aren't what people expect from Superman, but they still remember the days when he could only leap tall buildings, and I think audiences would enjoy a less powerful but scrappier Superman...but it's hard not to feel good when you see Clark lift into the air for the first time. And as always, thanks for the compliment!
    Hell if we’re looking to The Batman as a guide, and Morrison Action as a blueprint, why not make it so it’s a movie where Superman is questioning the worth of “Clark Kent”? He loves being Superman so much, it’s fulfilling for him in a way that “Clark” isn’t, and he’s seriously considering just tossing Clark out and being Superman 24/7. Instead of weepy self-doubting Superman you get a Superman who is cocky to the point of recklessness, who thinks he’s invincible and infallible, and has a very poor grasp of self-control because he’s eager to cut loose after a lifetime of repressing himself.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I'm sorry but i think we need to stay away from Lex at least until the second movie. Or keep himn the background if they adapt Superman and the Men of Steel. But Lex needs to be put in a. Bench for a while. Way to many movies as him as the villain. We need new blood. We still haven't had Brainiac as the main villain in a Superman movie guys.
    I can understand that view, but my point is we really haven’t had Lex on the big screen yet. Whoever those guys were, they weren’t Lex. And he’s a fascinating character who deserves better.

But yeah, there are plenty of other great villains who should get their time, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    I can understand that view, but my point is we really haven’t had Lex on the big screen yet. Whoever those guys were, they weren’t Lex. And he’s a fascinating character who deserves better.

But yeah, there are plenty of other great villains who should get their time, too.
    I'm sorry but Lex needs a break. We need to use other Superman villains and they also deserve some time in the limelight. Lex can afford to take a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hell if we’re looking to The Batman as a guide, and Morrison Action as a blueprint, why not make it so it’s a movie where Superman is questioning the worth of “Clark Kent”? He loves being Superman so much, it’s fulfilling for him in a way that “Clark” isn’t, and he’s seriously considering just tossing Clark out and being Superman 24/7. Instead of weepy self-doubting Superman you get a Superman who is cocky to the point of recklessness, who thinks he’s invincible and infallible, and has a very poor grasp of self-control because he’s eager to cut loose after a lifetime of repressing himself.
    That would only work as the plot of a second movie when Clark is established.

Also might I add we avoid having Lois Lane as the love interest at the begging and use someone new(Lana, ect) ir have no romantic love interests at all and focus on developing Superman.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Sorry but I would put Lex in the bench too. Dude needs to be put away for a while unless you have Bizarro, Metallo or Parasite as the muscle villain.
    Lex getting a bit of a break would be nice, but realistically it would never happen. Doomsday, Darkseid and Zod are expendable and can be skipped, but Lex is pretty much the third most important character after Clark and Lois and he's expected to be there. Maybe we could do one movie without him, but if it gets a sequel, a film series without him is just not happening.

But yes Lex either partnered with Brainiac or having a muscle villain would be optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I'd start with Clark joining the Legion as Vakanai suggested. It would be different while also covering Superman's beginnings as hero.
    Yay! A person liked my idea!
    (sometimes when you throw an idea out there and no one responds to it it's disappointing, so thanks).

The only problem for me with a Legion of Superheroes origin movie for Clark is I don't know as much about them - my LoSH exposure is all from their animated appearances. So I don't really know which members would work best alongside Clark or who the major villain should be. Still I like the idea of Superman in the future and/or space, learning the ropes as a teen before all the iconic trappings and cast of Metropolis. Plus it leans into the sci-fi fantasy elements and visuals which I think is part of the fun of Superman but doesn't get as adapted often in film form. Plus this allows you to still have a viable LoSH film franchise spin off once Clark returns to our time after movie #2 or 3. And there's absolutely no way they can shoehorn Lex or Zod into the 31st-ish century (I hope).

Curious what people think would be a good LoSH cast and villain for a first movie with Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Lex getting a bit of a break would be nice, but realistically it would never happen. Doomsday, Darkseid and Zod are expendable and can be skipped, but Lex is pretty much the third most important character after Clark and Lois and he's expected to be there. Maybe we could do one movie without him, but if it gets a sequel, a film series without him is just not happening.

But yes Lex either partnered with Brainiac or having a muscle villain would be optimal.
    He needs to be benched for the first movie and only be limited to 1 and he needs to be backed by Parasite, Metallo or Bizarro. Brianiac can carry a movie on his own, he doesn't need Lex. But I would use a villain that ain't Zod as the first movie villain. Parasite could work.

Just some ideas:
    The Kents and Olsens are related and Jimmy got his "cousin" Clark a job at the Daily Planet.
    Metallo is from Smallville and had feelings for Lana Lang.
    Doomsday is a Kryptonian adventurer whos crashed ship was founded by Darkseid's people and he was experimented on by them.
    Nuclear Man is Lex's brother Lo (short for Apollo) Luthor who try to run his own empire (or the Luthor family have investments) involving Nuclear energy.
    Manchester Black powers came from experiments that was being funded by LexCorp.

Edit: didn't realize this was just for a movie.
    Last edited by Mutant God; 03-12-2022 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I definitely think effort needs to go into ensuring that Clark and Superman not only act differently, but look as different as can "reasonably" be expected, and I love the idea of using Slam Bradley as an inspiration for the super squint. Different voice and inflection, body language, vocabulary, different haircut....really treat it as two different roles and do everything possible to make them distinct from each other.
    Definitely. I want to lean heavily on Golden Age, with Clark's eyes wider most of the time and mouth a bit open, and Superman's jaw set and his eyes narrow; Clark's movements slow and Superman's have a smoother "snap" to them (again, drawing from Fleischer)

I dunno. It could work, as the Home trilogy shows, but "origin" to me says "rookie mistakes" and "figuring it out" and I think after the self-doubt of Snyder's films, maybe we need a guy who's already got it together and is past that kind of early stage stumbling blocks?

I still think that worrying about anything other than the film you're currently on is a mistake, especially when at least half of DC's films are unwatchable. Flight could be a cool moment in the third Act, akin to Smashes the Klan, but I feel like that'd be something to worry about later, once the tone and vibe of the film and the basic story had been settled. See if it fits and if it works, and run with it if it does.

The OG power levels aren't what people expect from Superman, but they still remember the days when he could only leap tall buildings, and I think audiences would enjoy a less powerful but scrappier Superman...but it's hard not to feel good when you see Clark lift into the air for the first time. And as always, thanks for the compliment!
    I'd think of it like this: make a movie that's solid on it's own that needs no others, but do have a larger plan. That way, if you get one movie, fine. But if you get more? Even better.

As for flying, I'd say leaping for 2/3rds of the film, and in the 3rd/4th act he's desperate to get to where he needs to be and leaps so hard his eyes close and then he... just stops falling. Then we get elation on top of everything as Superman flies toward the final challenge. I also think he should have a VERY strong connection to children (my origin idea says why, but it's not absolutely necessary) and they create his 2nd costume. The first is wrecked beyond belief and he's recovering in a hospital - adults haven't seen him much as he's kept out of sight, but kids have and they start sending in drawings saying "get well Superman" - so the city picks one and makes him a new costume from it (the first being a circus costume that looks like the cover of Action 1, the 2nd being the classic, revealed at the end). What I'm thinking is almost entirely a reverse of what's usually done: he's not seen as a symbol of hope and that makes him become Superman, he becomes Superman to help others and that leads people to see him as a symbol of hope (if they do, that is).

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Instead of weepy self-doubting Superman you get a Superman who is cocky to the point of recklessness, who thinks he’s invincible and infallible, and has a very poor grasp of self-control because he’s eager to cut loose after a lifetime of repressing himself.
    I very much like this general idea. If I had to pick four words that I want to describe Superman in the next films, it's "sheer force of will". He's generally pretty on target in his estimations, and he's got enough oomph to "power" his way through the rest that he relies on that. Not too reckless, but not holding back (at least not in the first film) and that doesn't always work in his favor (though he's excellent at recovering, generally). And I'm good with him juggling bad guys, Fleischer-style: he doesn't need to intimidate the way Batman does, he can do it on a whole other level. "If you soil yourself again, I'll drop you" would be a fun line.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Fist costume should be the T-shirt and jeans look. I think it works great in modern times before the classic suit. But you guys haven't talked about the tone...i don't think super serious like Snyder was trying to do works.

Fist costume should be the T-shirt and jeans look. I think it works great in modern times before the classic suit. But you guys haven't talked about the tone...i don't think super serious like Snyder was trying to do works.
    I love the t-shirt and jeans look, but my idea is for the first movie to be a period piece - plus (at least for my idea), the kids sending in drawings of Superman that look vaguely like the classic costume makes the most sense if the first suit is as close to it as the Action 1 cover suit is. However, throwing that idea out, yeah - I'm fine with the t-shirt and jeans suit being used for a 1st film.

As for tone, definitely not Snyder. "Superman and Lois" is a pretty good idea for tone, but I'd like to see something that's more like the first WW film - serious enough, but knows how to have fun and has a LOT of it. And absolutely full-on with the power fantasy side. It needs to be enjoyable.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/