Mighty Member

Default Does the spider have a backstory?

Has Marvel expanded on the spider before it got radiated and bit Peter? Was it male? Female? What was its' hopes and ddreams? Will it have its own movie someday?

The spider is female, she got a story in Marvel's Voices for some inexplicable reason, it became sentient because it bit Spidey and Cindy, and is a hero that eats the villains.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Godde...er)_(Earth-616)

Also she's powered by gamma radiation, which makes no sense, 'cause if that was the case, Spidey, Cindy and Carl King would be powered by gamma too.

Speaking of Carl King, the story went out of its way how to explain how there was a body for him to eat too, while the spider is still alive, which's someone bothered to explain this, even more baffling someone even remembers Carl King lol.

So yeah, a movie about the spider wouldn't be far fetched with this story .

To think I only learned of this nonsense 'cause TV tropes has an article about the spider that I found at random, I was not ready for this story lol.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 07-07-2022 at 11:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Amazing Member

This thread might give Sony some ideas about another spin-off movie...

The Peter-Silk-Carl thread was already getting a little unbelievable before Voices added the whole new backstory.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    The spider is female, she got a story in Marvel's Voices for some inexplicable reason, it became sentient because it bit Spidey and Cindy, and is a hero that eats the villains.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Godde...er)_(Earth-616)

Also she's powered by gamma radiation, which makes no sense, 'cause if that was the case, Spidey, Cindy and Carl King would be powered by gamma too.

Speaking of Carl King, the story went out of its way how to explain how there was a body for him to eat too, while the spider is still alive, which's someone bothered to explain this, even more baffling someone even remembers Carl King lol.

So yeah, a movie about the spider wouldn't be far fetched with this story .

To think I only learned of this nonsense 'cause TV tropes has an article about the spider that I found at random, I was not ready for this story lol.
    To be technical, the spider's corpse was experimented on with gamma radiation, which reanimated it (since gamma radiation comes from a previously unknown level of hell, below all the other known hells, as per Al Ewing's Immortal Hulk) and unexpectedly duplicated it as well. Far as I recall at the moment, it's the duplicate that's been crawling around in the shadows of Marvel continuity ever since, though I am curious to see what Spider-Man's (and Silk's) reaction would be to discovering its/her existence.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by A Maze Thing View Post
    This thread might give Sony some ideas about another spin-off movie...
    "Before the man, there was a spider", or some dumb sentence among those lines .

Quote Originally Posted by jda95 View Post
    The Peter-Silk-Carl thread was already getting a little unbelievable before Voices added the whole new backstory.
    Honestly, Carl King is someone who I thought was quietly retconned away from existing, 'cause the Spidey/Cindy connection was goofy enough as is, having Carl King too makes it far goofier, then comes this story that explicitly mentions all three... Man lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    To be technical, the spider's corpse was experimented on with gamma radiation, which reanimated it (since gamma radiation comes from a previously unknown level of hell, below all the other known hells, as per Al Ewing's Immortal Hulk) and unexpectedly duplicated it as well.
    If the spider was irradiated with gamma afterwards then they did a pretty bad job explaining that, since all they say is that some experiments were done that made the spider be cloned, and the next page has them saying that she was irradiated with gamma, but they don't talk like their experiments on her used gamma, so at least it made me think that they were saying the radiation from Isotope Accelerator was gamma lol.

Far as I recall at the moment, it's the duplicate that's been crawling around in the shadows of Marvel continuity ever since,
    I wonder about that, the spider says she was ripped in two, but then at the end says she felt she's connected with Spidey and Cindy, saying that without them, there would be no her, and without her, there would be no them, that makes it sound like she's the original, or at least the spider believes to be the case, I'd say that line can be more of an indication she's the original.

Carl King eating the duplicate could somewhat explain why his powers are so different now that I think about it, but even that could be explained away as eating a radiocative spider's corpse being very different from being bitten by it.

Even then, maybe they both can be considered the original, fact that the wording is "duplicate" and not "clone" is worth keeping in mind.

though I am curious to see what Spider-Man's (and Silk's) reaction would be to discovering its/her existence.
    Initial reaction would be "what" lol.

After that, it depends how much they learn, letting a giant spider crawl around in new york could terrorize people, but I don't see them trying to get rid of the spider because of that, at best, they could try to find a place for it to stay during the day.

Spidey in particular wouldn't be happy over the spider eating people, and while Cindy likely doesn't have a no kill code that is as strong, I don't see her being comfortable with it either, specially if they learn the spider eats muggers.

Maybe they could try to stop it because of that, or try to find alternate food sources, or whatever else, I dunno, at the very least they'll try to find a way to stop it from eating people either by punching it, or I dunno, finding a place with a million insects lol.

Mighty Member

Y'know, even though I was being flip with my post, I had a feeling Marvel really would squeeze as much out of the Spider-man mythos as they could. Thanks for solidifying my suspicions!

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Y'know, even though I was being flip with my post, I had a feeling Marvel really would squeeze as much out of the Spider-man mythos as they could. Thanks for solidifying my suspicions!
    You're very welcome. Personally, I'd have tied the spider to Mark Millar's idea in Marvel Knights Spider-Man #9 that there was a hidden consortium of corporate executives and political operators fearing superheroes would interfere with their machinations for power and profit unless they were distracted by more overt criminality, which the corporate execs and political operators proceeded to provide by way of colorfully costumed "supervillains" engineered, enhanced, and/or equipped by them. The spider would have been part of that project, with the intent to bioengineer a spider-themed supervillain . . . but obviously that didn't work out after it bit Peter Parker.

Mighty Member

I have to correct myself... I should have "CONFIRMED my suspicions". There, now I can sleep at night

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    I have to correct myself... I should have "CONFIRMED my suspicions". There, now I can sleep at night
    Once again, very welcome.

BANNED

I do not want to be mean and with all due respect to the original post...Why do we need a backstory for the spider?
    It was a spider that ended in the wrong place (or right place if we take the Spider Totem seriously) at the wrong time, it got exposed to the stuff, it bit Peter and Cindy and later was eaten by a gorilla mistaken to be a human and that's was all.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I had forgotten this so thanks, I now have another story to add to my list of terrible retcons that are actively damaging to the franchise. Lol.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I had forgotten this so thanks, I now have another story to add to my list of terrible retcons that are actively damaging to the franchise. Lol.
    What, Carl King? The most damaging thing about him is how he was apparently some other bully besides Flash, and uh, that's it, still rather forgettable and doesn't mess with Ditko's run much.

What, Carl King? The most damaging thing about him is how he was apparently some other bully besides Flash, and uh, that's it, still rather forgettable and doesn't mess with Ditko's run much.
    Besides, the Lee-Ditko run didn't focus all that much on Peter's high school life compared to more modern retellings of his early years/days as Spider-Man in the first place, so it's not like it wouldn't be fertile ground for expansion.