Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast

Default An issue of representation. Not one major Spider-Hero is canon LGBTQ

In recent years the Spider-Man franchise has taken to becoming a more diverse and inclusive franchise beyond Peter Parker. The theme is that anyone could put on the mask.

It's important to note that Spider-Man is a big deal. The biggest deal in Marvel. But there is still one group that has never truly gotten representation under the Spider name. And that is the LGBTQ community.

Not a single major Spider is canonically LGBTQ. Not one who has headlined their own title.

Now, you might say "there have been LGBTQ Spiders before" and this is true. But they weren't what I would call a major character. The closest would be Ultimate Jessica Drew. She never had her own title where she was the headline star. She hasn't appeared in years. And she will always be secondary to the original Jessica Drew. (She was also a female clone of Ultimate Peter Parker, which opens up a whole can of worms.)

That can't be it, you must be thinking. And it isn't. There was an LGBTQ Spider-MJ introduced in Exiles. She never joined the team and only showed up for a few issues. And then she was killed rather unceremoniously in Spider-Verse.

And I think that might be it. There are other LGBTQ characters in Spider-Man comics like Black Cat, but they aren't a Spider. They don't bare the moniker of "Spider." This is far too short. This is something that must be corrected.

Black Cat is part of the spiderman family. So there is your LGBT representation. Ghost Spider is asexual which honestly that's fine. But if there has to be a spider person to be LGBT at least make it a new one. Sorta like Jon Kent on Superman. New character.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Black Cat is part of the spiderman family. So there is your LGBT representation. Ghost Spider is asexual which honestly that's fine. But if there has to be a spider person to be LGBT at least make it a new one. Sorta like Jon Kent on Superman. New character.
    Black Cat is not a "Spider." So it comes up very short.

The people that run the Marvel wiki don't think Gwen is asexual. And she certainly doesn't come across that way in adaptations, which is where people really learn about the character. (And she gets used on covers kissing Miles or hanging around Peter as if she were one of his girlfriends.)

DC is unafraid to have an LGBTQ Superman. But Marvel doesn't have one major LGBTQ Spider to their name.

BANNED

I'd like to see Jessica return.

Not a whole lot of people LIKE Jon being bi-sexual either.

It's mainly an issue of small sample size. Plus, some of the characters are clones of Peter Parker, or alternate universe versions of characters who are straight (IE- Spider-Gwen.)

The developments about Tim Drake and Jonathan Kent being bisexual have occurred in the last year.

I'm sure there will soon be a LGBTQ spider-character. It's just a matter of timing when they decide to introduce new spider-heroes. The comics were focusing on other stuff for the last few years. I would guess the next spider-verse team-up (which will inevitably happen with the two upcoming spider-verse movies) will introduce a new LGBTQ Spider-hero.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Black Cat is not a "Spider." So it comes up very short.

The people that run the Marvel wiki don't think Gwen is asexual. And she certainly doesn't come across that way in adaptations, which is where people really learn about the character. (And she gets used on covers kissing Miles or hanging around Peter as if she were one of his girlfriends.)

DC is unafraid to have an LGBTQ Superman. But Marvel doesn't have one major LGBTQ Spider to their name.
    I don't think Felicia is an insignificant character though given she was prominent enough to get her own solo book that ran for a decent amount of issues. She's not a "Spider" but she's arguably more relevant to the franchise than actual Spiders, like Jessica Drew.

Of course the amount of Gwen adaptions that really adapt her like she was in the comics (especially the Latour run) is few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think Felicia is an insignificant character though given she was prominent enough to get her own solo book that ran for a decent amount of issues. She's not a "Spider" but she's arguably more relevant to the franchise than actual Spiders, like Jessica Drew.

Of course the amount of Gwen adaptions that really adapt her like she was in the comics (especially the Latour run) is few and far between.
    Black Cat is a Spider-adjacent character, but she's not a Spider. She doesn't get brought in for the big Spider-Verse crossovers. It's all about the branding.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Black Cat is bigger than a LOT of Spider-characters.She's had 2 solos and multiple one-shots, much more than other Spiders.

This is my problem w/ OP's problem, they don't acknowledge rep unless it's exactly the way they want it and where they want it.Not only do they say it needs to be under the Spider-man umbrella it also needs to be a character w/ Spider in the name as if that makes any diff.

Black Cat is a character under the Spider-man franchise and it's fantastic rep!

Extraordinary Member

Black Cat is a Spider-adjacent character, but she's not a Spider. She doesn't get brought in for the big Spider-Verse crossovers. It's all about the branding.
    Argument doesn't hold weight when even Peter was barely in the last Spider-verse event

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Black Cat is bigger than a LOT of Spider-characters.She's had 2 solos and multiple one-shots, much more than other Spiders.

This is my problem w/ OP's problem, they don't acknowledge rep unless it's exactly the way they want it and where they want it.Not only do they say it needs to be under the Spider-man umbrella it also needs to be a character w/ Spider in the name as if that makes any diff.

Black Cat is a character under the Spider-man franchise and it's fantastic rep!
    It does make a difference. The whole point is "anyone can wear the mask."

https://www.reddit.com/r/MadeMeSmile...rmans_costume/

Argument doesn't hold weight when even Peter was barely in the last Spider-verse event
    Quite a few Peters were quite prominent in Spider-Geddon. Like this Peter.

Extraordinary Member

It does make a difference. The whole point is "anyone can wear the mask."

https://www.reddit.com/r/MadeMeSmile...rmans_costume/
    Yes, that doesn't mean everyone IS wearing the mask

I don't have a Spider-character of my nationality, ethnicity or culture.Heck I don't even have rep anywhere close to 1610 Jessica for me in all of Marvel.Should I whine about bad rep under the Spider-franchise specifically or look at Marvel as a whole at the very minimum

Again the problem w/ your argument is that it can be used until we have dozens of Spiders/Bats/Supers/Flashes for every gender, race, nationality, etc. in the already overpopulated main canon world(or even just NYC or USA) w/ multiple Spiders whereas what Stan meant was that everyone can imagine themselves as Spider-man under the mask which is why I relate to him more than anyone else even though I don't share his race, etc.

If you made this argument for Marvel as a whole I'd be on your side, but not only do you want it to be under Spider-man franchise but a character w/ the name Spider in it which is extremely specific.Black Cat is valid rep... and bigger than many/most Spiders rn

I'd even be more on your side if you atleast acknowledged Black Cat as good rep under the Spider-man franchise but you don't even do that

I wish I had a Black Cat like rep for myself in all of Marvel and here you are saying that she doesn't even count lmfao

Also Stan was against the idea of Peter being bi btw

Quite a few Peters were quite prominent in Spider-Geddon. Like this Peter.

"Prominent"

If he was prominent in that event then 1610 Jessica is a prominent Spider-character
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 03-12-2022 at 09:17 PM.

Yes, that doesn't mean everyone IS wearing the mask

I don't have a Spider-character of my nationality, ethnicity or culture.Heck I don't even have rep anywhere close to 1610 Jessica for me in all of Marvel.Should I whine about bad rep under the Spider-franchise specifically or look at Marvel as a whole at the very minimum

Again the problem w/ your argument is that it can be used until we have dozens of Spiders for every gender, race, nationality, etc. in the already overpopulated main canon world(or even just NYC or USA) w/ multiple Spiders whereas what Stan meant was that everyone can imagine themselves as Spider-man under the mask which is why I relate to him more than anyone else even though I don't share his race, etc.

If you made this argument for Marvel as a whole I'd be on your side, but not only do you want it to be under Spider-man franchise but a character w/ the name Spider in it which is absurd.Black Cat is valid rep...

I wish I had a Black Cat like rep for myself in all of Marvel and here you are saying that she doesn't even count lmfao

Also Stan was against the idea of Peter being bi btw

I don't see Black Cat with this group, do you? I'm sorry but saying "Black Cat" isn't a shield to be used to protect against criticism. Felicia's great, but she isn't a Spider. (Also, there can be more than one LGBT character in a franchise. Bluebird isn't the only LGBT member of the Bat-Family.)

Spider-Man is the biggest IP that Marvel owns. The fact that the closest thing to a major LGBT Spider is Ultimate Jessica Drew? A character who has never headlined her own title and hasn't appeared in years and is the variant to another character with the same name? Not a great look.

The rest of Marvel is irrelevant to this conversation. Because this is a discussion about Spider-Man/the Spider-Verse. There are a lot of people who only care about Spider-Man/the Spider-Verse.

(As for Stan being against Peter being LGBT, nobody thinks that Peter will be revealed as LGBT. Marvel themselves have that in their contract with Sony that Peter can only be a straight white male.)

"Prominent"

If he was prominent in that event then 1610 Jessica is a prominent Spider-character
    I don't know under what definition the Insomniac Spider-Man isn't prominent in Spider-Geddon. The entire prologue issue to the event revolves around him and Otto's Superior Spider-Man.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 03-12-2022 at 09:37 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I don't see Black Cat with this group, do you? I'm sorry but saying "Black Cat" isn't a shield to be used to protect against criticism. Felicia's great, but she isn't a Spider. (Also, there can be more than one LGBT character in a franchise. Bluebird isn't the only LGBT member of the Bat-Family.)

Spider-Man is the biggest IP that Marvel owns. The fact that the closest thing to a major LGBT Spider is Ultimate Jessica Drew? A character who has never headlined her own title and hasn't appeared in years and is the variant to another character with the same name? Not a great look.

The rest of Marvel is irrelevant to this conversation. Because this is a discussion about Spider-Man/the Spider-Verse. There are a lot of people who only care about Spider-Man/the Spider-Verse.

(As for Stan being against Peter being LGBT, nobody thinks that Peter will be revealed as LGBT. Marvel themselves have that in their contract with Sony that Peter can only be a straight white male.)
    "Ay look there's no Black Cat in this fanart of mostly Spider-MEN I posted" There aren't any Spider-women either either than in the corner.And Black Cat is more prominent than most of the people in that pic.Also maybe post it in better quality

God you must be trolling rn

Black Cat is part of the Spider-man franchise and she is valid rep.And the rest of Marvel isn't irrelevant, that's like saying I don't care what rep they have w/ other Spiders since I only care about Peter...

Great, Black Cat is still a part of Spider-man/The Spider-verse and more relevant than most of the Spiders you've shown.

"Nobody thinks Peter will be revealed as LGBT" just log onto twitter.That's all they think about

It's funny because I think it would be great if Gwen or Miles came out but the way you disregard any rep that isn't exactly the way you want it is what makes me disagree w/ you

I don't know under what definition the Insomniac Spider-Man isn't prominent in Spider-Geddon. The entire prologue issue to the event revolves around him and Otto's Superior Spider-Man.
    Prologue -> Prominent in the event?

Miles and Otto were what you would call prominent lmfao

"Ay look there's no Black Cat in this fanart of mostly Spider-MEN I posted" There aren't any Spider-women either either than in the corner.And Black Cat is more prominent than most of the people in that pic.Also maybe post it in better quality

God you must be trolling rn
    That's not fanart. That's an official piece that Marvel commissioned for the original Spider-Verse storyline by Gabriele Dell'otto. (It was a series of interlocking covers.)

Black Cat is part of the Spider-man franchise and she is valid rep.And the rest of Marvel isn't irrelevant, that's like saying I don't care what rep they have w/ other Spiders since I only care about Peter...
    The rest of Marvel is irrelevant to this conversation. This is a conversation about Spider-Man/The Spider-Verse. I know the Tom Holland films make it look like Iron Man is important to Spider-Man, but he isn't.

As for Black Cat, I already said what needed to be said (which you will see later in this post).

Great, Black Cat is still a part of Spider-man/The Spider-verse and more relevant than most of the Spiders you've shown.

"Nobody thinks Peter will be revealed as LGBT" just log onto twitter.That's all they think about

It's funny because I think it would be great if Gwen or Miles came out but the way you disregard any rep that isn't exactly the way you want it is what makes me disagree w/ you
    You're still using Black Cat as a shield. It's really quite gross. The fact that you can only name her, someone who isn't even a Spider, is kind of the problem, isn't it?

I've discussed the importance of an LGBT Spider for reasons of representation. Black Cat is not a spider. She is also not always a hero (which people want to see themselves as).

Prologue -> Prominent in the event?

Miles and Otto were what you would call prominent lmfao

He has an arc in this storyline, which is more than you can say for most characters in this event. Under no circumstance could I say that Insomniac Spider-Man isn't "prominent" in Spider-Geddon.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 03-12-2022 at 10:39 PM.