Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Former DC Comics Artist Shane Davis Says DC Comics’ Days Are Numbered

https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/...medias-office/

Don't like the sound of this article
    People still go to Bounding for something other than laughs?
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    And since we are playing the sky is falling-lets look at Amazon and see who is on top there???

Best Sellers Super Hero trades is NOTHING but DC books. Mainly Batman.
    22 Marvel and DC 62 (only 8 were NOT Bat books).
    What about Kindle???
    16 DC books (and only 2 were a Batman book) 28 Marvel

So between the trades and Kindle DC had 78 books with 22 NOT Batman. Among them were Naomi, Superman, Wonder Woman, Fables, Hellblazer, Sandman, DMZ, Beast Boy, Raven, JLA, Nubia and Far Sector.
    Marvel had 50 (8 being Spider-Man and family, 8 X-Men, 2 Black Panther, 2 Eternals) with this being one of the FEW times Miles Morales, GOTG & Jane Foster NOT in the top 100.

Young Adult Super Hero
    15 DC (7 Batman & Raven/Beast Boy three times)
    21 Marvel (Avengers, X-Men, Moon Girl, Riri & Cho Hulk are there)

Best Sellers in Young Adult Coming of Age Comics & Graphic Novels
    DC 16
    Marvel ZERO

So where is the thread for Marvel ceases to be a credible competitor to DC? Because DC is taking Marvel to the woodshed right now on Amazon.

Now if you want to say DC DOES have an issue lets look at this category on Amazon
    Best Sellers in Children's Superhero Fiction
    DC 7 (4 Batman 2 WW & one Batgirl & Robin)
    Marvel 26 (6 Peter Parker, 2 Miles Morales, 3 Peter & Miles & Gwen, Nick Fury, Cap America, Avengers, 1 Black Panther, 1 Black Panther, Peter, Miles & Gwen)

Oh for those wondering the top selling Green Lantern was Jo and Jessica Cruz's OGN.
    Your top selling Flash? Wally West of the Mark Waid era.
    Yet another visceral emotional response.

The sky is not falling, DC is simply no longer a credible competitor to Marvel (The sky is falling or DC is dying would be a scenario where it's market share falls to that of Image comics)

A couple of things to point out...

1) The Amazon page that you are referring to where Batman dominates sales (Amazon.ca) is the Canadian version, not (Amazon.com) where sales are dominated by Japanese tpb's & graphic novels.

2) TPB & graphic novels combined only make up approximately 35% of the overall market share of comics.

3) I do believe comichub's pos system takes digital Amazon sales into account

Being competitive means your going toe to toe with Marvel on monthly sales not TPB.

Shane Davis is now a disgruntled former employee. Nice art, but his opinions (or EVS's even) on DC are just that - opinions of bitter former employees.

Monthly comic business is extremely niche. Too many indy/emo writers writing superhero stories (that should be more idealistic) full of angst and cynicism for a couple of decades now. The comics division of DC & Marvel are merely IP farms.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    That site is not a credible source (and is a propaganda mill for They Who Must Not Be Named, if you need an example).
    Also worth noting the Bleeding Cool will also exaggerate details to make it look grim for DC, as well.
    Not because they have a particular hate for DC. They seem to do it with Marvel, also.
    I think they just dislike corporate comics.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    the second part the data speaks for itself
    You have no data, dude. No one outside of DC's bean counters have at this point. ICV2, Comichron and whatnot are, concerning DC, informed guesses masquerading as data. You may as well be right and DC may be on it's last days, but "site with charts on the internet" is meaningless now.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    what's the point of this thread?
    To beat a dead horse with insufficient data because it’s confirmation biased towards the OP’s opinion on the state of DC Comics.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    You have no data, dude. No one outside of DC's bean counters have at this point. ICV2, Comichron and whatnot are, concerning DC, informed guesses masquerading as data. You may as well be right and DC may be on it's last days, but "site with charts on the internet" is meaningless now.
    Hmmm, interesting, yet another visceral emotional response.

1. You misquote me "I never said DC was on it's last days, I said they were no longer competitive with Marvel"

2. You try to invalidate the empirical evidence from Comichron and ICv2 which are based on point of sales, order numbers & receipts.

Hmmm, interesting, yet another visceral emotional response.
    Hahahha, no. You'd know if I ever had a visceral, emotional response, believe me.

1. You misquote me "I never said DC was on it's last days, I said they were no longer competitive with Marvel"
    Ok. I am given to hyperbole, sure.

2. You try to invalidate the empirical evidence from Comichron and ICv2 which are based on point of sales, order numbers & receipts.
    Yes, I do believe that ICV2, Comichron and everyone else doing this kind of work, no matter how hard they try, are really clueless since DC left Diamond. I've also seen several DC writers and artists claiming they don't have access to actual sales numbers - and there are a few of them here in the boards, they're free to correct me if I'´m wrong. Now, if the guy writing Flash doesn't know how much Flash sells, I don't think you can give him an accurate answer typing "icv2.com" on your browser of choice, no.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Hahahha, no. You'd know if I ever had a visceral, emotional response, believe me.

Ok. I am given to hyperbole, sure.

Yes, I do believe that ICV2, Comichron and everyone else doing this kind of work, no matter how hard they try, are really clueless since DC left Diamond. I've also seen several DC writers and artists claiming they don't have access to actual sales numbers - and there are a few of them here in the boards, they're free to correct me if I'´m wrong. Now, if the guy writing Flash doesn't know how much Flash sells, I don't think you can give him an accurate answer typing "icv2.com" on your browser of choice, no.
    Please scroll through the whole thread before responding. I'm not going to endlessly repeat my myself on why the data is valid.

It's interesting how when people don't like the current state of affairs they try to deny the empirical evidence.

I'm sure if DC was railroading Marvel in sales right now those same people would suddenly have a change in heart and embrace the numbers.

Titles get cancelled because they don't sell, and Comichron and ICv2 have always been a good predictor of this, by the sales numbers they've posted.

Please scroll through the whole thread before responding. I'm not going to endlessly repeat my myself on why the data is valid.
    Nty. I already looked over how the sales “data” has been garnered on these sites since DC left Diamond quite a few times. I already cross referenced it with as many creatives statements as I could, looked over DC’s plans to see which side had more credibility and so on. The data is not valid, because it’s barely data.

It's interesting how when people don't like the current state of affairs they try to deny the empirical evidence.
    You seem to really like repeating “empirical evidence”. It’s ok, I like repeating that I am the “unchallenged master of my domain”, too. As my wife says, repeating it a lot doesn’t make it a fact.

I'm sure if DC was railroading Marvel in sales right now those same people would suddenly have a change in heart and embrace the numbers.
    Hm. I don’t know if you’re talking specifically about me on this section, but if you are, you’re pretty close to calling me intellectually dishonest. I suggest you don’t.

Titles get cancelled because they don't sell, and Comichron and ICv2 have always been a good predictor of this, by the sales numbers they've posted.
    Yes. Comichron and specially ICV2 were for many years great tools to analyze sales numbers. Now, concerning DC, they’re not. Shit changes, it’s life.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    I see people crapping on I Am Batman on comicbookroundup.com with bad ratings and I doubt they even read the book. They just dislike Jace and likely never gave him a chance.
    Comicbookorundup is full of review bombing and comicsgate jerkoff.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Comicbookorundup is full of review bombing and comicsgate jerkoff.
    Actually, most negative reviews for the last issue weren't people who just left a 1 rating (that significantly sink a book's rating), so it's possible those are just people who read the book and don't like it, rather than people who actively want to damage the book's ranking (otherwise why leave a rating of 4 instead of 1?)
    Each book gets its fair share of negative reviews because some people don't like the art/writing/overall direction of the book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superheroes for hire View Post
    Shane Davis is now a disgruntled former employee. Nice art, but his opinions (or EVS's even) on DC are just that - opinions of bitter former employees.
    Why is it when former employees have something critical to say about their former company and have the insight to see things aren't as they should be, it's them being 'bitter' and that nothing could possibly ever be wrong at these companies? They're more inclined to know more about what's going on than you or I are.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Why is it when former employees have something critical to say about their former company and have the insight to see things aren't as they should be, it's them being 'bitter' and that nothing could possibly ever be wrong at these companies? They're more inclined to know more about what's going on than you or I are.
    Because most of the time it is total BS, and this time is especially so. Hot-Desking isn't some "end is nigh" sign its an increasingly popular trend in business, so that DC is using that strategy while their new offices are being constructed (and might use it again even when their new office is completed) isn't a negative at all.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!