Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Aka, a troll. Nothing but a troll.
    Mmmm.....no. Not worth the ban.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Dude. He just told you why what you said is false. Just because a company is number one in any given industry doesn't mean that it doesn't have competition. In order to have "no competition," Marvel would have to have either a literal or virtual monopoly on the comic book industry. And, given the fact that DC and Marvel, for several decades, have maintained near equal shares of the market means that Marvel, well, does not have a monopoly on the comic book market..because DC's got another sizable chunk of it and is therefore competing with Marvel. That's just basic fact.
    I could continue this, but won't.
    Let's leave it with: we have a very different interpretation of the word compete.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Let's leave it with: we have a very different interpretation of the word compete.
    Yes. And no offense, but ours just happens to be the factual one. I mean, Stan Lee himself even referred to DC as "the Distinguished Competition.”
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 03-20-2022 at 12:23 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Yes, one is weird made up definition in your head...and the other is the one that literally everyone else in the world knows and uses.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Why are some people so desperate to believe that DC is failing?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Why are some people so desperate to believe that DC is failing?
    To justify whatever agendas they may have.

Mainly investing or trying certain stuff with CERTAIN characters is bad for business.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Yes. And no offense, but ours just happens to be the factual one. I mean, Stan Lee himself even referred to DC as "the Distinguished Competition.”
    He also referred to them as Brand Echs.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Also, as a business, DC is basically expected to experience troughs and peaks cyclically.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Oops, sorry wrong thread

According to my research, this past February was the first time in quite sometime Marvel and DC even acknowledged each others’ existence.

Mighty Member

Unpopular Opinions:

My weakness as a comics reader is that I’ve been doing this so long that bigger heroes bore me fast and I become instantly attached to just about any C/D-list character I meet, read all their appearances, and then be mad that they’re so cool and no one else seems to notice

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The thing is regarding sales, we just don't have accurate numbers. That's the way it is now and that's the way it's always been. Actual sales figures aren't made public so we don't actually know how much DC is generating in revenue and we don't even know what the costs of running the business is.

And it's important to note that there was a time that DC wasn't even second to Marvel. In the early to mid-90s, Image was a firm number two (2) to Marvel and DC wasn't shuttered.

Point is, if DC wasn't doing well enough to survive, WB would have shut it down by now. Period. They don't have to keep DC comics to maintain their copyrights (there are other ways to keep characters published that doesn't involve running an entire comics line). For DC to still be around in their current form, it means they are doing well enough to keep themselves afloat and thriving.
    Since DC and WB are public companies, MOST of those Monetary Value Totals are made available for Potential Shareholders....so....yeah....while they might hid specific Sales numbers, they openly report how their various teams do in several Monetary Values....

Else, THEY WOULD HAVE NO SHAREHOLDERS....

Edit: This might be addressed after comment #117, but I held my fingers back enough at this point lol
    If you are going to refute, you need to do your own research.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by gambit2051 View Post
    Since DC and WB are public companies, MOST of those Monetary Value Totals are made available for Potential Shareholders....so....yeah....while they might hid specific Sales numbers, they openly report how their various teams do in several Monetary Values....

Else, THEY WOULD HAVE NO SHAREHOLDERS....

Edit: This might be addressed after comment #117, but I held my fingers back enough at this point lol
    You are correct.

I would suspect the actual numbers for DC comics would be lumped in with something else like the novels and OGns. Since I think some of those positions share the same duties. At least the assistant editors do.

Isn’t it entirely possible that any metric you could use to measure Marvel vs DC would be different each month and, therefore, not reliable at all?

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Unpopular Opinions:

My weakness as a comics reader is that I’ve been doing this so long that bigger heroes bore me fast and I become instantly attached to just about any C/D-list character I meet, read all their appearances, and then be mad that they’re so cool and no one else seems to notice
    The best part is when you find out about their comic only for it to get cancelled as soon as you start reading it... then wonder why no one knew about this book.