Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How does the Waiting Room work?

I was under the impression that it made the memory uploads irrelevant since it could rezz people killed before said memory uploads were a thing, like Thunderbird. But they still seem to be important? Or do the characters not fully understand it yet?

Also, did they ever explain how it was a replacement for the Crucible, since the Crucible was supposed to be about what order you get rezzed? Wouldn't it just make the queue bigger?

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

You can enter the Waiting Room voluntarily and die there instead of going to Crucible and getting squished. The Waiting Room holds souls of Mutants so they can make backups from them.

After that it's kind of vague: it's been described that putting the backup into a body also gives them their soul, or "guides" it back, so it's not just a photocopy, it's the real original.

No idea what it means in the case of say the duplicate Laura, whether she has no soul, her own soul, or some kind of split soul.

But they still need genetic material for the bodies? When they run out of genetic samples, they collect new ones from the current revived body?

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I'd assume once they grow a body back they can just get samples from the new body if they need one

In the Cerebro podcast Leah Williams that her peers in the X-Slack my explore and expound on it. I'm hoping its Al Ewing.

But doesnt seem like anyone is picking up the seeds.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I just hope they have free food and booze in there.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    You can enter the Waiting Room voluntarily and die there instead of going to Crucible and getting squished. The Waiting Room holds souls of Mutants so they can make backups from them.
    This doesn't really answer why it changes the order around instead of just making the queue bigger. Nor does it explain Thunderbird coming back.

Astonishing Member

Well Thunderbird could come back because Wanda's spell when creating the Waiting Room was explicitly said to allow Cerebro to scan through all of existing time and space in search of any mutants who fell through the cracks....and thus any mutants who had already died as of the time of the Waiting Room's CREATION, when Wanda first cast her spell, were thus backed up and ushered into the Waiting Room, even if they'd died before Cerebro ever went online (like John), or presumably even much earlier.

Knowing that Williams never intended Trial of Magneto to be its own thing and originally wanted to introduce the Waiting Room as just another arc in X-Factor, I'm really curious what her plans were for the Room had the series kept going.

I could easily see X-Factor's purview having been expanded to be a mix of its original mission statement and Marauders' time-travel jaunts if say, there was some means by which ancient or long-dead mutants who found themselves in the Waiting Room could reach out to the living via telepathic sendings, astral projections/hauntings and dreamwalking in order to try and steer living mutants like X-Factor to where they could find their remains to faciliate their own resurrections....even if they originally died long before even Sinister was born, and thus weren't in his DNA library.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 11-30-2022 at 05:23 PM.

Let’s see if they ever get to clean up their „already resurrected“ mess from earlier times. Petra, Sway, Changeling,..

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I really prefer people go through the Crucible, that makes it a harder decision for them and adds a bit of drama.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

The Waiting Room works like, if a writer wants to bring back a long-dead character, they can do so, unless they don't want that to happen like with the pre-dinosaur mutant civilisation from Marauders that makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I really prefer people go through the Crucible, that makes it a harder decision for them and adds a bit of drama.
    Can't once they realized they were romanticizing murder/suicide.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Can't once they realized they were romanticizing murder/suicide.
    But all the young adults will just sod off back to Goth/Vampire/Neil Gaiman fiction now!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    But they still need genetic material for the bodies? When they run out of genetic samples, they collect new ones from the current revived body?
    I don't think they can run out of samples since they just generate what they need from the DNA sequences Sinister has on record.
    "Cable was right!"

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    Let’s see if they ever get to clean up their „already resurrected“ mess from earlier times. Petra, Sway, Changeling,..
    They just wrote them off as delusions created by Vulcans mind