Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    that comic seems interesting, i want to read it
    I mean, for the Phil Noto art alone...
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Her less scary outfit turns out to be a sweater and a ponytail. I noticed one oddity - someone calls her Ms. Jones, but she corrects them with Jones-Cage. Since when has Jessica combined her name with Luke's?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Her less scary outfit turns out to be a sweater and a ponytail. I noticed one oddity - someone calls her Ms. Jones, but she corrects them with Jones-Cage. Since when has Jessica combined her name with Luke's?
    I mean, legally she is Jones-Cage. I feel like someone has called her that before.

Have seen some speculation that this issue is not following our Jessica, but rather a variant, and our Jessica is one of the variants she encounters at the end (the one that looks normal). The continuity placement of this book based on the status quo of Purple Man & Matt seems odd, and they make a weirdly big deal of her being a coffee addict as if they're talking about alcohol.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

This was a really solid first issue, and although I know Simone has largely been DC exclusive but it seems like a crime that she hasn't done a Jessica Jones book before. The whole, tough as nails street level hero is just something Simone nails perfectly.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Well, she's best known as Barbara Gordon's writer, isn't she? First on Birds of Prey (which means she's also written Huntress and Black Canary), and then the New 52 Batgirl series. But this isn't her first Marvel work. She's had runs on Deadpool and Domino.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Categ..._Simone/Writer

Fun fact, in BOP she created a character called Sin, no surname, who becomes Black Canary's ward. When the character was used in Arrow, her last name was Simone - they'd named her after Gail.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

So? DC Comics do exist in Earth-616 (they tend to be fictional, while Marvel's are biographical). So Jessica would know what a Crisis is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post

"Crisis"? There is a multiverse problem, and she had to go and call it a "Crisis"?
    "Green Muscle" - Hulk Jess next?

No. She-Hulk's showing up. Three pages before this, Jess gets in an Uber, and calls Jennifer, saying "I need some green muscle".

But this isn't her first Marvel work. She's had runs on Deadpool and Domino.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Categ..._Simone/Writer
    Indeed. But let's not forget that in-between those two series, she also did Agent X
    An underrated series that I remember reading & that I found most enjoyable (XD)

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-02-2022 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Simone had a nice run on DP and Agent X .

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I enjoyed this first issue of Variants. But I do have a question--
    why this, and not a series simply about Jessica Jones (-Cage). This seems like it's going to become complicated unnecessarily, when Jessica herself, simply, is such a teriffic character with a strong background, an established, assembled (sorry) supporting cast of "guest-star" caliber?

I think just the plotline of Jessica's being 'the only one' who really understands what Maria Snyder underwent when Killgrave took over her mind would be deeply sufficient to hold my interest, without all the variants piling in. I'm so-so on Simone, having enjoyed much of her work, but also disliking some of it, as well. So we'll see how I take to this one.

And one more question: right now, this's the first Marvel title I've picked up in several months; did they print the 'DEATH TO THE MUTANTS' ad on the inside front cover of all their this-month's titles? I found it VERY distracting and confusing right at the start, more so than most ads placed there, directly across from the full-page splash opening the story. I'm wondering if it got moved to the ifc to fit in the Neal Adams tribute. Anyone know?
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

No. She-Hulk's showing up. Three pages before this, Jess gets in an Uber, and calls Jennifer, saying "I need some green muscle".
    That's right... but given the topic of this comic, I wouldn't be surprised if someone takes down the wall, Jessica expects it to be She-Hulk, and it turns out to be "Jess-Hulk" instead.

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    I enjoyed this first issue of Variants. But I do have a question--
    why this, and not a series simply about Jessica Jones (-Cage). This seems like it's going to become complicated unnecessarily, when Jessica herself, simply, is such a teriffic character with a strong background, an established, assembled (sorry) supporting cast of "guest-star" caliber?

I think just the plotline of Jessica's being 'the only one' who really understands what Maria Snyder underwent when Killgrave took over her mind would be deeply sufficient to hold my interest, without all the variants piling in. I'm so-so on Simone, having enjoyed much of her work, but also disliking some of it, as well. So we'll see how I take to this one.

And one more question: right now, this's the first Marvel title I've picked up in several months; did they print the 'DEATH TO THE MUTANTS' ad on the inside front cover of all their this-month's titles? I found it VERY distracting and confusing right at the start, more so than most ads placed there, directly across from the full-page splash opening the story. I'm wondering if it got moved to the ifc to fit in the Neal Adams tribute. Anyone know?
    To answer the first question, multiverse stories with variants are a current trend that Marvel are using. This would be the 4th miniseries that relies on it.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 07-04-2022 at 10:44 AM. Reason: I forgot about Kamala's miniseries.