Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I'd do it if only to see Kaine more often but I def. see him being sidelined tf out of comics like Tim and Bobby so don't know.

People will only care about how they could relate Kaine to Peter and then their ship so I'd rather they not.Maybe if he gets a solo out of it

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I'd do it if only to see Kaine more often but I def. see him being sidelined tf out of comics like Tim and Bobby so don't know.

People will only care about how they could relate Kaine to Peter and then their ship so I'd rather they not.Maybe if he gets a solo out of it
    Tim's the main Robin in the upcoming Zdarsky book so there's that.

I wouldn't even make it like a defining thing about Kaine. Just show him with dudes sometimes.

As for shippers, they can't be controlled so you know withourt any implication they're going to decide two characters should be together regardless of anything that happens in reality.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    Tim's the main Robin in the upcoming Zdarsky book so there's that.

I wouldn't even make it like a defining thing about Kaine. Just show him with dudes sometimes.

As for shippers, they can't be controlled so you know withourt any implication they're going to decide two characters should be together regardless of anything that happens in reality.
    Yeah that's great, looking forward to it

Yeah that would be the way they SHOULD do it but seems unlikely

Co-signed

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    In recent years the Spider-Man franchise has taken to becoming a more diverse and inclusive franchise beyond Peter Parker. The theme is that anyone could put on the mask.

It's important to note that Spider-Man is a big deal. The biggest deal in Marvel. But there is still one group that has never truly gotten representation under the Spider name. And that is the LGBTQ community.

Not a single major Spider is canonically LGBTQ. Not one who has headlined their own title.

Now, you might say "there have been LGBTQ Spiders before" and this is true. But they weren't what I would call a major character. The closest would be Ultimate Jessica Drew. She never had her own title where she was the headline star. She hasn't appeared in years. And she will always be secondary to the original Jessica Drew. (She was also a female clone of Ultimate Peter Parker, which opens up a whole can of worms.)

That can't be it, you must be thinking. And it isn't. There was an LGBTQ Spider-MJ introduced in Exiles. She never joined the team and only showed up for a few issues. And then she was killed rather unceremoniously in Spider-Verse.

And I think that might be it. There are other LGBTQ characters in Spider-Man comics like Black Cat, but they aren't a Spider. They don't bare the moniker of "Spider." This is far too short. This is something that must be corrected.
    It's because liberal capitalism sees race and gender as bigger/more essential identities to a person than their orientation. We see it in how words are arranged... "a gay black person", "a lesbian woman", etc. As if orientation is less of a social construct than race or anything else.

The most promoted Spiders besides Peter... Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen, Miguel O'Hara, maybe Mayday (she's died down a lot)... They all tick off the race and gender box, and Marvel called it a day (for now).

Hopefully we get an LGBTQ Spider this decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    It's because liberal capitalism sees race and gender as bigger/more essential identities to a person than their orientation. We see it in how words are arranged... "a gay black person", "a lesbian woman", etc. As if orientation is less of a social construct than race or anything else.

The most promoted Spiders besides Peter... Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen, Miguel O'Hara, maybe Mayday (she's died down a lot)... They all tick off the race and gender box, and Marvel called it a day (for now).

Hopefully we get an LGBTQ Spider this decade.
    Well, there's also an implicit order in how we arrange information/adjectives in the English language. It's actually a pretty interesting aspect of our language that often goes unnoticed.

-Pav, who loves studying how language works...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think Felicia is an insignificant character though given she was prominent enough to get her own solo book that ran for a decent amount of issues. She's not a "Spider" but she's arguably more relevant to the franchise than actual Spiders, like Jessica Drew.

Of course the amount of Gwen adaptions that really adapt her like she was in the comics (especially the Latour run) is few and far between.
    This needs to change. Jessica Drew does deserve to be a reoccurring character in the pages of ASM. The problem as of late with Jessica is the fact that the writers of her series focus too much on the old Spider-Woman books of the 1970's and early 1980's where then EiC Jim Shooter mandated that Spider-Man should not be involved in the pages of Spider-Woman. The last writer never took advantage of having her become a guest in the ASM and Spider-Man appearing in Spider-Woman as a guest. There is a lot of potential between Jessica and Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    This needs to change. Jessica Drew does deserve to be a reoccurring character in the pages of ASM. The problem as of late with Jessica is the fact that the writers of her series focus too much on the old Spider-Woman books of the 1970's and early 1980's where then EiC Jim Shooter mandated that Spider-Man should not be involved in the pages of Spider-Woman. The last writer never took advantage of having her become a guest in the ASM and Spider-Man appearing in Spider-Woman as a guest. There is a lot of potential between Jessica and Peter.
    Certainly not in the way you hope given the premise of this thread.

Astonishing Member

I feel that Kaine Parker would had been better serve as a member of the X-Men/X-Force than to be stuck in limbo at the Spider Office. I miss the days where departments would exchange characters with each other for their respected stories. All we get now is satiation of the same characters. As for LGBTQ, bring this character back as she was already established:

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix6/s...-earth8545.htm
    https://www.cbr.com/how-spider-man-w...ers-hooked-up/

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I feel that Kaine Parker would had been better serve as a member of the X-Men/X-Force than to be stuck in limbo at the Spider Office. I miss the days where departments would exchange characters with each other for their respected stories. All we get now is satiation of the same characters. As for LGBTQ, bring this character back as she was already established:

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix6/s...-earth8545.htm
    https://www.cbr.com/how-spider-man-w...ers-hooked-up/
    Already mentioned. She was never a major character and was killed rather unceremoniously as part of the original Spider-Verse event.

Amazing Member

They'd never do it with Peter or Miles.

So, you are left with c/d listers or a new character as your choices.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

I always thought Kaine should be bi.
    It's funny you mention that because when I read Yost's run, back when he found out Donald (that's the doctor, right?) was married to the police officer he said "that wasn't a problem", but Kaine's been so much grief that I thought he could actually raise an eyebrow and make a small scene out of it. Not flat-out full homophobic or something, but he spent the better (worse?) part of his life looking at things the wrong way and taking a shortcut to deal with them - his issue was always more with his pain and lack of acceptance, but he took a shortcut in hounding Ben (and then Peter for a little while). Now, granted, thankfully that was NOT the case, but it seems like he'd been through so much crap he might actually view it a little distorted the same way much of his life was Peter's upbringing viewed through a very distorted lens of pain and rejection.

Think of what a chaotic situation Kaine and Dakkan hooking up would be.
    I get the impression he'd get the lethal Mark of Kaine very shortly. Kaine tries to get the job done even if it means getting his hands dirty, but Daken really seems on a different ballpark altogether.

At least he was until he got killed off the 2nd time. Then Taylor was writing him as someone who was trying to find his balance and likely trying to bring him closer to what current Kaine is, then there was a Return of Wolverine one shot where he just said he needed to kill his father himself. So yeah.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Maybe it's time for Marvel to finally introduce a mainline Spider-Boy who can be LGBTQ? Saves the hassle of people complaining about retcons.

Spectacular Member

Please make no mistake; I'd never want to say Peter has no part in encouraging Black cat to be her better self(and the reverse is likewise true). I just feel like people sometimes embellish how flawed she'd be(hence my emphasis on unrepentant supervillain), including herself. Her post-BND mischaracterization absolutely exasperated the situation. Spencer had some lousy ideas, but I'm grateful he did right by Felicia.

It's a valid concern; it's not fun to set up couples while intending to split them up.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    As others have already stated, I hadn't suggested we make Peter bisexual because his co-creator went out of his way to request his creation remain straight. Fans might raise their eyebrows at the injunction, but Stan Lee's condition is similar to JKR insisting that only British actors could play her British characters. Companies shouldn't deny a departed creator's rights to indicate his view on his character's sexuality(the only person with the liberty to challenge Lee would've been Ditko). For the record, Bendis has not demanded the same for Miles Morales.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    My problem with Spideypool is the same one I'd have with Ottoman/whatever Tumblr's calling this ship.

Norman Osborn is a character I can easily see as LGBT, and he's no more LGBTphobic than Spidey himself. As in, he's casually so, for humor's sake, and in a way that speaks less against the character and proposes the writer simply didn't recognize the implications.

However, I'm discussing a monster with a history of profoundly toxic conduct, even towards the few he values. Osborn might not consider the LGBT community less respectable than heterosexuals. After all, he picked a lesbian to be his SIC and valued her input(Akihiro was also on his team). However, he'd be sensitive to perceived hits to his masculinity and respond to biphobia like everything else, by "proving" himself as one of the biggest threats in the room. The writers would assumably boost this viciousness, so he's still taken seriously by homophobes. He'd also be nearly incapable of emotional intimacy as he spends a lot of time redirecting his issues until he has a meltdown and people around him are dead. He'd be a representation of what toxic masculinity does to queer men, and I doubt fans would want this in a Spider-man-related title. Maybe in contrast to a Spider Otto in an affectionate bisexual relationship with someone but never as an actual love interest.

Osborn shares several key traits in common with Wade Wilson, the difference is his crimes are depicted more seriously rather than Wade's lethal slapstick. Deadpool is a murderer, sadist, and serial sexual harasser, with a rap sheet longer than most other "anti-heroes" but he isn't treated as such due to the comedic nature of his series. His queer moments are often, though not all, predictable setups for punchlines. Like "Ottoman", you would have to contort Spideypool into something they're not to function together as a couple in a complementary fashion. If Peter accepted what Deadpool did with Althea I would immediately ignore the writer's work. Wade repeatedly ignores Peter's boundaries(teaching the lesson if you do it enough, you can force someone to accept your affection?), and if Parker were to ignore Deadpool's crimes, it'd make Spider-man hypocritical at best as well as an accessory to murder. A few positive moments in a relationship's love-bombing phase will not make up for all the negatives. If Peter Parker broke things off between him and Felicia Hardy because he recognized they weren't right for each other, how would Spideypool manage any better?

I appreciate the notion of a bi/pan Kaine, but why Akihiro? I know X-writers are currently trying to market Wolverine's son as someone better than he actually was, but if we're going to pair him with a mutant, why not Robert Drake, and if not a mutant, why not Jonathan Storm? Both would be less problematic alternatives for Kaine Parker than that particular 75-year-old.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jda95 View Post
    Maybe it's time for Marvel to finally introduce a mainline Spider-Boy who can be LGBTQ? Saves the hassle of people complaining about retcons.
    Kaine and Moondragon would be ideal. I think that Spider-characters are over saturated. Might be best to make Silk a lesbian, which would solve the LGBTQ spider-character.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lunala View Post
    Please make no mistake; I'd never want to say Peter has no part in encouraging Black cat to be her better self(and the reverse is likewise true). I just feel like people sometimes embellish how flawed she'd be(hence my emphasis on unrepentant supervillain), including herself. Her post-BND mischaracterization absolutely exasperated the situation. Spencer had some lousy ideas, but I'm grateful he did right by Felicia.

It's a valid concern; it's not fun to set up couples while intending to split them up.
    Absolutely

As for making a new character I'd be down for that a decade ago but we have so many Spiders that I'd rather they just do a coming out story instead