Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    the sample size isn't 3000 stores though...
    These are unit and dollar sales rankings based on sales tracked at point-of-sale by the ComicHub system at stores selling American comics around the world. During the period for which these reports were generated, there were over 100 stores using the ComicHub system. As this is a small, non-random sample of over 3,000 stores selling American comics worldwide, these rankings may not be typical for all stores, but do represent a variety of locations and store emphases.
    As stated in ICv2

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    No, but we have enough data to give us a good reflection that DC comics isn't selling well. (certainly by my standards growing up)
    Marvel isn't selling well by the standards of most of us growing up either - comics industry is a niche market of shrinking adults. They're just doing marginally better than DC even by your data, and you're data isn't even good.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

As stated in ICv2
    It's 100 stores of those 3000.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

It's 100 stores of those 3000.
    You appear to be correct.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

You appear to be correct.
    Do you see now why people were saying that the stats weren't saying exactly what you seemed to think they were saying?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Do you see now why people were saying that the stats weren't saying exactly what you seemed to think they were saying?
    Yes and no. No one challenged me with links to look at, and....

there was a lot of false allegations, of stating things I did not state. I do think a lot of the negativity is a result of political positions, as a result of discovering undesirable people like this guy.

In which people are accusing or defending DC comic sales based on gender/diversity politics.

Yes and no. No one challenged me with links to look at, and....

there was a lot of false allegations, of stating things I did not state. I do think a lot of the negativity is a result of political positions, as a result of discovering undesirable people like this guy.

In which people are accusing or defending DC comic sales based on gender/diversity politics.

...literally no one in this thread has brought any of that stuff here. No one has gotten political in any way. This is just very weird trolling. You come here with bad data talking about how DC has fallen so far it's no longer a competitor to Marvel, just to stir the pot, and when people show your data isn't reliable or worthwhile you try and change topics over about the comicsgate trolls when nothing anyone in this thread has said is even tangentially related beyond the fact it's both connected to comic books.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    ...literally no one in this thread has brought any of that stuff here. No one has gotten political in any way. This is just very weird trolling. You come here with bad data talking about how DC has fallen so far it's no longer a competitor to Marvel, just to stir the pot, and when people show your data isn't reliable or worthwhile you try and change topics over about the comicsgate trolls when nothing anyone in this thread has said is even tangentially related beyond the fact it's both connected to comic books.
    Chill out, it's only comic books, the thread is done.

Chill out, it's only comic books, the thread is done.
    I assure you I am chill. I'm laid back in a recliner, tv on, tablet in hand, full belly. Life is good. Doesn't mean that I'm not gonna point at the troll when I see one. Chill out man, it's only the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I assure you I am chill. I'm laid back in a recliner, tv on, tablet in hand, full belly. Life is good. Doesn't mean that I'm not gonna point at the troll when I see one. Chill out man, it's only the internet.
    Not trolling, I still feel the data provides a good sense of DC sales.

Good. Than you'll be relaxed and won't feel the need to keep responding, cheers.

Good. Than you'll be relaxed and won't feel the need to keep responding, cheers.
    It provides nothing as has been pointed out several times in this thread. Put the spoon down.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

No one challenged me with links to look at, and....
    Yeah, there was no need.

You provided the link yourself.

It was ICV2.

Other people just pointed out what was actually written on it.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    It provides nothing as has been pointed out several times in this thread. Put the spoon down.
    It seems people are judging the sample and icv2 too harshly. Is this sample perfect? Of course not. Far from it. There are serious problems with it, but it can still give us some indication regarding physical sales in comics stores in NA.
    Are there other ways for people to buy comics? Sure. But comics stores were still ahead of online sales or other ways to purchase monthly comics -https://www.comichron.com/yearlycomicssales/industrywide/2020-industrywide.html
    The sample size that icv2 uses isn't huge, but is still sufficient to draw statistics. A maxium sample is often 1000 or no more than 10% of the population, and most of the research is conducted on small samples. If I'd criticize the sample I'd focus on the sample not being random, not too small.
    Anyway, I don't think issues of toxicity are even relevant here. If DC are having a hard time selling monthly comics in physical stores, it's disturbing. It doesn't mean DC are dying or no longer relevant. But if they were able to sell nicely two years ago other brands but Batman and today they aren't, it gives some indication that the audience that buys monthly comics isn't pleased (again, online and trade sales are something else entirely).

Stop causing trouble, dude! You don't even understand what's on those ICV2 lists. 1) They are from 100 ComicHub accounts. 100 out of roughly 3,000 total comic stores. 2) They are only ranked lists. Item 1 could sell 1 million copies, and item 2 could sell 20,000 for all we know. You want to come on here and argue about whether DC can't get a top 10 seller other than Batman, or want to make a point about Hulk selling better than Wonder Woman, then have at it. But that's literally the only information contained in your ICV2 article. Here's the intro blurb for those not using their brain Captain Nostalgia:

"During the period for which these reports were generated, there were over 100 stores using the ComicHub system. As this is a small, non-random sample of over 3,000 stores selling American comics worldwide, these rankings may not be typical for all stores, but do represent a variety of locations and store emphases."

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    It seems people are judging the sample and icv2 too harshly.
    Not at all. ICV2 is still the best online tool for non-professionals to check on market trends, have a notion of sales, etc.

What ICV2 is not, anymore, is precise enough to use for in depth analysis, specially in the case of DC. It was already only part of the picture back in the days it had exact (or close to it) numbers from Diamond from all publishers.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!